Awesome New Books on JW's, MUST READ!

by johnny depp 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

Drop the price to around 15-20 $ and you might sell a few hundred more.When I looked at the price it was 70$

smiddy

• blondie
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks for the links Blondie.

I think books exposing the watchtower have limitations in the message they convey, because of:-

A) Cost.

B) The degree they inform is more the authors self-assertion than facts that can be questioned.

Also we now have websites like this which I believe have:-

A) Greater education.

B) Come free of charge.

C) And subject to the moderating of the site owner, offer people greater psychological help in coming to terms with the damaging effects of discovering a life spent in a cult than a book can ever do. So in my opinion books of this nature and the information contained in them quickly become "dated" and reach a smaller audience than the platform this site gives our voice.

The Rebel.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    no chance in a million years I'd pay almost £40 for a book on jw's whatever are the marketing people thinking of? £20 for the pair is pushing it TBH
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    He needs to offer a inexpensive electronic version. If he wants his message to get out to a wide audience.
  • Awake at last
    Awake at last

Jonny Depp, I don't know how you could afford to read them, unless you are the author of course. You certainly gave them a good write up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "What Lies Behind the Truth"... clever title.
  • steve2
    steve2

Unless of exceptional quality and convering thoughtful analysis on rarely covered aspects, new books on JWs are a waste of time and money.

I am so over the cheap and nasty tactics used by writers/publishers of the endless parade of books "exposing" the organization.

And at US $50.00 per copy even a well-written book would be off my "To Buy" list.

• Simon
    Simon

exJW books seem to fall into three categories:

Those that are a personal experience of life in the religion and the journey out of it.

Those that try to dismantle the beliefs and prove the religion is wrong.

Those that expose inside information about the inner workings and possible wrongdoings.

They are all useful and appealing to different audiences for different reasons. I think the personal stories are a hard sell from a commercial viewpoint unless they are simply a very well written and interesting life story because so few people have a natural interest. They are also weakest of the three when it comes to convincing people it isn't the truth because people can dismiss a bad experience as an anomaly or something handled badly. They do though often resonate with people who have had similar experiences - you realize "it's not just me". The personal stories that many people share for free on forums like this also fall into this group.

The doctrinal / scientific dismantling of the beliefs is appealing to those who joined because of the beliefs but I think they are in the minority - most people are there because of social and emotional reasons. But for someone leaving the religion it's often useful to put your mind at rest and end those nagging "but what if they were right" thoughts. Many times though the information is available freely on various websites.

There are very few expose books because very few people who have been high-up have left in the first place and have then written about it. Ray Franz is probably unique in the position he held and what he exposed. They are invaluable IMO as they blow out the water the notion that it is the true religion being run by some group of divinely inspired people. You see the power struggles, backstabbing and corruption of power that happens in many organizations where control is concentrated without any checks on it.

They all have a place though.

What someone wants to charge for any book is obviously up to them and the publisher and what they have put into the endeavour and what they expect to get out of it. It can also reflect people's own view of books and what they spend on things.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    Sorry I ain't paying hard cash for a book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit