The Latest Trend in NW England: Homeschooling Your Children

by pale.emperor 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

BTTT. What employer would want. Home Schooled person as an employee, what have they as social skills that would help them contribute and fit in.

It's needs to be done properly - and it's expensive to do!

As previously discussed here:

Home Schooling is trendy - was featured last year in a big article in the glossy Sunday Times magazine - Sunday 24 July 2016 print edition - click here

https://www.enjoyeducation.co.uk

http://www.educationotherwise.org

http://www.williamclarence.com

Also The Times newspaper - Friday 3 February 2017 - Page 11

Press play if you’re too cool for school

From Ryan Gosling to JRR Tolkien via Beatrix Potter....

An investigation by The Times last year found that home-schooling had soared in the past five years, fuelled by parents missing out on places at the best schools or shunning their culture of excessive testing.

Figures obtained through freedom of information requests showed a 45 per cent increase in home-education in five years, with almost 33,000 children now taught at home.

Experts said that this could be the tip of the iceberg because the actual number was unknown. Not one local authority of 80 that responded could say exactly how many home-schooled children were in their area.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/press-play-if-you-re-too-cool-for-school-kqjgjh0fm?shareToken=3b91a739b302babc25576a304f1a75cc

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the only couple i knew of--here in the UK--that home schooled their ineducable offspring were shining examples of low life trash--weed smoking--drowning in debt--living in rented squalor. they just couldnt be bothered to get out of bed in the morning. home schooled meant--no schooled.

oh--er--no they werent dubs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The Latest Trend in NW England: Homeschooling Your Children - poor little b*****ds.

Image result for karl pilkington

"OK son, you're now going to learn about theoretical physics ..."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PALE.EMPEROR:

This isn't really a new trend. Some JWs have always homeschooled their children. Unfortunately, oftentimes it is a dismal failure - with children being cheated out of an education and with the general ignorance and cluelessness of somebody brought up in a broom closet.

Witnesses aren't so much interested in education as they are keeping their children away from the world.

But: homeschooling CAN work if at least one of the parents had college and is DEDICATED and keeps to a schedule. I met somebody (a professional and not a JW) who insisted on homeschooling his daughter because he didn't want her exposed to the sh#t in the California school system. I also met intelligent and savvy JWs years ago who did it right (their children also took tests somewhere periodically). Since we live in a very populated area there was no issue with socialization.

So, it can work but, unfortunately, many JWs are much too ignorant to do it right.

• blondie
    blondie

If the local schools are inadequate, I can see seeking better, but is there something other than home schooling in the UK. Most parents (even non-jws) have no idea how much time and attention it takes teach children and maintain a household. Especially if it is your own children....most parents don't have the knowledge and will need help from books and other aids....I have seen some non-jw children that turned out well and socialized and capable of entering university.

I have seen parents give up and let the child read books unattended and evaluated their success or not.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Unless the parents or children are motivated, the chances for success are slim. There are at least three families in my congregation where the grown children still live at home, with marginal jobs at best.

• undercover
    undercover

I've seen the trend in my area. A JW relative of mine has their kids homeschooled, and I've been told that it's become quite common across many of the congregations through the city/county.

While there may be some merits to homeschooling in certain situations, when parents decide to homeschool their kids based on the desire to keep them 'separate from the world' (whether JW, or some other evangelical group), I fear that it will (further) impede their growth into normal, well adjusted, adults, that can operate in the normal world. (and more heavily indoctrinate them into whatever belief system the parents are pushing).

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yeah my niece was homeschooled up to sixteen and then she went to a sixth form college to do A levels. Mind you her parents are very bright. Her dad's a computer programmer and her mum taught herself Japanese. My niece got her BA, MA and she just finished her PhD.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Even if the parents are well educated and qualified it's just not fair on the kids.

Imagine having the same teacher all day, every day!

George

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

St George

..?.Andwhen you finish school, for the day, your same teacher takes you home! Well out of the kitchen anyhow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit