What I miss about going out in service.

by compound complex 36 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Well, very little, to be honest. The structure and commitment of the ministry provided discipline necessary to my life. Therefore, I did it, as required, and felt some sense of fulfillment at the Bible study stage.

I do like talking to people. I got that from Mom and Dad. They were kind and helpful people, always working towards the welfare of friends, family, strangers. Dad was a pioneer, Mom a nurse.

What I do now is find different avenues to interact with people. Can't help chatting up neighbors walking their dogs or a barista or a clerk at market. No longer bound by "directing interest toward the Organization," I feel free to talk about what matters to the folks I engage in conversation. Why, I am even at liberty to enter their homes, have a meal, and not fret over being set upon by the demons lurking behind a facade of kindly hospitality.

Have you found your own meaningful ways to stay in touch with humanity?

THANKS!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The best thing about going in "service" was when it was over. Nothing was accomplished other than to rid oneself of the guilt and obligation placed on you by others. You got to feel somewhat virtuous about yourself and got a sense of accomplishment buy doing little more than driving around and knocking on a few doors at empty houses. This sensation is what other JW's often mistook as "Joy".

• compound complex
    compound complex

Pete Zahut:

Good point -- This sensation is what other JW's often mistook as "Joy".

Thanks for your comment.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Have you found your own meaningful ways to stay in touch with humanity?

I have. I also understand the feeling of accomplishment, the (somewhat) sense of camaraderie or team work that comes form collectively working towards the same tasks, etc.

I teach, most of my entire work life have included teaching or training. I got involved in HIV/AIDS prevention education (talk about trying to convince uninformed people!) and ended up with an entire resume in that area of work. The good thing about the work that I did when teaching the basics on HIV infection prevention was that I ended up specializing in talking to people in churches and what they call "people of faith". As a JW I did acquired a skill that allowed me to reach out to pastors, ministers in a way that spoke to them, and therefore, being able to talk to people in their congregations about things that you don't normally talk about in a church. I was very successful.

Then I have done a lot of volunteer work around causes and social issues I believe in. That has proven to be way more fulfilling than going house to house telling people that their believes and behavior are wrong and they will get killed for it.

@ Pete Zahut:

The best thing about going in "service" was when it was over. Nothing was accomplished other than to rid oneself of the guilt and obligation placed on you by others. You got to feel somewhat virtuous about yourself and got a sense of accomplishment buy doing little more than driving around and knocking on a few doors at empty houses. This sensation is what other JW's often mistook as "Joy".

I felt like that a lot, actually for most of my life as a JW. However there were things that I did enjoy and got very good at. I was a very darn good preacher. I used to specialize in talking to very stubborn, nasty people, some of which my fellow JWs would shy away from. I loved that challenge. Today I rather use my skills in something that actually matters, but I enjoyed it when I was doing that back when I didn't know better.

• compound complex
    compound complex

scratchme1010:

I'm sure you were a very good preacher!

It's great you can use skills once acquired as a JW, today, in a way that's meaningful to you and helpful to others. Just last night I viewed, on DVD, the movie AND THE BAND PLAYED ON. What an eye opener, particularly since I went to school in San Francisco.

Thanks much and wishing you continued success. I'm happy you do well in dealing with difficult cases -- a challenge that motivates!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The best thing about going in "service" was when it was over.

Nothing was accomplished.....Pete Zahut

A Pointless Waste of Time..

Image result for waste of time clipart

• compound complex
    compound complex

OUTLAW:

Thanks, OUTLAW! A picture is worth . . . well, you know!

Best Wishes.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Best Wishes.....CC

You as well my friend..

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer
    The best thing about going in "service" was when it was over.

Here, here. It's great that some people actually got something out of it. Communication skills, confidence, etc. On me it had the opposite effect. My personality is introverted, reserved, a bit shy. I hate small talk, initiating conversations, faking friendliness, pushing ideas on people, invading their space. I don't care to be on the receiving end of it either. FS was the last thing I should've been participating in. It's too bad that in JW land, everyone is expected to do the same thing. And it's sad that spirituality is measured by how many hours you turn in each month. If I had been allowed to have a role other than preaching, something that made use of my natural talents, I might've stayed in longer.

• sir82
    sir82

The best thing about going in "service" was when it was over. Nothing was accomplished other than to rid oneself of the guilt and obligation placed on you by others.

Bingo!

Even active & zealous JWs admit this, if you listen closely.

"I got my time in for this month - now I can relax".

"I always feel so good on a Saturday at 12:00 - I've given my best to Jehovah, now I can enjoy the rest of the day doing [XYZ]."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit