Cedars leaked letter requested to be taken down by WTBTS

by umbertoecho 45 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• avaddohn94
    avaddohn94

I think it's very easy to say "he should have counter-noticed".

If anyone wishes to understand better what filing a counter-notice implies, you can read the following link:

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/06/03/7-common-questions-about-dmca-counter-notices/

The paperwork involved, the time it takes and the risks involved (including the possibility of getting into a time-consuming lawsuit) are not worth fighting for IMO.

• cognac
    cognac
    You should post the letter/email requesting you take it down... Hahahaha
  • out4good4
    out4good4

He said that just because a letter or other publication is made available to the public doesn't mean witnesses should read it but should instead remain obedient to the wishes of mother not to read it

ROFLMAO.......

A pissed off elder angry because he's been "scooped"!!!!

• RobertT18
    RobertT18
    I've been too busy with Uni. Any copies of this letter?
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

The WTS is panicking because Cedars has released ahead of time.

Does anyone remember these BOE lines:

"Please read this letter omitting the second page to the Congregation on the third week of October AFTER the Circuit Overseer visit. Be sure to not deviate from the letter and read it as written. Remember to not read the second page as this is for the BOE only. It is recommended the letter be read with enthusiasm. Once the announcement has been made, please be sure to destroy, and we mean really burn and destroy, the previous letter dated XYXY...."

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

A counter notification would have meant financial costs - Lloyd does not have an endless supply of dough from 8 million followers -

So.........................what can I [WE] do about getting more info out there ?

• sir82
    sir82

Who copyrights letters?

Oh, you say, paranoid high-control publishing / real estate dealing pseudo-religions? Gotcha.

• Simon
    Simon
    What would we think if Simon were issued such a notification? We would want him to fight it!
    I think Simon has complied with takedown requests in the past. Why ever wouldn't you? The information is out there, job done

Exactly.

The reality is that none of us can fight the Watchtower over a legal issue like this. It's difficult and risky enough even if we are in 100% the right but when the law is against you ... what would you accomplish other than to hand the Watchtower your own head to them on a plate?

The DMCA laws are pretty good and provide some protection against litigation provided that you comply with the take-down notice (only issuing a counter notice if you are 100% in the right - quite rare). Without the DMCA very few people could host sites critical of organizations like the Watchtower.

I've had numerous DMCA take-down requests over the years. I could jump up and down and wave my arms to get attention and claim that it proves I'm special or their no 1 enemy but really it only means that some copyrighted material was posted to the site and the owner wants it removed. If anything the WTS actually seems fairly restrained and in my experience always does things by the book (in these cases).

Your site isn't taken down (unless you are an idiot who doesn't check your emails!) and all there really is to do is to remove the content. What else can you do? Does someone expect me to put my home and family's future on the line just so someone can read a page of an elder's letter for another few days? That would be insane.

It's easy for exJW's to be all so very excited about certain things but often the things that we find so convincing are only so convincing to us because we're already convinced. Ultimately, I'm convinced that the majority of people leave the WTS because they are personally impacted by something, not for what are procedural changes.

Yes, knowledge about how the WTS works can put your mind at ease that you've made the right choice once you are out or leaving and the realization that they don't control information flows with 100% efficiency is interesting I guess but I think someone finding out about what is really just a change to the service meeting format a few days before the official announcement is getting blown a little out of proportion. That is really all we're talking about here. Hardly anything earth shattering when you really think about it!

It's a bit like someone discovering a feature of the next soon-to-be released iPad and telling the world. Well done, but it doesn't make you Steve Jobs and people will still buy their new iPad.

• freddo
    freddo

Question:

If a DMCA notice is sent then can you "reasonably" be allowed a little time to A) see it and B) Act upon it?

E.g. It's sent on Oct 1st at 10.00 am. You don't open it until the next day Oct 2nd "because you're busy and asked your wife to open your emails" and because "you were on your way for a weekend break in an area with poor internet access for a couple of days" you couldn't take it down until you got back, sort of thing.

• username
    username
    Lloyd could easily counter the DMCA if he should wish to. He is not as broke as everyone thinks he is!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit