Charitable works are not the foremost consideration of Christians

by Lostandfound 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Remember that from the Sermon Outline booklet for field service use.

my question would be, has WT or witnesses performed ANY charitable works, even as a secondary condition.

I know of none, maybe you do.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

my question would be, has WT or witnesses performed ANY charitable works, even as a secondary condition.

It's a high demand controlling group that expect their people not to pursue higher education, to die before accepting blood and to shun their own family members. Their attitude is that this world is so bad that isn't worth saving at the same time they keep making money any way possible. They shelter pedophiles and give the law a hard time finding them liable for it. What do you think, do they look charitable to you?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Interesting, considering "feed the poor" appears, like, 600 times in the Bible.

• menrov
    menrov

They do "spiritual charity".......... via their "spiritual paradise" ..... giving "spiritual food".....

all funded by very mundane money....

• Giordano
    Giordano

As a JW I was never encouraged to help the communities and poor in the areas I pioneered in......... a prerequisite in Christen theology.

As an ex JW and Atheist my wife and I have done charitable work for the greater good for the last 20 years and still on going.

What wicked worldy mentally diseased persons we turned out to be.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Most modern translations use the word LOVE but the King James sums this up well, spot the JW fails in this

1 Corinthians 13King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

One of the things that I despise the most about the WT is precisely their attitude around charitable work and support for the communities they have KS and go house to house preaching. There's none, no charity, no support. However, they are very cocky and self centered when they attack other religions that in fact have plenty of charity programs and do a lot for their local communities. Their attitude is based that this world isn't worth saving and that they are not part of the world, so all the glory and money should be inverted and invested in them.

I'm no fan of organized religion, but in no way am I against the important role many of them play in community programs, nonprofit organizations, schools and other community based services that they provide. The Catholic church has had many things that make people resent them, but there are Catholic charities, catholic hospitals, shelters, community educational programs, public clinics, schools, and many others. The WT, on the other hand, is extremely arrogant and selfish when it comes to that. All they care about is themselves.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

scratchme1010

quite right, foodbanks for the poor in society mainly run from churches of all kinds in U.K. Not Kingdom Halls however.

• Sorry
    Sorry

I asked that very question once (when my family started taking the truth seriously). The Elder just smiled at little me and said "Why, we do the most important, sacred charity work of them all: preaching the good news! Please remind your daddy to turn in his time."

I have to laugh, looking back at it.

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit