Thank you, George Couch!

by charonsdog 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Giordano
    Giordano

Than you Charonsdog you gave me a gift to start my day! Which led to this.....

My wife and I were totally well out in the 1980's....... to be honest we were totally well out by the mid 1960's. So many of our friends had left the religion that we never felt isolated.

The music from that time remained a regular part of our identify. The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Credence Clearwater the Allman Brothers......... the list was endless.

Every year the music got richer and better.

My wife and I went to our very first concert In Portchester N.Y. It was the Joe Cocker and Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour.. We were Six rows from the stage which had some thirty to forty musicians , groupies, two dogs and a couple of chickens....... I kid you not. Three hours later we left the concert stunned, slightly deaf and sprinkled with Cocker's sweat.

This old Jazz drumming youngster turned to Rock and Roll the way Moses went up a mountain and snatched up the ten commandments.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Some time in the 80's when the Queen song "Another One Bites the Dust" was popular, a CO got up on stage and was foaming at the mouth about the dangers of "debasing" music. "Another One Bites the Dust" was Exhibit A.

So, during his talk, he played a snippet of the song.

Awesome, thinks teenage me. First cool thing ever to come thru the assembly hall speakers.

Next, the CO says, "Now, listen to that same snippet, played backwards".

So next, the sound guys plays (what the CO claims) was the same snippet, but played in reverse.

It sounded like this: "Dfertrver soiyter mqwexdrtyybg".

Thee snippet ends. There is dead silence in the auditorium.

"See?" exclaims the CO. "Did you hear that?!?!? They were singing 'decide to smoke marijuana' !!!!"

A collective gasp rose from 1500 throats, as 1500 people decided that "Dfertrver soiyter mqwexdrtyybg" really DID sound like "Decide to smoke marijuana".

I remember that exact same part of the circuit assembly in Central VA. Sounds like you had "Brother" Rogers, or else he borrowed this or some CO borrowed from him.

Rogers professed to be of the "anointed", so my family was in awe of him. He gave this whole talk of what being resurrected to heaven might be like.

• sir82
    sir82

No, wasn't Rogers. Might have been Angelocas, don't remember for sure now (but I never had anyone named Rogers).

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

It has always been this way, not just with WT goobs. Dancing is the pathway to illicit sex. From the liner notes of 'Celtic Wedding' by the Chieftains regarding song # 8 - Jabadaw: This dance from Breton Cornwall was once part of a suite of four dances. The clergy, who could see in it the opportunity for debauchery led by Satan himself, was opposed to it, and though it was considered the national dance above all else, it disappeared from the suite around 1890-1900.

Sad. Such a lovely tune.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    No, wasn't Rogers.

I wonder if it was part of an outline from the Branch. Or else somebody borrowed from someone else's material.

I remember him playing the chorus of Sentimental Journey as well...and then launched into an attack on sentimentality.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was there at the time too. By the ‘ 80s I was an established elder but that did not stop me rejecting entirely that part of the WTS teaching. It did not shake my faith, at that time, in the core concepts or truth of the Borg though.

I kept quiet about my collection that included Led Zep, Queen, Deep Purple etc. Later to be added Guns & Roses ..... I never had a conscience about it, I could see they were wrong and their ideas were not from God. Later, it all passed off, the music scene moved on and the WT grumbled about disco and rap, which I didn’t like anyway.

Even recently the attitude persists. I was talking to a local elder who actually showed interest in my background and I recounted that I had this judgement at the time. He paused and solemnly said that that sounded like “ the root of my problems “

Today, all they have to avoid is tight trousers.... they have it easy !

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Thriller

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

How about the folky sounding and rather tame Grateful Dead? Played some for wife, she didn't know who it was and liked it.

Some of the "rock" stuff is great music. Try "like a diamond".

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Charons Dog Unfortunately, investing in CDs wasn't the wisest decision. I had to give all of them away when I got rid of everything last year before my overseas move. Thank goodness for Spotify!

In a way it's just as well it was CDs as getting rid of a beautiful RECORD collection really would have broken your heart!

I think today's kids with their 'downloads' missed out on that golden age of saving their pennies up for the glorious day they went down to woolies or wherever to buy the latest release.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Giodarno My wife and I went to our very first concert In Portchester N.Y. It was the Joe Cocker and Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour.. We were Six rows from the stage which had some thirty to forty musicians , groupies, two dogs and a couple of chickens....... I kid you not. Three hours later we left the concert stunned, slightly deaf and sprinkled with Cocker's sweat.

Sounds like heaven to me Giodarno!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit