Australia: Jehovah’s Witnesses to join redress scheme for child sexual abuse survivors

by yalbmert99 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Australia: Jehovah’s Witnesses to join redress scheme for child sexual abuse survivors

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/03/03/jehovahs-witnesses-redress-scheme/

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Thanks

It will be interesting to see how they word the apology to the victims and survivors.

Does that mean that ARC is no longer a apostate lie ?

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

No problem!

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

So the JWs are apparently doing the right thing!

Hmm, I wonder what their motivation is?

Could it be remorse over their past failings?

Maybe it's recognition of their moral obligation as a "spiritual" organization?

Or, could it be they're concerned with "not bringing reproach on Jehovah's name"?

Oh - they provided a quote in the article explaining why:

The organisation says it will sign up because of new rules introduced by the federal government, which mean it would lose its charity status – and subsequent tax exemptions – for continuing to hold out.

So there you have it - the reason they are joining is their utter abhorrence.

Not abhorrence of child abuse, mind you, as they often pompously proclaim.

Nope - what they really abhor is the payment of taxes.

Decades of abuse of thousands of children by thousands of JWs - but they are not moved to try to reconcile their past sins out of shame, but rather a desire to hold onto as much of their money as they can.

I don't speak Australian, but I think the term for folks like this is "F*cking wankers".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Huh. They actually caved.

Didn’t see that coming.

It’s weird...

...not surprised by the sour-grapes attitude, but definitely didn’t expect the public admission of it. I wonder if that was a specific further requirement.

Eithe way, they still haven’t come out of this looking like the good guys.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Didn't they already move all the assets out of Australia though? I thought I read something about that here.

What will happen is that they'll get the claims, file for bankruptcy and that will be it. The congregations will be restarted under a different corporation.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

It is hard to set up a multi-million dollar multi-media studio in a country where your tax exempt status has been revoked.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

The Watchtower organization incorporated is not the same organization as the bygone years of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

The world publicly entered the internet age in 1993. From that day forward the Watchtower started losing power. Now we have social media, SJW, Cancel culture, that will blow the WT away in an instant if they don't summit to the powers that are.

The Watchtower now only has control of a few members who are on the verge of finally dying off. All the WT is doing now is trying to survive as long as they can.

They don't pose any real threat in the world. Their 15 minutes of fame is up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

IMO, the real issue is...

...why is holding onto their tax-exemption so damned important?

It couldn’t possibly be because the Org’s actual survival is dependent on it, could it?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

No photo description available.

This was posted by Barbara Anderson on a FB group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit