The Date for the Memorial is WRONG this year!

by Kelley959 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There is also a Thread by the incredible Leolaia, from years ago, which in addition to Jeffro's perhaps ? shows that EVERY year they get it wrong ! Their method of calculating is wrong of course, but Leolaia showed from the historical roots of Passover why it is wrong every year IIRC.

But as above, they really do not care, it gives them a feeling of superiority that they know better than the Jewish Scholars !

Many years ago when I first left, I had read Leo's Thread, and spoke about what I knew to an elderly JW lady, a former F.T. Pioneer and full on J.W, who surprised me by saying, as she walked away " I don't CARE if it is on the wrong day !", I think that attitude would be general now among J.W's.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i could never understand the words "see" a new moon. Surely the new moon is not visible--its in full shadow.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I tried to watch an eclipse once but the moon got in the way. ☀️ 🌒 😔

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Sounds suspiciously like a cover up...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

OMG!! If they got their memorial date wrong!!!!

OMG!!!

Their most sacred day.

If that's wrong!!!!!!

😭 ROFL,,peeing my pants. ROFL.🤣

If they got even "that" wrong.

Now,,that,,,is just priceless!!!!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know Jehovah’s Witnesses keep the early Christian practice of celebration of the Lord’s Supper once a year, rather than more frequently as is the custom in other churches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartodecimanism

But I wonder if others have come across anything about the JW practice of holding the Lord’s Evening Meal after sundown on Nisan 14, rather than say in the morning, or daytime, as many churches hold communion. Does this go back to the first Christians too?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

stan livedeath:

I could never understand the words "see" a new moon. Surely the new moon is not visible--its in full shadow.

The astronomical new moon as the term is used by modern astronomers is not illuminated at all. However, the term traditionally referred to when the first sliver of the moon became visible, generally between 1% and 3% illumination.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Phizzy:

There is also a Thread by the incredible Leolaia, from years ago, which in addition to Jeffro's perhaps ? shows that EVERY year they get it wrong ! Their method of calculating is wrong of course, but Leolaia showed from the historical roots of Passover why it is wrong every year IIRC.

My thread (from11 years ago) addressed how the date ‘presumptuously’ chosen by the ’governing body’ is not consistent with the Metonic cycle, and didn’t cover every aspect of how the Jews historically established the date for Passover. Any thread by Leolaia is definitely worth considering. (Some of the details in my thread were a little hastily thrown together, and I also left a little trap in one of my later comments in the thread, but no one took the bait. 😉)

• St George of England
    St George of England

Remember all the fuss about the Memorial in 2014? It COULD be the last one etc...

Well they got that wrong as well:-

MEMORIAL 2014

The moon circles our earth each month. In the course of each cycle, there is a moment when the moon lines up between the earth and the sun. This astronomical configuration is termed “new moon.” At that point, the moon is not visible from the earth nor will it be until 18 to 30 hours later.

During 2014, the new moon nearest the vernal (spring) equinox will be on March 30, at 8:45 p.m. (20:45), Jerusalem time. The following sunset in Jerusalem (March 31) will come about 21 hours later. It is doubtful that the first sliver of the moon will be visible then. More likely, the first sunset when the initial crescent of the moon can be seen in Jerusalem will be on April 1. By the method the ancient Jews used, that will be the day when the first month (Nisan 1) will start, at sunset.

Hence, congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses around the earth have been informed that Nisan 14 will begin at sunset on Monday, April 14, 2014. That will be about the time of the full moon.​—For more details on calculating the date, see The Watchtower of June 15, 1977, pages 383-384.

In fact the first sliver of the new moon was clearly visible in Jerusalem on 31 March 2014 despite the GB saying otherwise. So they were a day out again.

Incidentally, as pointed out in the 1977 WT the Full Moon has nothing to do with the calculation whatever. It is 14 days from the time the sliver of the new moon is seen in Jerusalem. If you check the dates of past Memorials and the date of the full moon that month, more often than not the memorial is held when the Full Moon is a day or two different.

George

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It is interesting that the Bible Students use the Jewish Calendar and will be celebrating their Memorial on April 21 this year.

Perhaps it was Rutherford who changed the JW Memorial date to distance his followers from Russell's Bible Students. Here is the Bible Student explanation as to how they select the date for their Memorial celebration:

http://www.heraldmag.org/2005/05ma_10.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit