Baby it’s cold outside...Is That Song Offensive To Ypu?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

To think that this classic song is “offensive “.... is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why is it considered offensive?

Lemme guess ... calling a woman 'baby' is misogynistic?

Please for the love of God tell me I'm wrong XD

• steve2
    steve2

Gentleman uses his 'sweet-nothin's' charms to win over lady who keeps saying "No".

Absence of force - although his repeated overtures could be construed as pressuring her to say "Yes" or just clam up for the sake of peace.

I am not offended by it - but then I've been in very respectful relationships with others. I could imagine that anyone who has ever found herself repeatedly pestered to come inside and make love may have a different view.

But would I classify it as "offensive"? No.

BTW: LoveUniHateExams, google the lyrics - it's not about calling a woman "baby".

• minimus
    minimus

If you look at the original musical story they are bantering back-and-forth playfully. To make it sound as if the woman is being abused is disgusting

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Steve2 - well, I'm glad I'm wrong. XD

So, this song is being categorized by feminists as being part of 'rape culture', because of the lyrics.

Well, f**k me sideways!

I can't help but form the opinion that contemporary third-wave feminism infantilizes women.

Surely women and men alike realize that this song isn't real life, it's not a guide on how to pick up women ... right?

• minimus
    minimus

Love ... that’s pretty funny!

• blondie
    blondie

I don't, but I miss those subtle things others notice. I prefer the original version where Eartha Kitt sings it.

• steve2
    steve2

First performance of the song was by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalban June 9th 1949. It has since been covered countless times.

The song was written by a husband and wife team (whose names elude me).

• cobweb
    cobweb

I do remember thinking when the Tom Jones version came out that the guy comes over as a sex pest. Guess it depends on the singers involved as to how it comes over.

• jp1692
    jp1692

In 1944, Loesser wrote "Baby, It's Cold Outside" to sing with his wife, Lynn Garland, at their housewarming party in New York City at the Navarro Hotel. They sang the song to indicate to guests that it was time to leave.

• Source: Loesser, Susan (1993). A Most Remarkable Fella : Frank Loesser and the guys and dolls in his life : a portrait by his daughter. Hal Leonard. p. 79.

It's always problematic to judge past events and behaviors by current social norms and mores. I am certainly aware of and sensitive to current issues involving sexual assault and harassment; but it is also important to understand that the lyric "What's in this drink?" could not possibly have had the same implications in the 1940s that it does since the '90s when rohypnol began to gain notoriety as a "date rape" drug.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit