by Terry 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
  • carla
    carla

Looks interesting, thanks for posting.

• scholar
    scholar

To Whom It May Concern

I have watched this video and the scholarship behind it is just plain ignorant and abysmal. This fellow's academic learning has taught him nothing about NT Greek and I suspect that this so-called scholar has a profound respect for the NWT but because of his so-called conversion to Christ is forced to be superficially critical of the NWT. Most if not all of his criticisms have been addressed in WT publications most thoroughly and such responses was ignored by this so-called scholar.

scholar JW emeritus

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Scholar,

I was curious about linguistic credentials. Which university did you attend, and what was the name of the professor who taught you New Testament Greek?

Athanasius

• scholar
    scholar

Athanasius

I was taught by Dr. John A Lee at University of Sydney and Prof Greg Horsley formerly at Macquarrie University in Sydney and now at the University of New England at Armidale in NSW.

scholar

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Face-plant. Scholar claims he went to the same university I went to and lives in Australia. How embarrassing.
  • scholar
    scholar

jwfacts

Your point? I did my undergraduate degree majoring in Religious Studies and Philosophy at Deakin University and a postgraduate Masters degree in Studies in Religion at the University of Sydney and i do live in Australia.

scholar JW emeritus

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Hi scholar,

Anathasius was asking about your knowledge of “New Testament Greek”.

So you have a B.A. from Deakin and a M.A. (or M.Phill) from Sydney Uni. I checked the syllabus for Deakin, and it appears you don’t need any knowledge of Koine Greek to get in, nor do you get taught in any language. Just lots of nebulous subjects such as “Religion and Social Change”, “Gender and Sexuality in Islam”, and “Cyborg Anthropology”. (I am not making this up.) The Sydney Uni Masters course seems to be pretty much pick your own area of interest and write your own paper.

I don’t see how that helps you evaluate the quality of translation in the NWT.

Someone I know did study Koine Greek in Italy, and she told me it differs from modern Greek. As far as I am aware, I think the only Uni in Aust where you can study Koine Greek as an undergraduate is ACU, and I doubt you went there.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I'm no scholar, but it does appear that right out of the gate, the WTS took liberties in translating the scriptures. Pretty sure no scholar would translate the spririt of God as his active force....

Genesis1:1-31

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.a

2 Now the earth was formless and desolate,* and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep,*b and God’s active force*c was moving about over the surface of the waters.d
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Scholar, the honorary title "emeritus" at Sydney University is usually awarded to a retiring professor who has an outstanding academic record and normally after being in his professorial post for ten years or more.

Are we to assume this is the case with you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit