Bush just wants the oil!!!

by dubla 88 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

xander-

You miss the point. Whether the Iraqis 'control' the oil fields or not is meaningless, what matters is where the MONEY from the oil goes.

I maintain it will not be going to Iraq.

i understand what youre saying here, and all i am asking is will there be a way to prove solidly where the money is going after the fact? or will we simply be "lied to"(in your view), and have no way of really knowing? basically, will your stance be provable at some point?

I'd be AMAZED if, after occupying Baghdad and taking control of Iraq, if the US just flew all the troops home and let the UN take over.

it has been rumored that the u.n. has been secretly working this entire time on post-war iraq scenarios. i predict that the u.n. will indeed play a big part in the post-war iraq. the fact that we are defying the u.n. on the subject of war doesnt mean we find the u.n. useless. the list of past military actions without u.n. support is a long one.

aa

• email
    email

Xander...you went on the record man!!... lol

I should add, if the US DID do that - fly the troops home after deposing Saddam - and letting the UN take over....well...I'd have to seriously re-evaluate my position on the current administration.
    I will hold you to that when all this is over... lol
  • Xander
    Xander

Sure, email, and I stand by that statement.

If the US flies the troops home the day (or, hell, the week) after Saddam is no longer in power, leaves no military presence behind other than what the UN requests, leave control of the Iraqi oil fields, other resource, and nation to the Iraqi people (or the UN for the time being) and the UN completely controls the disarmament of Iraq (as called for in the resolution), the rebuilding of Iraq, and the aiding of the Iraqi people, I'd happily agree I was wrong about the whole thing.

basically, will your stance be provable at some point?

It shouldn't be TOO hard to tell, although a brief search on the net already is showing the potential difficulty. The easy answer is: "Who owns and operates the oil fields now?" and "Who owns and operates the oil fields after the war?"

I suspect this may be a library-researched answer rather than the 'net.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Why did we not just take the oil back in 1991? France has the oil concerns, not the US. This is just more rubbish to place out there!

Here are the plans:

UNITED NATIONS — The United States and Britain are working on a plan to use Iraqi oil proceeds from a $40 billion account to pay for humanitarian supplies during a war to disarm Saddam Hussein, The Associated Press has learned.

The proposal, based on the assumption that Saddam will be quickly overthrown, is to be presented shortly after a military conflict begins, according to diplomats and U.N. officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The plan would not give Washington and London direct access to vast Iraqi cash reserves in a U.N. escrow account. Instead, by channeling the money into immediate humanitarian relief, the plan would alleviate U.S. and British financial responsibilities for caring for millions of Iraqis.

In an effort to win swift Security Council approval, the plan will be submitted by Secretary-General Kofi Annan, rather than by Washington and London, whose forces would effectively be occupying Iraq by that time.

Details on the proposal were still being negotiated. But the latest draft would allow the oil-for-food program, which feeds 60 percent of the 22 million Iraqi people, to continue in some manner.

The Security Council agreed Tuesday it was ready to discuss proposals by Annan to deal with the humanitarian situation in Iraq, which U.N. human rights workers have predicted could develop swiftly into crisis once any military action begins.

The secretary-general has promised the council a letter outlining his suggestions, to be discussed Wednesday at an open council meeting.

The council also will hear from chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix, who will present his list of a dozen questions that Iraq must answer to prove it is disarming peacefully.

The council session will take place hours before the expiration of President Bush's 48-hour deadline for Saddam and his sons to leave Iraq.

Though war looks inevitable, Germany's U.N. Ambassador Gunter Pleuger said it still "makes sense" for the council to discuss and adopt it.

"The system of inspections is now suspended but not abolished," he said. "We will need the system of inspections after the war" because a 1999 U.N. resolution foresees "that inspections, verification and monitoring would go on after the disarmament of Iraq."

France, Russia and Germany, which led the opposition to a war against Iraq, had pressed for Wednesday's council meeting to discuss a "realistic" timetable to implement Blix's list on issues such as anthrax, VX nerve agent, and Scud missiles.

Blix expressed disappointment that the United States, Britain and Spain had decided so quickly that inspections weren't working. In the face of strong council opposition, the three countries on Monday abandoned efforts to seek Security Council backing for war.

During 3 months of inspections, Blix said, his teams found no evidence of chemical or biological weapons.

But even if Iraq does possess such weapons, Blix said he doesn't think Saddam would use them. The reason, he said, was that world opinion would turn in favor of the United States.

Even on the brink of defeat, when using such weapons might be a last resort, Saddam's government would still care about public opinion, Blix said. "Some people care about their reputation even after death," he said.

• email
    email

Xander you said:

WTF do you get this from?

Here it is:

Iraqi Oil Money May Be Used for Humanitarian Relief

(edited: Article removed... posted in previous post... thanks ThiChi)
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

U.S. Plans to Preserve Iraq's Oil for Iraqi People
    (March 13, 2003)

------------------------------------
    United States Department of Defense
    News Release
    ------------------------------------

In light of past acts of eco-terrorism by the regime of Saddam Hussein, the Department of Defense has developed plans to extinguish oil well fires and to assess damage to oil facilities that might occur in Iraq in the event of hostilities.

Oil is a natural resource of Iraq that provides commerce, income for education and other needs, and infrastructure. The department considers destruction of that resource as an act of terrorism.

U.S. goals are to prevent damage in order to preserve the lifeblood of Iraq's economy and to prevent or mitigate environmental effects on Iraq and its neighbors.

A variety of sources lead the department to believe that the regime has both the capability and the intent to damage or destroy Iraq's oil fields, potentially causing a crisis for both Iraq's people and its neighbors. That assessment, coupled with the fact that Saddam Hussein's regime set afire more than 700 of Kuwait's oil wells in 1991, led the U.S. to plan for the possibility of oil well fires in Iraq should military action against the Iraqi regime become necessary.

Reliable reports indicate that these activities have been planned, and in some cases, may already have begun. Recent information revealed that Iraq has received 24 railroad boxcars full of pentolite explosives. While destruction of the fields would not be a militarily significant act, it will produce economic and environmental impacts with lasting effects on the people of Iraq, as well as Iraq's neighbors.

Economically, destruction of the oil fields could have enormous and lasting effects on Iraq's post-war economy. Iraq's oil is vitally important for the future of the Iraqi people. The department estimates the potential income to the Iraqi people from oil at $20 to $30 billion a year. That income today goes mainly to the regime and not to the Iraqi people because of Iraqi circumvention of the U.N. Oil for Food program.

For the future, it is critical to create that economic income for the Iraqi people in order to bring their standard of living back to one comparable to other nations in the region and to give them a viable economic future. Destruction of the oil fields would result in potential loss of $20 to $30 billion a year in oil revenues as well as an estimated cost of between $30 and $40 billion to recreate the infrastructure.

Environmentally, the U.S. estimates that the regime's likely actions have the potential to double the disastrous effects experienced in Kuwait in 1991. The destruction of oil wells by Saddam Hussein in Kuwait during the Gulf War had an impact twenty times larger than that of the Exxon Valdez disaster. In addition to setting fire to more than 700 of the oil fields in Kuwait, the regime released about five million barrels of oil into the Arabian Gulf. Even today, there are still environmental clean-up actions being taken. The threat at the time was not only to the environment but also to the numerous water desalinization plants along the Gulf. The long-term effects on the water tables in various countries are still being analyzed.

Today, it is estimated that in Kuwait, about 30 percent of its water is unusable, which is critical to such an arid country. The department has determined that up to 15 desalinization plants would be affected were Iraq to undertake such actions today, critically affecting many of Iraq's neighbors.

U.S. plans are first to prevent the destruction of Iraq's oil fields and second, if unable to prevent the destruction, to control and mitigate the damage quickly. The department has crafted strategies that will allow U.S. forces to secure and protect the oil fields as rapidly as possible in order to preserve them prior to destruction. U.S. military forces would be responsible for securing and protecting the oil sites, and under appropriate contractual arrangements, private sector companies would extinguish any fires and assess damage to oil facilities.

The department has a plan for dealing, on short notice, with oil well fires that might occur in Iraq. Brown & Root Services a division of Kellogg Brown & Root, Inc., Houston developed the plan, which also addresses assessing damage to oil facilities, for the government.

• dubla
    dubla

thichi and email:

lies! propaganda and lies i tell you!! that money will go directly into bushs private bank account! why do you believe everything the media tells you?

aa

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Powell: U.S. won't claim Iraq's oil

By WARREN VIETH
    Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON - Secretary of State Colin Powell insisted yesterday that the United States has no plans to claim Iraq's oil fields or use its petroleum revenue to recoup the cost of a possible war.

Powell, offering the most explicit U.S. assurance to date about the future of Iraq's oil industry, said future production proceeds would be held "in trust" for ordinary Iraqis.

"The oil of Iraq belongs to the Iraqi people," Powell said. "Whatever form of custodianship there is . . . it will be held for and used for the people of Iraq. It will not be exploited for the United States's own purposes."

Powell's pledge addressed one of the most sensitive issues facing the administration as it prepares for military action in Iraq: the claim that President Bush's campaign to oust Saddam Hussein is really about oil, not weapons of mass destruction.

Although the administration had previously denied that its Iraq policy is fueled by oil, it had not revealed its thinking about postwar control of Iraq's petroleum industry or use of its oil revenue for purposes other than postwar reconstruction.

Oil industry analysts and insiders said Powell appeared to be trying to quell expectations that Iraq's vast oil reserves - second only to Saudi Arabia's - might become the spoils of war.

"I think it was designed to have a calming effect on people who have other thoughts about what might be done with the Iraqi oil sector," said Robert Ebel, energy program director at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "There's a message there for a lot of people, and not all of them are outside this country."

Powell said he was not certain how Iraq's oil revenue would be allocated after a war, but he indicated that U.S. officials are not seeking to use the funds for reparations.

"I don't know of anybody who's made that suggestion," he said. "It'll be held in trust for the Iraqi people, and it will benefit the people of Iraq."

He said the United States, if it assumed administrative responsibility in a postwar Iraq, would "religiously" follow international law governing the responsibilities of an occupying power.

But he indicated that the administration had not decided who would exercise day-to-day decision-making authority. Since the 1991 Persian Gulf War, Iraq's oil production has been supervised by the United Nations.

"How will we operate it? How best to do that? We are studying different models," Powell said.

He did not rule out the use of Iraq's oil revenue to cover a portion of postwar peacekeeping and reconstruction expenses incurred by the United States or other nations.

"Whether or not it can be used to assist the occupying power in conducting activities that support the Iraqi people - for example, their humanitarian relief efforts . . . these are all issues I just don't have the expertise to get into."

Although Iraq's fields are capable of generating at least $10 billion a year for the government, experts say the cost of rebuilding the nation's infrastructure and providing for other postwar needs could run as high as $100 billion.

"The revenue from the oil business will be spoken for two or three times over for the first couple of years," said Philip Verleger Jr., a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations.

Energy industry officials have cited a split within the administration over the oversight of Iraq's oil industry after any regime change. One faction, identified with Powell's State Department, reportedly has favored a policy that would leave control of the industry largely in the hands of Iraqi petroleum professionals. Another camp has advocated a more aggressive policy, with the United States exerting influence over prices, production rates and exploration rights.

Powell insisted otherwise. "There is no disagreement," he told reporters. "What I've just told you, you can take to the bank."

• reporter
    reporter

Nice. ThiChi posts the DoD propaganda. Ok fair is fair...

A debate in the UK Parliament has begun on a motion from Blair to support military action against Iraq. In the opening speech Blair said that Iraqi oil revenues will be administered for the Iraqi people BY A UN TRUST.

So is this what the war is all about? The UN wants the oil, but doesn't want to be seen to going in there and taking it by supporting military action, so the anglo-americans, whose idea the UN is, do it for them?

This slip from Blair shows that the war is NOT about discrediting the UN, but is actually about strengthening it. The London Times reported that the UN would administer Iraq three months after the Saddam regime has been removed, and now Blair has confirmed that the UN will decide how Iraq will spend the proceeds of oil sales. From the speeches from our great leaders you could be forgiven in thinking that Iraqi oil would be extracted, refined, and marketed by Iraqi oil companies for Iraqi people. It now appears as though it will be Anglo-American companies extracting, refining and marketing the oil, and the revenues managed by the UN.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"thichi and email:

lies! propaganda and lies i tell you!! that money will go directly into bushs private bank account! why do you believe everything the media tells you? ""

Hahaahaa! No, I don't believe everything what the media tells me. However, you have no proof for the reasons of your claim. Please prove otherwise.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit