A site like JWFacts/JW Survey in Spanish

by StarTrekAngel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I have been pondering about this for a while. I wrote to Cedars at some point an offered to help translate his articles into Spanish but the answer was that they had all of their efforts committed. I wrote to Paul Grundy and never got an answer. I am not mad or anything. I understand they are busy and so am I. However, I've been lurking more and more into Spanish language forums and facebook pages. I am noticing a similar trend as the one I notice in my circuit. The Spanish crowd is generally unaware, not just of TTATT, but of many of the other seemingly more trivial things that go on in the JW world. I believe so is happening to a degree much larger than you would imagine, with people left in the blind because of their lack of access to information resources.

Just to give an example, last night in our book study the question in the paragraph was... who is the faithful and discrete slave?

Sister A- Just like the book mentions, a small group of anointed brothers around the world.

Elder A- Thank you sister, very good answer

Sister B- We learned from the publications that the faithful slave as Jesus predicted, is all of the anointed brothers from around the world.

Elder A- Thank you very much sister for your answer... now movin....(elder A gets interrupted by elder B)

Elder B- Now there is an interesting tidbit to be added here, brothers. This book was released several years ago and that is why it says the FD&S is all of the anointed brothers. We know, however, as it was published in 2013, that the FD&S is only the members of the GB of JWs. Not all of the anointed.

Elder A- Thank you Elder B for that clarification.

So as you can see, elder A was going to move on with confirming the old teaching. There are instances in which even the elders are either clueless or so out of focus that they answer "good" to anything the R&F says.

I have been thinking for a while about starting my own blog. I am just afraid that other life commitments would not allow me to give it the attention it deserves. I am about to start working with a therapist too and I am wondering what he would think about me putting an effort into activism. So I believe I am going to wait just a little longer to see what he recommends.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated. Haters are not.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    There was a member that was going to take JW facts and make a Spanish version, he's since disappeared from this site. I don't know if he's busy doing it or what, but if there was as many Internet site in Spanish as their is in English the Borg would be in deep do do
  • Londo111
    Londo111

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/268796/where-need-greater-ttatt-spanish

Whatever became of this discussion? I wish I knew the language to help out.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I am eager and ready. Just hope the therapist doesn't come with shit like "getting more involved is not going to help you... blah blah!"
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

I also have thought about this. The EXTJ sites and forums seem outdated. I thought about setting up a Spanish sub-reddit with a Wiki version of jwfacts.

The problem is the documentation in Spanish is not as easy to come by.

I also find that the cultural differences make for a different audience. For example, I know JW's who are aware of all the scandals, but don't care because it is a Social club for their family. They don't know, don't care about doctrine. They would be just as happy in any other church.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

That would be a great idea since the WT Org is heading in the Spanish domain.

In my area, last I heard there was 90 Spanish Congregations and only 20 English. The baptisms per convention range between 30-40 persons.

I'm sorry I wouldn't be able to help, the only thing I can write in Spanish is;

Que paa-so compa?

And I'm not even sure I spelled it right.

• Warwickslave
    Warwickslave

I'm also in the Spanish. Most older ones believe no matter what. The young ones don't which is good. I have work with the young ones in the congregation. Two of them told me they stop believing after last year branch visit. When mr Morris started going on about tight pants and socks, instead of encouraging them for what they go trough being a witness.

I do agree, with you there has to be a better site what really hurts the Spanish site is the extj when you see ex is a red light for them. Another big difference is the Spanish brothers. they don't like to complain or talk bad about the organization. They called la mama organisacion, so they find it disrespectful doing so.

I just had a single mother ask me to help her son She told me that her son said "warwickslave" is the nicest brother here, I'll add him to my list of kids that I have help learn the TATT. He is 19 years old with many possibilities in life.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Well, everyone can help by spreading the word. We can give you a prepared spanish paragraph to share. LOL

@John Aquila... you spelled like it sounds and as long as people can relate, it would have the desired effect.

• Simon
    Simon

If anyone is interested in a Spanish language forum I'd be happy to host it but it would need Spanish speakers to moderate the content - I don't know if it would make sense to add language sections to this site or have a completely separate one. I'm working on forum software vNext and can build different language support into the UI. PM me if you are interested.

I have thought about automating the translations (Google provide server-side API's) but I don't know how valuable it would be. Machine translations tend to do better for general subjects and are less reliable for the type of domain-specific language and nuances that the WTS religion is heavy with. Imagine a single cross-language community though? That would be pretty sweet ...

There are probably cultural differences in approach that make separate sites preferable but it's a shame we can't all work together more closely. I know we get a fair amount of traffic referred from the Spanish language sites (yes, the shame - they probably speak English way better than most of us speak Spanish).

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Yes. There are a good share of spanish forums but there aren't that many blogs of the fashion of JWfacts with sections regarding each doctrine. Graphs, magazine references, etc. Having a language option would be good. I think the google translate API would be a good option for those who are somewhat fluent in English and want to translate something to read it better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit