Iraq's Tortured Children

by ThiChi 73 Replies latest social current

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    I think this pales in comparison to the Iraqui regime, which has a policy of torturing their own people and letting babies starve. You want to equate this one military unit with the whole Iraqui unit and say that the US is just as bad?

No, I am indicating that the outrage in this post at child-torture in Iraq and subsequently attempting to justify the present war situation in Iraq, is hypocritical and that you would be well advised to stick to the ‘weapons of mass destruction’ argument if I were you.

It seems to me you actually have an anti american agenda and wish to make the US look worse than it actually is as usual.

I have no Anti-American agenda as my posts the last few days will evidence. I feel that the US are sadly lacking in a sensible Foreign Policy but that this is nothing new. I do however, have a clear anti-hypocrisy agenda. I would suggest that you take a careful read of the book written by Henry Kissinger, an American whom I greatly respect believe it or not, titled 'Diplomacy'. It places US Foreign Policy into a chronological comedy far more effectively than I ever could. I suggest that you fire an email to him and acuse him of possessing an anti-Americanism agenda, because he is far more critical of America than I have been in my posts.

So an article says that one special forces unit may be training these guys who kidnap and torture political dissidents. This action is condemned by the US government and the unit denies that they are training these particular people.

Well, it seems that you are half-way to denying that this occured? Perhaps a little more research would clear this matter up in your own mind Random - though what you find might not be terribly comfortable. Pre Ayatollah Iran makes particularly gruesome reading. You might also spread your area of research beyond Indonesia in 1998 to other areas of the world that have regularly been trained in rather ugly covert activities by the US military since the Kennedy Administration! Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Expat,

But the current discussions/debates are about Iraq, not those other places.

I think that we agree on far more than we disagree, and I sense that you appreciate that I am not anti-American. In fact quite the contrary if the truth be known.

This thread is about the Iraq torture of children, indicating by chronology that the US/UK ( minus John Le Carre of course...lol ) is going to put and end to this disgusting cycle of misery by it's present war. I have pointed out that they are quite likely to do so, then train a new government in how to do it more effectively.

Is that anti-American....lol?

Best regards - HS

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

The Issue is should

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

The Issue is should Iraq's current government stay in power. At many levels, the answer is no. The US has

• LB
    LB
    I have no Anti-American agenda as my posts the last few days will evidence.

I agree with your statement Hillary. Of course during times of conflict the flag waving goes into overdrive. At times I have to fight those feelings myself. I am concerned for what I consider to be a bunch of young kids that are doing our fighting. Know why they don't recruit old farts like me? Cause if someone told me to run across a field of fire I'd tell him to screw off. Young guys shout and run like the dickens.

This thread is about the Iraq torture of children, indicating by chronology that the US/UK ( minus John Le Carre of course...lol ) is going to put and end to this disgusting cycle of misery by it's present war. I have pointed out that they are quite likely to do so, then train a new government in how to do it more effectively.

I sure hope you're wrong and I have a feeling you hope so to. There are times I wish the US would do what Britain used to do. Win a war and take over a country. Maybe then there would be some accountability.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LB,

Know why they don't recruit old farts like me?

I have a lot in common with you, at least over the 'old' part of your sentence....lol

Kindest regards - HS

• LB
    LB

Hillary I respect your opinion, although I'm sure we don't agree on that many things. Still, how would have you handled this situation? If you were George Bush. Not the oilman Bush but the leader of this nation.

I honestly don't know what I would do. I think we do have to remove this man but he's only one of all too many evil leaders. Or are you enough of a skeptic to think that little of what we hear about Saddem is the truth?

Funny the changes a man goes through in his life. I mean 30 years ago I knew everything a man needed to know. I was so confident about my opinions that most of my friends and family would consult me on how to vote. These days I only know that I don't know much.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

While I'm sure that Saddam and his ilk have put training they recieved from US operatives to good bad use, I'm skeptical of the thought that Saddam or his sons or anyone like them, need "training" from the US to brutalize and torture children. I think it just comes natural for them, and I'll cheer when they die.

Cheers~ Six

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LB,

Funny the changes a man goes through in his life. I mean 30 years ago I knew everything a man needed to know. I was so confident about my opinions that most of my friends and family would consult me on how to vote. These days I only know that I don't know much.

A very familiar feeling, most of what I believe these days revolves around the phrase, "I ain't got no answers'. I actually think that this is the station of true maturity. Young people are the only people who should have definate opinions and that is because they have time to change them! The day before I die I hope to have reached a situation where I know absolutely nothing about absolutely everything....lol

Still, how would have you handled this situation? If you were George Bush. Not the oilman Bush but the leader of this nation.

I am a great believer in deep education and compromise, it seems to be where we all end up anyway. I would lock all the numbskulls, Saddam or Bush shaped, in a small room with one pen and a few sheets of paper and not let them out until they wrote a poem about why they feel the way that they do. I wrote this on another thread earlier this evening and it pretty well sums up what I would do, but hell who am I, the only person who knows I exist is the Taxman and occasionally my wife....lol.

Terrorists and terrorist States cannot survive without certain aims and resources. 1) an ideology. 2) Youth. 3) Money. Educate the young people to see that the gun is a short term solution to long-term problems and that while slower politics and social evolution do work. Seize the billions of dollars the feed and fuel the terrorists, break up their international drug rings, seize and sell their property, give their cash back to the community that gave birth to the terrorists in the form of education, sports activities, art galleries, theatres, music halls that work to give people pride in their nation.

Empower the Governments to freeze the assets, seize and sell the property, destroy the drug industry that fuels terrorrism all over the world and use this huge amount of money to attack the problem from less jingoistic viewpoints. Education of people on the ground, political compromise, coupled with bloodless means of attacking the problem will always be the superior method in the long-term.

For example, I would like to see President Bush, the self-proclaimed enemy of 'terrorism everywhere' seize the funds that stream from the Irish in the US that fuel the terror in the Republic of Ireland. Rather than using military personel to train the armies in places like Columbia, Peru, Indonesia, and many parts of Africa in the methods of terrorism, that he learns to respect the 'democratic process' that he seems so fond of holding aloft like a Roman Eagle.

Sleep tight LB - HS
  • Angharad
    Angharad
    Now if it were a JW's child being injured, Trauma, Simon and all would be screaming about getting these horrible men. I know, it's not the same thing, but it is related isn't it?

I'm sorry but that is utter BS, just because Simon and a few others disagree with the way the US & UK governments have gone about getting this war you assume that automatically means they dont care about kids being tortured - get real

Just because everyone doesnt agree with the way this war has come about doesnt mean they support Sadam and what he does, but it seems things get twisted to make it appear as if they do

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit