Oscars

by LuckyLucy 32 Replies latest social current

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

The Fact that this Oscar program was the lowest rated Oscar program ever is very telling.

ABC'S AIRING OF OSCARS PLUNGES TO 25.4 RATING/37 SHARE, ACCORDING TO OVERNIGHTS, DOWN FROM LAST YEAR'S RECORD-LOW SCORE OF 29.1/47. UNBELIEVABLY, LAST MONTH'S 'JOE MILLIONAIRE' REACHED HIGHER SHARES IN SOME MARKETS, DEMOS THAN OSCARS. FINAL RATINGS AVAILABLE LATER.

• LB
    LB

What Moore did was akin to telling a room full of Hells Angels that Harleys are the best bikes. Try telling that room full of angels that Honda's are the best and Harleys suck.

• Sabine
    Sabine

I enjoyed the way they showed all the previous years' best actors and actresses, before announcing this year's winner. I thought Haley Berry made too big a deal of her win last year....but after seeing all the past winners....all white faces, it was quite shocking to see her black face in the end.

Haley took the unexpected kiss from the best actor winner quite well. I noticed Nicole tried to get Densel to give her a kiss when she got her oscar...he have her a half hearted peck...hehehe. Sorry, milktoast Nicole doesn't do a thing for me. I was rooting for Selma, she was incredible in Frida, my favorite movie of the year. (Stepping off soap box now)

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Those actors are so into themselves and their causes, they don't know what reality is, because they have everything given to them on a silver platter.

Since this thread is mostly about Moore, I am assuming this comment is in his direction, if not I appologize. But might I suggest you do some research on who he is and what he stands for before you label him as someone who has everything handed to him on a sliver platter.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    All those award shows have become a big platform for their causes. ...Those actors are so into themselves and their causes, they don't know what reality is, because they have everything given to them on a silver platter.

I would say that these actors know how to use publicity, and what better way to reach a world-wide audience than making a statement at the Oscars?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

joannadandy:

But might I suggest you do some research on who he is and what he stands for before you label him as someone who has everything handed to him on a sliver platter.

So true! I haven't read about his personal life but I do like what he's written. I will do more reading about him as a man, I'm currious as to what moves him to be so "in your face". That takes guts as does his speach at the Oscars, IMHO.

I got this off google about him:

Moore, the author of such best-sellers as "Downsize This!" and "Stupid White Men," previously made the documentary "Roger and Me," which examined the General Motors plant closing in Flint, Mich., that resulted in the loss of 30, 000 jobs. "Bowling for Columbine" makes the case that Americans live excessively in fear (the movie features an extensive interview with University of Southern California Professor Barry Glassner, author of "The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things") and that corporations selling security devices and bullets are among the biggest beneficiaries of this climate of fear.

Decades from now, historians will look back at "Bowling for Columbine" and say it captured the zeitgeist. Why does America lead the world in gun-related deaths, and why are there serial killers here every year? The questions that Moore asks are designed to spark debate. The answers are packaged in a way that will produce laughter, tears and anger. A film like this doesn't come along very often.

Prisca:

I would say that these actors know how to use publicity, and what better way to reach a world-wide audience than making a statement at the Oscars?

I agree totally, but then isn't that really what it's all about?

I'm guilty of not seeing a single Oscar nominated movie yet........so many movies so little time, sigh!

Katie (of the doesn't go to enough movies class)

• Farkel
    Farkel

: He has the right attitude: if people want to work with him, it should be about his skill and not his political stances.

I'm not bashing that dipfuck for his political views. I'm bashing that dipfuck for using the huge audience at the Academy Awards to promote his personal agenda.

His career is now finished. Trust me.

Remember Sinaid O'Conner (or whatever her name was) and her similiar political agenda speach at such an event? Ever hear of her after that? Nope. She's washed out. Finished. Over. Nada. No go. Toast. Done.

Dixie Dipfucks? They're career is also over.

Trust me. These people are all fools and using the wrong media to promote their personal agendas.

Farkel

• nowisee
    nowisee

i may even AGREE with what michael moore said, but i just wish he hadn't said it when and where he did because it might prevent people from opening their minds and seeing his brilliant documentary, "bowling for columbine". if you just want to get some insight on the effects of the american media on the american psyche, just go see it. pretty amazing.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My comments were not so much reflective about Michael Moore, because he's not an actor, he makes documentaries. I thought "Roger and Me" was brilliant and I haven't seen the other one "Bowling for Columbine." I am talking about the actors who get on their soapbox at award ceremonies and in general. It happens all the time. And they don't know what reality is...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Manon, I thought Steve Martin was great.

I noticed Nicole tried to get Densel to give her a kiss when she got her oscar...he have her a half hearted peck...hehehe.

Sabine, I noticed that too. Also, last year, I noticed he was the same way to a very enthusiastic Halle Berry; almost as if he's thinkin' "c'mon ladies, my wife is in the audience".

I think any wife of mine might just have to put up with a little brody-like enthusiasm for Halle Berry on my part, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit