Memorial invite

by JoenB75 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Now they start inviting to their "commemorate the death of Jesus" event. It always makes me a bit sad. I don’t think I could endure to watch it myself today. Believers who demonstratively reject the flesh and blood of Jesus by letting it pass by. And why? Because of a whack speculative doctrine about two classes of believers. Although I don’t think it matters in the end, it should steer the hearts of the few believers left on earth.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I always found the Memorial a bit macabre.

First, attendance was treated as if it were the most important event you could ever possibly go to. You best be in bed with a high fever with a contagious illness if you were to miss the Memorial.

Second, passing the emblems seemed like an exercise in the Exodus story of the copper serpent. Everyone just has to touch the emblems like they have been poisoned and the emblems emit the antidote which is absorbed through the skin.

Third, about 30 years ago Witnesses started treating the Memorial like Easter & Christmas wrapped up in one. People would buy a fancy new outfit just for the Memorial (Easter Sunday outfit) and then big groups would go out to Christmas dinner after the Memorial was over. Towards the end that seemed a bit inappropriate. "We just observed the execution of an innocent man. Let's go out and celebrate!"

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

The JW two-tier Christianity is predicated on the fake type/antetype dogma that the 'other sheep' picture the foreigners who left Egypt with the Israelites and weren't participants of the old covenant - only 'beneficiaries.' Try telling that to Rahab & Ruth!

wt 98 2/1 p.19, par. 6 - "Further, other sheep lay hold of the new covenant just as foreigners of old laid hold of the Law covenant. In what way? Not by becoming participants in it but by submitting to the laws associated with it and benefiting from its arrangements."

Deuteronomy 29:10-15 blows this anti-scriptural teaching & its 'type/ante-type' implications clear out the water.

But of course, JW's are spiritually illiterate and can't read/understand the Bible - unless the 'slave' guides them.

• Atlantis
  • surprised2bhere
    surprised2bhere

People who are baptized but not associated for.ages may come to the Memorial and be welcomed but woe betide them if they visit again as questions will be.asked as to their lifestyle etc. Also it was quite a competitive spirit as to who had the most interested people/studies attending. Some of the outlines are very graphic in describing what happened to Jesus. Totally unsuitable for children. This year's event could be a super spreader! Perhaps partakers could have portions wrapped like plane food and somebody could walk up the aisle with a tray similar to.what used to be carried in cinemas for ice.cream.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

With the advent of social media (#bestlifeever 😜) the holiday-zation of Memorial Season has intensified. Up until recently (and resuming again this year) JWs we're posting selfies of themselves in their Easter Memorial dress clothes, and during the "pandemic" they were posting pictures of their fresh baked Christmas cookies homemade Memorial bread & wine.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It might be strategic to make the memorial coincide with the first in-person meeting at kingdom halls. This would assure an unusually large gathering and give the appearance that all is well with the org. Or have the halls opened already?

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    Or have the halls opened already?

The GB have mandated that in-person meetings resume April 1, wherever not limited by pandemic legal restrictions.

This year the Memorial falls on April 15, "Special" talk on April 10.

JWs everywhere are scrambling to get their KHs ready in time. Some might actually be ready by April 1.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Wow! That was quick ffghost. Thanks!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

All the favourite Elders(tm) in the clique will be on display. Sanctimonious and fake reverence will permeate the air. The favourites will be pompously 'praying(tm)' over the 'emblems(tm)' in an attention seeking manner.

I always found the 'memorial(tm)' very austere and beyond a tedious waste of time.

A lot of the ones that don't go to meetings(tm) will suddenly appear.

They'll probably claim this 'might' be the last 'memorial(TM)' before 'armageddon(TM).

Think of all the hours wasted attending that useless ceremony. That's hours we'll never get back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit