Watchtower April, 2017 Overview

by Listener 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Steel
    Steel

I think us ubm have always known we don't have a snowballs chance in hell with the wts upholding the sanctity of our unions.

No real suprise here.

• careful
    careful

Two thoughts:

1. Are they attempting to deal with the notion that this increasing number of children who have been baptized the last few years, since they really didn't know what they were doing, should have their baptisms declared invalid? When I was in, there was an occasional re-baptism, most often because the person involved didn't understand what he or she was doing, sometimes having gotten baptized without having gone through the 80 questions first. At some of the big assemblies with 80+ baptismal candidates, some newbies just got in the baptismal line and got dunked.

Perhaps more recently there have already been problems with some Witness parents whose baptized youngsters have gotten in trouble, and such parents have told the local BOE/CO that their kid should not be subject to congo discipline because he/she was baptized without understanding the full implications of what it means. It would not surprise me if this is a cause of the first point in the WT study article: tough luck. A baptism is a baptism, regardless of how young the person was.

2. It will be interesting to see whether the second point regarding a spouse separating b/c their mate learned some of the TTATT and became "apostate" has led or will lead to a new kind of problem. We all remember how many terrible marriages there are in JW land, and how some of those suffering in that situation would go to great lengths to undo their marriage, consulting together and plotting infidelity so as to get a scriptural divorce. Should we find it surprising then if now certain grossly incompatible sufferers are plotting, "Well, you 'go apostate' so that we can get a separation. After some time when we're both free to remarry, you can pretend repentance and they'll let you back in." I can surely picture such a scenario. If so, then down the line the GB and their lackeys will have to address this—in a future WT study article!

• careful
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Is the WTBTS preparing to throw some "wicked" imposters, who hide what they are by appearing righteous, under the proverbial bus?? We all know the GB aren't really in charge, and their buffoonery is costing the WTBTS money.

DD

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

A huge flaw in the WT reasoning is concerning the age of the ones getting baptized. A person has to be a certain legal age for a contract (including marriage) to be binding. Yet they hold the baptism of a minor over his or her head for the rest of their lives. It is atrocious and against all moral sense.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    Before God and eyewitnesses, the bride and groom exchange their marriage vows. They usually promise that they will love, cherish, and respect each other and that they will do so “for aslong as [they] both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.

With this sentence in §14 they cleverly prepare the reader when the separation from a partner who leaves the "truth" is allowed.

"usually" - I never heard marriage vows like this.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Just thought I would revive an old thread about the marriage vows from 50+ years ago. I believe it was in the vows that Clyde and I took. "Divine termination of the marital arrangement preceded "according to God's marital arrangement."

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/104926/divine-termination-marital-arrangement-need-old-timer

I think it was referring to the possibility that someday in eternity God might terminate marriages, but maybe the Society could say it would allow for terminating the marriage now if a spouse becomes an apostate. Just saying....

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    Bonnie_Clyde
    Just thought I would revive an old thread about the marriage vows from 50+ years ago.

Thanks for this thread. Interesting "old stuff" I never heard about. Thanks.

• Sadgrandmother
    Sadgrandmother

I have a daughter who married a JW. She has always had insecurities and I fell she will do and say what ever they say. He (her husband)is definitely the head of that household. I have read so much about JW on all sites and I feel like this is a cult!My grand baby is five and I worry they will try to keep her away from me. Her little mind is being fed with FOG! Any advice for me to handle. Thank you

• SAHS
    SAHS

“careful”: When I was in, there was an occasional re-baptism, most often because the person involved didn't understand what he or she was doing, sometimes having gotten baptized without having gone through the 80 questions first. At some of the big assemblies with 80+ baptismal candidates, some newbies just got in the baptismal line and got dunked.

Maybe those youngins and newbies could use the defence that they had too much to drink before they spontaneously decided to cut into the baptismal line. I mean, sometimes that defence can be taken into consideration in court for certain crimes. (I showed up drunk at district conventions a couple of times, but I had already been baptized. Just say’n.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit