Iraq's Tortured Children

by ThiChi 73 Replies latest social current

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

That was information I heard just yesterday on a news program and I have read in on other posts here. I see the link you gave me was from the US government aid. Again lets see some independent report because of course the US government will paint a rosy picture and I tend to believe about 10% of what there saying.

Also I see you refer to Saddam as the Devil. There is no question he has done some repressive and bad things to his people but to use the word Devil is a little strong. Sounds like you are parroting George Bush "Axis of Evil" speech. Sounds like a typical simplistic right wing, fundamental Christian rhetoric. The old good versus evil argument. I thought this type of thinking went out with the 19 century??

Will

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Here are the real facts on Iraq's WMDs:

"The Iraqi regime and its weapons of mass destruction represent a clear threat to world security. This danger has been explicitly recognized by the U.N." -Letter by Eight European leaders in support of the United States
    (Center for Non-Proliferation Studies: WMDs in Iraq)
    (Washington Post: UNSCOM Tracks Terror Weapons)
    (Washington Post: The Unconventional Arsenal)
    (Palestine Chronicle: U.S. to Have Access to 21 Countries in Iraq War)
    (Washington Times: Iraqi Scientist Says Materials for Nuclear Bombs in Hand)
    (UK Times: 14 Years of Torture and Humiliation in Saddam's Jail)
  • bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Question:

Who does Iraq sell the oil to in the oil for food program?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Penwell:

Just Right Wing, huh?

"If Saddam Hussein fails to comply and we fail to act or we take some ambiguous third route, which gives him yet more opportunities to develop his program of weapons of mass destruction and continue to press for the release of sanctions and ignore the commitments he's made? Well, he will conclude that the international community's lost its will. He will then conclude that he can go right on doing more to build an arsenal of devastating destruction. If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow. The stakes could not be higher. Some way, someday, I guarantee you he'll use the arsenal."
    -President Bill Clinton in 1998

Yes, he is devilish.......

Iraq can buy from anyone who is a UN member, what do you know, Germany and France are the biggest contract winners!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tichi

When iraq warred against iran, bush senior and his boys were cheering him on. They sent him weapons of all kinds, including mass destruction. Using gas or bacteria was just fine by bush senior. They were almost buddies.

Before invading kuwait, saddam inquired of the american ambassador glaspie, as to american govt opinion on that action. She told him that her govt had no concerns there.

I guess he becomes a devil after the us govt has no more use for him. What was he before 1991?

SS

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""When iraq warred against iran, bush senior and his boys were cheering him on. They sent him weapons of all kinds, including mass destruction. Using gas or bacteria was just fine by bush senior. They were almost buddies.

Before invading kuwait, saddam inquired of the american ambassador glaspie, as to american govt opinion on that action. She told him that her govt had no concerns there.""

I would verify your information, a congressional investigation proved otherwise. This is really getting old. Does anyone do research here?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    I would verify your information,

Ok.

SS

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

SS: I had the link to the findings of Congress, the Dems were ready to pounce on Bush 41, however, this was just not the case....

What did chap my hide, was that a lot of materials shipped to Iraq ended up being a "duel use" for the Army...we should have caught that.......

• Simon
    Simon

Oil for food
    In May 1996 Iraq signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) under Security Council Resolution 986, sometimes known as the oil-for-food deal. This was seen as a temporary measure to provide for the humanitarian needs of the Iraqi people. The first oil under the programme was exported in December 1996 and the first shipments of food arrived in March 1997.

But Iraq cannot supply enough oil because of destroyed infrastructure and pipelines which continue to be bombed. According to the UN Secretary-General’s report of February 1999, $500 million in humanitarian aid never reached Iraq because of insufficient oil revenues.

Percentage allocation of oil revenues under oil for food 9
    (November 1998 to May 1999)

Vital statistics
    There has been a major increase in the number of deaths, in particular of infants and young children. The infant-mortality rate has risen from 30.5 per 1,000 in 1989 to 97.2 per 1,000 in 1997. 6 The maternal-mortality rate has risen from 50 per 100,000 live births in 1989 to 117 in 1997. 2 Low birth-weight babies (less than 2.5 kg) rose from 4% in 1990 to around a quarter of registered births in 1997, due mainly to maternal malnutrition. As many as 70% of Iraqi women are suffering from anaemia. 7

over 1 MILLION people dead and almost half a million children under 5 !!

... because of our policies

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Simon, you are right, why does the Devil not feed his people? The$$ is there, the oil is there, it only goes for other needs WMDs?....Hell on earth!

SS: Here is the info you need.......verry telling

AMBASSADOR APRIL GLASPIE TESTIFIES TO THE HOUSE FOREIGN AFFAIRS CMTE. March 21, 1991 On July 25, 1990, Iraqi President Saddam Hussein summoned U.S. Ambassador to Iraq April Glaspie to his office for a discussion of U.S.-Iraq relations. This was to be the last high-level contact between the two governments before the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait on August 2. Ambassador Glaspie testified in March 1991 to the House Foreign Affairs Cmte. about that meeting and U.S. policy towards Iraq before the Persian Gulf War.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit