Oscars

by LuckyLucy 32 Replies latest social current

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    For example Richard Gere certainly deserved a nomination for his work in Hours but he didn't get it. Inside word in Hollywood is that the oscar people are sick and tired of his turning every platform into a polictal speech. So he got left off.

No I didn't see Hours, just read about it. That's a chick flick. I'm a guy.

Richard Gere wasn't in "The Hours". He was, however, wonderful in "Chicago", and should have received a nomination. If it was the reason he didn't get nominated, I agree that his turning every speech into a platform for his standard "Free Tibet" speech is pretty darn annoying.

• sandy
    sandy

I think The Hours should have won even though it was a chick flick.

I do not know much about Michael Moore. I do not like what he said up there. There is a time and a place for everything. I don't think that was the place.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

I agree with Rayzor, Bowling for Columbine was an amazing film and it's timely about the current war. Sandy, I saw the Hours and I respectfully disagree. It was down right depressing even though I cheered when Nicole won. Chicago is well deserved. Hope the third Lord of the Rings gets it's due next year. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for the talented Julliane Moore to get an Oscar in the near future. - Victorian Sky

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

All those award shows have become a big platform for their causes. Remember when Marlon Brando sent that woman to accept his Best Actor Award for The Godfather to bring to light the plight of some cause (think it was the American Indian???), and what a big controversy that was? Those actors are so into themselves and their causes, they don't know what reality is, because they have everything given to them on a silver platter.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I think Adrien Brody's comments during his acceptance speech were the classiest of the evening. (And the fact that his reaction was just so darned gleeful and wonderful to watch was just a bonus)

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I think even Barbara Streisand realized that the financial backlash (can you say Dixie Chick) was not worth it.

I am glad Michael M got booed. He deserved to be. His show was funny. That does not make me like him....

To everyone who thinks it is brave to take a stand, some questions:

How many you (people thinking it is brave to stand up and disagree) stood up in the KH and told the elders what you thought? How many of you bravely told the elders you thought they were false prophets? How many told all the dubs they could, that the dubs are full of crap? How many of you fought being DFd? Loudly, for all in the cong to hear?

I can count on my one hand the number of people who have recounted stories of bravery in the KH.
    Seems like most took the easy way....fade away/not hurt family etc.
  • Simon
    Simon

So are you saying that you respect people who are brave and take a stand?

... Like Michael Moore, whether it makes them popular or not, whether it is easy or not?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I asked first.....

• manon
    manon

What about Steve Martin???? I believe he spared no one. I was in stiches all nite.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Simon with your logic then....Adrien Brody was the brave one because he was taking a stand against what the majority of the Hollywood lefties believe.(He was in room full of them)His stand was less far less popular than Michael's yet he got more respect than Michael.

Adrien Brody got his message across without being disrespectful to anyone and he got a standing ovation. Michael was arrogant and nasty, he got nothing but boos and a couple of half hearted claps.

I respect people that take a stand on what is morally right .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit