“The Divine Termination of the Marital Arrangement” - I need an old timer

by Bonnie_Clyde 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I talked about this on Gopher’s post about “You cannot live forever on paradise earth,” but thought I would start a separate one as I need an old timer who can remember attending a witness wedding in the 1950’s.

Gopher asked : “What happens if the earth (in such a paradise) reaches the point of overpopulation, meaning there are not enough food and other resources available for continued growth? The Genesis account says that the first humans were told to ‘fill the earth’. What would happen once it is filled?”

I commented : “The question about over population of the earth was asked many years ago. The answer was that eventually procreation would stop when the earth was comfortably filled. I can remember at witness weddings, during the vows the speaker would use the words "forever, or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement." Does anyone else remember?”

Gopher answered : I think the phrase used in JW weddings was ‘… as long as we live together on earth under God’s marital arrangement’. That phrase leaves open a lot of possibilities, including the termination of the marital arrangement, or even the possibility of living together on some other planet (if you think about it).

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I typed my post in "Word", copied and pasted, but when I submitted it, it didn't take it all. Sorry!

• Terry
    Terry

UNTIL THE DIVINE TERMINATION OF THE MARRIAGE ARRANGEMENT is substantially correct.

The idea was that in the New Order there may be no more marrying and giving in marriage anyway. We'd all be roomates.

T.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Actually this statement still exists in the 'approved' outline for Dub weddings. BTW a letter to elders instructs speakers to adhere strictly to the vows as written. No deviation, no personalization is permitted. I know of one case where the couple memorized the vows word for word and said them, another elder had a fit because they did not repeat them after the 'robot' oops elder giving the talk stated them. They actually went in back of the hall and repeated the vows to satisfy the Pharisee.

See (w84 4/15 p.14)

"I ____ take you ____ to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God's marital arrangement."

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

From the August 1, 1952 Watchtower, p. 478 "Questions From Readers":

The June 15 Watchtower on “The Marriage Ceremony”, arranges for the man getting married to repeat after the minister that he will love and cherish his wife “for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement”. What is meant by the words “until the divine termination of the marital arrangement”?—L. K., New York.

Some have speculated on that phrase, saying that it means until the marriage is Scripturally terminated by a divorce on the grounds of adultery. But no such unhappy conclusion of the marriage would be envisioned at the happy time of the marriage ceremony. That is not a termination initiated by God, but is a tragic one brought about by the uncleanness of the adulterous one. Others have interpreted the expression to mean when an anointed mate of one of the earthly class is finally taken to heaven to reign with Christ. The physical death of the anointed partner terminates such marriage. So that is not the thought intended. Nor should it be taken, as still others have taken it, to definitely mean that the marriage will end when the divine mandate to fill the earth will have been accomplished. The expression is used merely to cover a possibility, to allow for any future termination that may come about through the divine providence. When the mandate to fill the earth is fulfilled, when childbearing ceases, the marriage partners may continue their association together as life companions, or they may not, depending upon the divine will at that future, distant time. We cannot say at this time what divine providence will arrange in the distant future in the new world. So this expression merely allows for some future action on the part of God that may terminate the marital arrangement, but it does not mean that such a divine termination will actually take place. We leave that entirely with the Lord for his future action, and the expression is included to show that if such future action is ever taken then all couples will gladly comply with the divine will as it is revealed at that distant time.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

From the June 15, 1952 Watchtower, page 362:

ESTABLISHED

PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED AT WEDDING

At the time appointed, the persons to be married, having been qualified according to the law of the state and the standards of the Lord, should assemble together, facing the minister; the man at the minister’s left hand and the woman at his right hand. A friendly and intimate appropriate speech is given, directed primarily to the two to be married, outlining the proper Scriptural obligations each one assumes toward the other and toward their God in accepting the responsibility of wedlock. Material such as that contained in the first 19 paragraphs of this article is appropriate. After this, the bride, the bridegroom and the two witnesses should stand together before the minister.

The minister will then say to the man, using his Christian or given name:

"Do you, ________, in the presence of Jehovah God and these witnesses, take ________ to be your wedded wife, to love and to cherish, in accordance with the divine law as outlined in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as you both may live?"

The man should then answer: "I do."

The minister will then say to the woman, using her Christian name:

"Do you, ________, in the presence of Jehovah God and these witnesses, take ________ to be your wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as outlined in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives for as long as you both may live?"

The woman should answer: "I do."

[If arrangements are to give the woman in marriage by her father or someone else, the minister will say: "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" The father or whoever gives her in marriage will say: "I do." Then he will withdraw and take his seat in the audience. If no arrangements are made to give the woman in marriage, this can be dispensed with.]

The minister will then ask the man to repeat after him:

"I, ________, take you, ________, to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement."

Then the minister will ask the woman to repeat after him:

"I, ________, take you, ________, to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement."

If a ring ceremony is desired, at this point the man may place the ring on the third finger of the woman’s left hand. In case of a double ring ceremony, the woman shall place the ring on the third finger of the man’s left hand. If he desires, the minister may remark in connection with this ceremony: "This ring [or rings] is an outward and visible sign signifying unto all the uniting of this man and this woman in the bonds of matrimony."

The minister will then say: "Forasmuch as [man’s name] and [woman’s name] have covenanted before Jehovah God and these witnesses to accept each other in wedlock, I, as an ordained minister and by the authority conferred upon me by the Holy Scriptures and the State (Province) of ________, pronounce that they are husband and wife together. What God has yoked together, let no man put apart."

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Thank you so much Cabasilas.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It does not surprise me that witnesses feel that the marriage arrangement would be terminated once the earth was filled to capacity.

They do not view marriage as much more than to legalize sex as it is. I remember asking my father what would happen to normal 'urges'. His answer was that Jehoober would make them magically disappear from us.

No more sex... no more marriage... just work in your garden and take your lithium and you'll fit right in.

*gag*

No thanks...

Jean

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

LOL @ Jean!!!

Swalker

• garybuss
    garybuss

I've seen elders apply “The Divine Termination of the Marital Arrangement” due to absolute endangerment of spirituality with my own eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit