Moving to Minnesota

by HappyDad 21 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

You probably think I need mental counseling but I am moving from southwest Florida to Minnesota. I was just there last week in the -29 degree weather to close on a house I bought in Oakdale, Minnesota. Being a Florida resident for 5 years has taught me that it is no longer the paradise that people think it is. The only ones who can be comfortable in southwest Florida are the well heeled retirees who can afford one home in their northern home state and another one here. The working class cannot afford to live comfortable here anymore since the wages are 20 some years behind the times. Thankfully I have a half decent pension but even with that, the rent and cost of living are above what my income can do. I was lucky enough to get a VA loan even at my age. My monthly total with the mortgage, insurance, taxes and HOA fees is $300.00 a month less than what I have to pay for rent in Bonita Springs. So Minnesota is going to be my new home. Anyhow...……...the gist of this post is to see if there is anyone on this forum from the Stillwater, White Bear Lake, Mahtomedi area. If so, maybe we could have a meet up in the near future.

• blondie
    blondie

We are your neighbor. We like visiting in FL for about 2 weeks in Dec/Jan but I don't want to live where there are hurricanes, tornados, wildfires, floods, sinkholes, high humid temps, and cold temps enough to kill your flowers but not enough to ski, etc.

A meetup would be nice.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I am not that far from you. It's been a long time since I've been to any kind of meetup, could be fun.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Sorry but Minnesota sucks on several levels.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HAPPY DAD:

Good luck on your move.

Florida lost its appeal years ago. When my Aunt moved to South Florida following other relatives in the early ‘70s -she had to get a job in the school system because the only other jobs it seemed were in fast food places. So, decent jobs were never plentiful there.

When we cleaned out my Dad’s house my sister came into town from another state and she was shocked to see that the nice area he lived in was changing for the worse. Another friend in a neighboring town made the same observation. So add all this up with rising prices, no jobs or low paying jobs and the picture is less attractive than it was decades ago. Can’t help it though. If you have to move you have to move.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Happy Dad be safe on your move. I lived in FL for 40 plus years moving away in 2011. I totally agree with what you have to say. I work in construction in that hell hole heat for most of my adult life. Wages have always been low there unless you are in insurance, banking or government. When the big mouse moved in early 1970's that was the beginning of the end for FL. Over building and the destruction of the environment was a very sad thing to see. If it was not for air conditioning hardly anyone would live there. The only good thing I can say about FL is some of the great eating places around Tarpon Springs. Take care and good luck to you in your move. Still Totally ADD

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Florida is a cesspool!!! Always too hot. Hurricanes. New Yorker retirees who think they own the fuggin' place. Cock-a-roaches the size of your palm. And now, huge pythons in the everglades, eating everything up! Oh, and huge wild boars. And hurricanes! Nah.....fugg that place. I'd rather live outside the twin cities myself. I don't mind the cold.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I grew up in Oakdale, MN. Minnesota is a beautiful state. It has all four seasons; fall, winter, spring, and June.

I can tell you this - Minnesota has some of the highest taxes anywhere in the U.S.

Be sure to research state income tax and property taxes before pulling the trigger on an out-of-state move.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

My monthly total with the mortgage, insurance, taxes and HOA fees is $300.00 a month less than what I have to pay for rent in Bonita Springs.

HappyDad ...

Just curious, did you factor in the cost of utilities in MN as compared to FL? I am originally from the Northeast (NY area) and the cost of things like electric are double or triple the price of what we pay down here (Miami). And at least here in Southeast FL, no heating bill (in fact, we don't own a heater).

I have a basic 3/2 home, have the central air conditioner running about 10-11 months a year and have rarely received a bill of more than $150 a month. And we have a totally electric home as many do here (cooking, hot water, dryer, etc.). In the "cooler" months (LOL) here, it is between $75 and $85, prices unheard of in the Northeast.

I've been here for 30 years. You just have to get used to those huge roaches (Palmetto bugs) occasionally running across the floor.

But we wish you the best in your move and hope it works out the best for you.

Rub a Dub

• tiki
    tiki

I have a friend outside Minneapolis....it was 54 below there last week.....cold is one thing....like we have in New England...but 54 below...seriously? I know I wouldn't do it. Nor Florida given hurricanes, critters and humid heat.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit