My favorite Cooking Pot

by Wonderment 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Although Cooking Pots are not directly "religious" subject, perhaps not many will deny that a happy belly can lead to wholesome religious thoughts and peaceful spiritual discussions.

That said, through the years I have tried most major brands of cooking pots - all the way from All-Clad to Cast-Iron Skilets - including some with the most extraordinary claims in between.

However, the one we have used the most in our kitchen is one brand from Denmark, specifically, the 5 quart pot called "Scanpan." It is now approaching 40 years of daily use, and it has held-up surprisingly well. The handles are as tight as day one when we bought it. It cooks well overall.

I don't believe Scanpan will win a number one prize for Stick-Free cooking, however, in our experience it is not difficult to clean well. Minor scraping may be necessary in some situations.

I wonder what kind of experiences you guys have had in this space. Anyone willing to share opinions?

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

I have various pots and pans, but I do most of my cooking with a cheap wok.

• Blotty
    Blotty

too be fair a Cooking pot has to do with food which has to do with the belly which according to the bible can be "a god"

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the very last public talk i was supposed to give was about a wide-mouthed cooking pot. It was the last straw for me. I looked at the outline--on the sunday morning--and it made no sense to me. I had no interest and had enough.

I phoned the congregation servant--got an appointment to see him straight away--went there an resigned. Simple as that. That was 51 years ago--i was 23.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Crock pot...throw a combination together and go about your business for hours and hours. If you have put in a good combination, you will be rewarded with a tasty meal and lots of good leftovers so you don't have to cook again for a while!

• Mum
    Mum

I still favor the old-fashioned iron skillet. A well-seasoned iron skillet is naturally nonstick. It also cooks evenly and imparts some needed iron into the food.

Of course, it was the default cooking implement of my grandmother, and anything she did is OK with me.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

That you guys are still here regardless of what cooking pot you used is proof in the pudding so to speak ,that you have all done well .Glad to know you .

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Aha I could talk about this subject all day and tomorrow 🤣🥰

Scanpan is a very good brand and I believe Gordon Ramsey uses them. Of course they have different price and quality ranges within the brand, but even their standard stuff is pretty good and not cheap! They sell aluminium, anodised and stainless steel with and without non stick coating. Non stick coatings don't really last more than 3 years max usually. I have a good Danish non stick frying pan by Gastrolux.

I prefer a good old cast iron for the best sear but you loose your non stick that you've built up over time, as mum mentioned, if you cook an acidic tomato sauce in it. So for that you can't beat stainless steel, preferably 3 or 5 ply and All Clad is king there.

My favourite cookware is my Le creuset cast iron Dutch pot/casserole pot. I love Staub cocotte's too and have a small 22 cm one.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

If anyone loves cookware uncle Scott's pancast is a great find. He reviews cookware which he purchased himself so they're unbiased. Tends to be high end stuff.

Spoiler alert: as a pro chef he loves his carbon steel pans

https://youtu.be/UIQJU5iPuQo

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

If I were told I could only have one cooking pot, it would be a big iron skillet, but since I have a choice, I use mostly a crock pot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit