An analysis of the recent 153rd Gilead Graduation talk by Jesse Morris (member of the US Branch Committee and son of Anthony Morris III)

by jwleaks 34 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LV101 - Agreed. They really are utter filth. Not dissimilar to all our Politicians. Control and self service. I loathe them all!

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

It has been said that by reading the Watchtower and Awake! magazines, along with other publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a person will receive, over a period of years, a considerable and broad education.

…Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college? You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake! - The Watchtower magazine, June 15, 1983, p. 31.

Back in 1983 there were 24 public issues per year of The Watchtower magazine (32 pages each issue) and 24 public issues per year of the Awake! magazine (32 pages each issues).

Starting next year there will be one public issue of each magazine published.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I hate it when people try to sneakily change the legitimate meaning of a word into something it’s the opposite of.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I remember that they used to disparage critical thinking. I think they referred to it as "high criticism" at one time, and they taught that it was a dangerous approach, as it might stumble those who do not reject it.

So it's nothing new, they know how to word things so as to mislead the rank and file. Note how that recent announcement states that they "are pleased to inform you" that they have "decided" to produce only one new issue of each of the magazines. They used to produce one of each every two weeks! They want the rank and file to see this massively-reduced output as a blessing of some kind.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Tone- They want the rank and file to see this massively-reduced output as a blessing of some kind.

Where will they get their 'Spiritual food(tm)' now?

Blimey, surely not their awfully drab website?

Barnes notes and William Barclay commentaries are in plentiful supply if they decide not be bored by the relentless and constant browbeating of 'DO MORE' and 'GIVE US ALL OF YOUR MONEY'.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

WT said that reading the magazines is like getting a higher education.

WT discourages higher education.

WT all but eliminates the magazines, thus eliminating access to higher education.

Problem solved.

Snakes (of the "I took a Logic 101 in College" Class)

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    They want the rank and file to see this massively-reduced output as a blessing of some kind.

I agree. They can't have it both ways. For decades, the org has claimed that the magazines are essential spiritual food, part of the "bountiful provisions" from God. Yet in the last decade, GB2.0 have slashed both the size and frequency of the magazines to a fraction of their previous content.

GB2.0 would probably claim that they've replaced this with all the videos and animated content, and that as a result the "spiritual food" is now even more plentiful, but we all know the online and media material is considerably dumbed down now.

There is so much that could be done with video and animation formats that would actually be interesting, but it's usually just sentimental videos or articles of bullet point lists with linked scriptures, rather than convincing reasoning or explanations, or even realistic scenarios of how Bible principles can be applied in everyday life.

Where in the past they would often include verses from other Bible translations and give at least some historical background for context (in publications like the SI book for example), now there is barely any of that in either printed material or the website.

We thought things were bad before, trying to keep up with all the magazines, but I'd much rather read through a WT or Awake of old than watch an episode of "The GB Show" on their televangelist channel, with their cringe-worthy comments like "we all loooove you verrry much!" At least those old articles were anonymous and not used to promote the individual writers, unlike the videos of the GB and their Helpers these days which portray them as 'TV stars'.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

@ LongHairGirl=> I fully understand plus agree with what you said. At one time a few decades ago, WT remarked/ stated that their literature and teachings "are the BEST TYPE of EDUCATION on the face of the Earth". They were also saying this more than likely to DISCOURAGE their members from attending any type of college/university. Unfortunately, for the dubs who refuse to use any facet of CRITICAL THINKING, they would take this all as rote, not wanting to ask any questions, even if they have any doubts.

• Gorb
    Gorb

It's Orwellian double speech.

G.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Asleep! magazine seems to have evaporated into thin air.

How's that for a "university education"?

The WT is,,,in fact it's own worst enemy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit