Poll: Please Help with my Research....

by teenyuck 38 Replies latest jw friends

• NewSense
    NewSense

Hi Joanna:

Since you mention my name and something I posted, I feel that I should clarify some things. The first thing I want to say is that I am an natural-born American; I was born in the U.S.A. I have been living in Southeast Asia for the past twelve years where I work as a university professor. I, by no means, hate the U.S.A. In fact, I love the U.S. with all my heart. However, what I do not accept - what I will never accept - is the viewpoint of many of my beloved fellow Americans which states that, in order to be "patriotic," a person cannot criticize current foreign policy. I do not accpet the notion that speaking out against the war in Iraq makes a person less loving of country, or, and even worse, a traitor. This idea I reject totally. One of my life's central tenets is to question ALL AUTHORITY. I know; it's an old hippie idea, but what can I say, I'm a forty-five-year-old OLD FART (Someone attacked me for being a bigot for using that term. Maybe what I didn't express clearly enough originally was that I was including myself in that very same category. And, besides, I was only saying it humorously). Anyway, I am constantly, constantly telling my students to question all authority, all beliefs, all "scripture" of any kind. I tell them to think for themselves and to never, ever let anyone think for them. In my classroom, academic freedom rules. Any student can express any idea or belief without fear of humiliation or punishment - even if it diametrically opposed o what I think.

I believe that it my patriotic duty to question the policy of my government. A true lover of one's country will always be the first to do so; this is what I believe. To briefly restate what I have said before, I truly believe that the U.S. aggression towards Iraq is completely illegal and immoral. In short, it is total evil. As member of the United Nations, the U.S. is legally and morally bound to respect the authority of the U.N. The U.N. has given no mandate for military action in Iraq. Moreover, the U.N. has declared the Kuwaiti border with Iraq a demilitarized zone. As a consequence, the Bush administration is violating every legal and moral injunction conceivable. But, after all, MIGHT MAKES RIGHT, does it not? It's a Darwinian world out there. Screw international law! Screw international mandate and world opinion! Tooth and fang rule; and the U.S. currently has the biggest teeth and fangs.

Oh! There I go again! Getting all pissed off. T'is truly the curse of being an Irish-American (And I sure as hell put the emphasis on AMERICAN!). Another thing that I try to teach my students is balance. So, I will now attempt to give some balance in regards my feelings toward the U.S. The truth is people all over the world would still give their right arm and/or leg for a chance to come and live in the U.S. I know for a fact that, of the hundreds of thousands of Chinese who have come to the U.S. over the years for graduate study, less than one third have returned; that means that more than two thirds have opted to stay in the U.S. It can't be denied that the U.S. continues to be -as it always has been - the prime choice for refugees and immigrants. So, I guess that the U.S. must be doing something right. And, I'm sure it is not only because the U.S. is such a rich nation. I remember reading years ago how Japan so "graciously" agreed to take in a small amount of refugees (from Vietnam of Cambodia, I can't remember). Anyway, each and everyone of those people refused to go to Japan! They wanted the U.S.

Well, this post is too long already. I'll finish, Joanna, by saying that I am not a monster (but, it's your right to still hate me, if that's what you want). I have a lot of faults; but I'm not evil. I'm no better or worse than anyone posting here, but if you believe me to be worse, go ahead. I hope that you can understand my feelings and ideas a little better now. Yeah, I know that I have an uncanny ability to piss people off. It's one of my natural abilities. But, you know, that might not be a totally bad thing. When people get pissed, they sometimes think. I like to stir things up - you know, rattle people's cages...bust balls...crush cojones...you get the picture. Like Socrates, I'm the little gadfly that bugs the shit out of people. Oh my God! I just realized that Socrates ended up dead! Oooooohhhh Nooooo Mr. Bill! (Anybody remember Mr. Bill from the 80's Saturday Night Live?)

• nowisee
    nowisee

you know, i think we're ALL in a pretty sorry state. each country seems to have its own strengths and weaknesses. some are REALLY awful, but we're all awful. i think the most we can do is to live our lives in the best way we can. create peace within our own sphere of influence. treat our families, friends, acquaintances, people with whom we come in contact (like on the road) with love, dignity and respect. try to understand the views of our enemies. perhaps if each one of us did this on an individual basis the world really could change.

• Realist
    Realist

hello teenyuck,

i don't think anyone says the US is the worst place in the world! but it has some major flaws....more than a couple of other industrialized nations. nevertheless its of course one of the better places in the world.

to answer your question:

the best country to live in is switzerland (if one disregards pseudocountries like luxenbourg) as far as i know and as far as i can tell.

what i would improve about my country? many things...less beurocracy, more optimism in the future, more money for research etc.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

NewSense, I posted the original thingy with your name in it....

You live in another country and are American. You have a unique perspective that most people in the USA never will. That is good. It provides balance.

Questioning the government is critical. The problem is keeping things fair and balanced. That is seemingly difficult. However, if one takes the time, one can see left and right interpretations of any given story. I try.

As a consequence, the Bush administration is violating every legal and moral injunction conceivable. But, after all, MIGHT MAKES RIGHT, does it not? It's a Darwinian world out there. Screw international law! Screw international mandate and world opinion! Tooth and fang rule; and the U.S. currently has the biggest teeth and fangs.

I don't think every legal and moral injuction is being violated. Are there better ways to handle the whole situation? Yes, but I don't know how. I am not allowed into the Pentagon briefing room, nor the west wing....got kicked out last time I tried

Nowisee & Abaddon...I agree. That was the point to the thread.

• Realist
    Realist

newsense,

excellent post!

PS: what subject are you teaching?

• NewSense
    NewSense

Dear Teen:

You ask if there might not be better ways to handle the problem in Iraq. One thing that comes to mind is to let the Iraqi people take care of Saddam. Most of them hate him. Given enough time, they will settle their score with him. For all its problems, and despite everything, Iraq is a sovereign nation. No nation whatsoever has any business interfering in the affairs of another sovereign nation. Only the Iraqi people have the right to get rid of Saddam. I would say that Saddam has very few friends, either in his own country or in the Arab world. When the Iraqi people have enough of him, they will get rid him. Or maybe now I have to say, they *would have gotten* rid of him, if the U.S had not intervened. The ironic thing is, I fear, is that the U.S. intervention will prove *counter-productive* to what it hopes to accomplish. In other words, now the people of Iraq will rally around Saddam in spite of their hatred for him. There is an old Arab saying: "I fight against my brother. My brother and I fight against our cousin. My brother, our cousin and I fight against the foreigner." Think about what it says, because it says a lot. Think back to that horrible, September 11. What did the American people do? They rallied around Bush. This is only natural. What I fear is that the U.S. has given Saddam what he did not have before - legitimacy. Legitimacy and the sympathy of the Arab world, the part of the world that once feared and hated him. In so many ways, it is my opinion that intervening in Iraq (hell, let's call a spade a "spade" and say invading Iraq) is the worst thing they could have done. To end, let me say that war has never accomplished anything. War will never accomplish anything.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

NewSense,

I loved Mr. Bill....Best SNL was in the 70's, then the early 80's with Eddie Murphy. If you get Comedy Central where you are, check out "Tough Crowd" which is a new show on after "The Daily Show". It is a group of comedians doing a show similar to Politically Incorrect. Very funny with all the comedians giving their opinion.

You are correct about war. I don't think the Iraqi's could get Saddam alone. He has too many people frightened and too many people are afraid to speak up....they seem to enjoy cutting out tongues and gouging eyes.

I am glad that things can be discussed and not screamed....I hope that makes sense.

PS...I don't hate you or anyone else on this board. I just don't like the name calling and insults to make a point.

Thanks for your input

PSS....I would love to see Switzerland...."The Hills are Alive...."

• NewSense
    NewSense

Realist:

You say "excellent post." Are you serious, or were you being ironic? A little voice tells me that you may serious. If that's case, then let me say thank you; and bless your little sugar-plum heart! <Newsense has to stop to wipe off the tears that are streaming down his cheeks threatening to flood his keyboard and short-circuit his computer> Oh, shit, now I'm all choked up. Hell, most of the people on this board think I'm a total asshole (And, you know, they're right!). Excuse me, but the only thing that will make me feel better now is to blow my nose and fart. Be right back...honk, honk,.... FAAAARRRTTTT. Ah, now I feel much better. Now where was I? Oh, right!! Thank you for the compliment. I'll savor it and keep it in my heart forever because, between you and me, compliments directed toward me in this forum are more rare than hens' teeth.

What do I teach? I teach French, English public speaking (speech/rhetoric), computer English, advanced English reading and the literature of the Western world. All of my students are natives to this place and learning English as a foreign language. My Ph.D. is in French literature, not a "hot" subject of study in the U.S. nowadays, if you know what I mean. That's one reason why I am now living seven thousand miles from my home. I've been here eleven years, though. So, I can't complain.

• email
    email

NewSense:

I can infer from your post that you are an articulate intelligent person. BUT… I think that what you just posted is ALL B.S. NewSense you are a HYPOCRITE when you say you "Love the U.S. with all your heart" … IF that is so… can you explain WHY would you cheer for a terrorist group like the "macheteros"? I wish Simon hadn't removed that post of yours so that everyone could read it… but you basically cheered for them saying: "viva los macheteros!, viva Che Guevara!, viva Puerto Rico Libre!"… I already explain who that terrorist group is and you didn't give any response to your ANTI-AMERICAN, hatred-filled statements ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/48560/2.ashx ). You support a terrorist organization and therefore you are being hypocritical on your statements that you "love America"… why don't you come out as you really are and stop pretending to be someone you're NOT !?

P.S. a quick google seach for "los macheteros" would give you MANY links… I found this one particularly interesting: http://www.fiu.edu/~fcf/cuprfargo.html

• email
    email
    That's one reason why I am now living seven thousand miles from my home.

OR... the real reason MIGHT be that the F.B.I is after your tail...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit