Revelation book

by Gorb 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

That's my era!!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

My parents used to have an extensive library of those "Rainbow Books". (all the diff colours)

All the classics mentioned in this thread, and the ones dealing with Revelations specifically were cherished. They had old Bound Volumes as well, and even some of the old Herald magazines before they were called WatchTowers. I kept a few select pieces, but mostly just TRASHED all of it back in 2007. Almost 20 years ago, and not none of that shit means a damn thing. It was all total nonsense that was taking up space in a room. I have approx (1) shelf of WT liter-a-trash. ONE. A few classics, and (1) Bound Volume. The year 1984. Burned into my mind. Now nearly 40 years ago. What a cult.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

For an organisation supposed to be so focused on the time of the end and what God will do in the near future, they've not released any detailed new 'understanding' about the book of Revelation in nearly 20 years since the Rev Climax book, and yet are still recycling the same old articles such as this past week's WT about "preparing for baptism" or next weekend's "learn about God through creation" topic, which really amount to "the milk" of God's word, especially given how dumbed down a lot of their material is now.

Ok, they released the "Pure Worship" book in 2018 about Ezekiel which covers their most recent understanding of the GT, but it's from a different perspective and only contains 5 references to the book of Revelation (see below), with nothing about the harder to explain elements like the pouring out of the seven plagues on the earth, seven trumpet blasts, etc.

A new book on Revelation would have been a natural publication to follow-up after the "Pure Worship" book, focusing on these details of the "end times", but nothing so far. It's as though they're out of ideas as to how to explain it, now that Fred Franz is gone - and hardly surprising since their most prominent "prophetic teacher" these days seems to be David Splane!

---

One of the things I found as I got more into my own Bible reading is that in nearly a century of publishing, the percentage of the scriptures they've actually written about or analysed in any detail is quite small. Look at their 1986-2023 and 1930-1985 online indexes by Scripture Index and for much of the Bible there is only perhaps one reference from a book or WT decades ago (many of which are out of print) or even nothing at all. And to my knowledge they've never really written any commentaries in the true sense, apart from the Commentary on James which was of course ditched and erased from their history.

You'd think that in more than a century of printing and translation work (and selling distributing publications), they would've written comprehensive commentary on the entire Bible, verse-by-verse, by now. Especially as they are always encouraging Witnesses to "read God's word daily".

It calls into question their actual dedication to teaching the "solid food" of God's word, beyond constantly recycling articles about their favourite verses like Matthew 24:14, Matthew 24:45 and so on.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

ExbethelitePima - I can’t remember what the old Revelation book said about these verses, or has there been any new light on the mark of the beast and what it actually is?

It is the scar left by a pitbull after it latches on to an arm or leg. To avoid the mark, run away in a zigzag pattern, faster than the dog.

Most who take the mark are unable to buy or sell due to the pain of leaving the hospital bed.

I was satisfied with this answer and challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Journeyman - …It’s as though they're out of ideas as to how to explain it…”

I have no doubt this is exactly the problem.

Old Freddy Franz’s Cold-War-centric script has gotten pretty dated, and after Ted Jaracz used 9-11 to purge out any of the creative types and out-of-the-box thinkers from WTHQ, there’s no one left with the necessary narrative chops.

Not to mention that - unlike Franz’s time - they can’t crib any other religions’ ideas without being called out on it.

• Ding
    Ding

It's ridiculous when they try to make Revelation fit their (whitewashed) history.

Cedar Point, Ohio, anyone?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Revelation is a very weird book in the Bible.

Make of it what you will but I reckon you can prove pink unicorns are coming out of Sunak's bum by using out of context scriptures.

It's all about how you can con people out of their money.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Hell, if you’re creative enough, you could probably find a “Biblical” justification for pogo-sticking naked under a full moon.

😄

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    vid - Hell, if you’re creative enough, you could probably find a “Biblical” justification for pogo-sticking naked under a full moon.

I do that anyway. I don't need authority from the Bible.

The Police don't like it though.

• blondie
    blondie

PON

I do think that being "naked" would get one in trouble and maybe under a full moon because more likely others might see you. But pogo-sticking would probably get a pass unless some over-righteous jw complains to the elders, who are wusses and will give into that jw with the outrageous idea to "keep the peace." :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit