The Latest Trend in NW England: Homeschooling Your Children

by pale.emperor 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I can't think of a single Witness I know who homeschools (and there are many, including members of my own family) who argue that they are doing it so their child has the best possible academic opportunity. It's not even in the top five reasons.

I really doubt that hordes of Witnesses are pulling their kids out of schools in Liverpool and the NW so they have a better chance to get good A Levels and attend uni.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I really doubt that hordes of Witnesses are pulling their kids out of schools in Liverpool and the NW so they have a better chance to get good A Levels

BUT the schools don't even offer 'A' levels nowadays in Knowsley, Liverpool!!!!

The article in the Guardian from January 2017 is VERY WELL WORTH READING

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/jan/29/knowsley-education-catastrophe-a-levels-merseyside

For those unfamiliar - 'A' Levels aka GCE Advanced Levels are for 17 / 18 years olds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Advanced_Level_(United_Kingdom)

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Every kid I knew that was home-schooled fared badly. For most it was just an excuse for lonely moms to keep kids around, for kids to somehow count field service and indoctrination as their school work, and to avoid any worldly association. Many didn't graduate and got a GED at best. They learned that education isn't valuable. I remember looking at the books my sister had as she graduated from Penn Foster's home program and thinking that it was on par with what I did in middle school. I'm glad I got to go through "traditional" programs and wish I had gone to college. From every experience I've seen, home schooling is a joke.

Most lacked social skills too. It isn't just the actual book learning that suffers.

In our area of the United States (Indiana/Kentucky) more and more were turning to home schooling when we left.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JW kids to be Home Schooled.

I don't see where this is totally negative. We will always need "service workers". I hire someone (not a JW) to maintain our lawn and flower beds at our homes. The crew that dries the car and cleans the windows after I drive through the car wash comes to mind. Thankfully there are others who send their children to good schools and good universities so we still have high quality medical care (if you can afford the insurance premiums).

• blondie
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Phizzy - "It will leave the kids with no real education, no social skills, and permanently trapped in the cult."

Hmph.

Surprised the GB hasn't started pushing it, then.

• zeb
    zeb

using the "Book of Bible stories' as home work! When that came out after just a couple a read to kids we (WE) would not use it. Filled with do as your told or else! stories nothing about the love Christ for the poor the hungry the blind.

asking the kids to counts ants in the garden would be more profitable.

Home schooling? I agree with all the above posters and can only add this that I see this as a fad that some jw will want to do.

Also in my early days 'in' I saw the wt hammered the 'evils' of education so much that teenagers were coming home with stories so bad that the silly parents fell for it and pulled the kids from school. What the little darlings wanted was to get out of having to do school at all and to get a job for money to spend. and

what the parents thought the work place was perfect?

Just some obs on the same subject.

• blondie
    blondie

Many states in the US have their own laws and requirements regarding home schooling some more stringent than others. But then jws are taught to distrust worldly laws, or disregard them altogether.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    GrreatTeacher: Jeezus! Where do you live that public schools are so awful? We live in a suburban area with excellent public schools!
    The title to this thread gives you the clue North-West England

I don't live in NW England (though that is the topic of the OP) but I attended 6 public schools while growing up and I've spoken to plenty of survivors from all over, which has convinced me that compulsory public schooling is just a bad idea. True, some are better than others, but the potential for really bad things happening always exists because the system itself is designed to produce these outcomes.

If EVERYONE has to attend because parents are busy working then that means that even dangerous sociopaths can't be denied the right to a public education, as well as the right to ruin that experience for all the other kids. What will the principal do if Johny pulls a knife on Tom? Will he expel Johny? Sorry, but that boy has rights! Tom will just have to learn fucking jujitsu or maybe get himself a gun.

Besides this, I've come to accept that most of the present curricula have been deliberately designed to create dumb, compliant adults with no cultural literacy (many classics have actually been banned from most public schools) and just enough functional literacy to fill out forms and read their TV GUIDE. I know it sounds paranoid, but it's the only explanation that fits all the facts. If it were just a matter of apathy, the schools would be utterly indifferent towards a child, for example, taking an interest in higher mathematics; they wouldn't try to actively discourage him/her from learning, which is what they do in practice.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"teenagers were coming home with stories so bad that the silly parents fell for it and pulled the kids from school." - zeb

Ha ha.....................I had an older sister that pulled this trick on my mother back in the late 1960's. She showed my mother a Timothy Leary poem ( I think it was him) that they were studying in English class. Needless to say, my sister was allowed to quit school before the week was out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit