Beards - September 2016 Watchtower

by Listener 98 Replies latest watchtower bible

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Link not working rebel...

• oppostate
  • bafh
    bafh

If God didn't want men to have beards, he wouldn't have created them with beards.

As a woman, I was always much more concerned about why it wasn't ok for me to wear pants since that has become accepted business attire which is what I was told was always the standards...

SO glad, I don't have to justify why I don't wear skirts - although my mom (TruBeliever Pioneer) the other day did say, "you're a business woman, I'm surprised you don't wear more skirts." I just told her, that most business women I knew, unless they were very corporate, wore pants, not skirts. She was puzzled.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

When presented with the fact that beards are viewed as respectable in our society, including ministers and businessmen, I've heard some witnesses retort, 'well, when was the last time a president of the united states had a beard?'

So, if presidents are our standard now instead of businessmen, that means that pantsuits should now be allowed (like Hillary Clinton)

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

'well, when was the last time a president of the united states had a beard?'

An entire culture is based on one person? Hmm.

Interesting read... http://uspolitics.about.com/od/biographies/a/Why-Arent-There-Many-Bearded-Politicians.htm

P.S. Oliver Queen, a.k.a. The Green Arrow, just became stand-in Mayor of Star City on the TV Show, Arrow. Wears a beard. This IS cultural norm these days in the U.S.

I would not at all be surprised if this paragraph stirs up a wave of beard-wearing JWs, each interpreting cultural norms their own way.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    I would not at all be surprised if this paragraph stirs up a wave of beard-wearing JWs, each interpreting cultural norms their own way.

Yes, I do believe this is the beginning of the end for the beard ban. All it takes is for one congregations body of elders to decide beards are fine locally, (and these already exist in the US, albeit rarely), and the floodgates will open after that. Within 10 years we may even have a bearded JW used for illustrations in the publications.

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I remember my bible teacher telling me to shave and I sarcastically said "Jesus has a beard." as I pointed to a depiction of Jesus in heaven from one of the magazines.

Him: "Well thats just a picture."
    me: "why would they illustrate him like this if it was frowned upon?"

I don't remember the answer but it was pretty lackluster.

The same thing when I told him I wanted a tattoo. He brought up that old testament scripture about no tattoos. Of course my response was that we are no longer under the law. He said It's not a sin, but I wouldn't get as many privileges in the congregation. so I said "So I can get one. Thanks!"

• dbq407
    dbq407

I brought up this article to my dad yesterday (who is an elder) and i said maybe they are loosening up on the beard issue? He told me they go by what is accepted by local businessmen usually as to whether or not it is ok to have a beard.

That was a new one to me. These guys really are nuts.

• Terry
    Terry

What--if any--differences or distinctions are there between:

the CUSTOMS of men

and the TRADITIONS of men?

• St George of England
    St George of England

POGONOPHOBIA

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest