Poll: Please Help with my Research....

by teenyuck 38 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Since everyone (from the Dixie Chicks to NewSense) seems to agree that the USA is the worst country on earth (perhaps "The Great Beast" even?) and the USA does not "do" enough to help everyone else on earth, a short poll:

1. What country is the best on earth today...ie: no taxes, free everything, no military, no enemies, no borders, free food, no crime, no locks on anything, no politicians, etc. (feel free to define "best" your own way)

2. Have you ever run for public office? School board to President of your country? Why? What changes did you effect?

3. How would you make your country a better place for all citizens? (this does not include paying taxes and not murdering your neighbor for their new car) I mean real change....what would you do, given total power over all things in your country?

4. How do you currently make your country a better place for all citizens?

Thank you for your help and answering. I will post results in a few days.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Godd questions, teenyuck!

1. Although our healthcare system comes pretty far down the league table of developed countries, I think there are far worse places to live than the UK. I am one of those weirdos that does not object to paying taxes for public services, so tax rates do not bother me. I think if I had to choose to live somewhere other than the UK, I'd choose the Netherlands. On my few visits there, it seems like a really good place to live. And their Royal Family are not an embarrassment like ours.

2. No, I have never run for public office. I can not delude myself that I could do a decent job of it.

3. I would bring in a system of national service which really meant service to the nation, not square bashing. I like to think that the country would be a better place if all our nationalised industries had not been privatised and then bought by foreign companies. I would disestablish the Church of England (separation of church and state, as applies in Wales). Overhaul the health, education and justice systems. That would take a lot of money, so I would raise taxes, but I would make the personal allowance a meaningful number (£10000+) and abolish higher tax rates. One tax rate for all, no caps. Try to educate the public to care as much about our children as we do about foxes.

In reality, even with infinite power and resources, you could not improve the lives of everyone. Tara Palmer-Tompkinson would not be better off if I was in power, for a start. Hence my answer #2.

4. To be honest, I consider that the worst off person in the UK is much better off than the vast majority of the worlds population, so thus far I have put more resources into helping overseas charities. If I am honest, I am not doing nearly as much as I could to help people in the UK or overseas. I still think I am doing more than most people though.

I really thought I was helping my country when I contributed to the Labour party in the run up to the 1997 elections. Maybe I was. These days I am not sure.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The best country on earth to live?..I`ll give you a hint..It`s the country where they make Molson Canadian beer.....OUTLAW

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Fe203, thank you for the candid responses.

OUTLAW....you crack me up. I should have added free, good beer....

Come on folks....that means you...the ones with the opinion on everything. We cannot know if you keep it in.

• jgnat
    jgnat

1. What country is the best on earth today...ie: no taxes, free everything, no military, no enemies, no borders, free food, no crime, no locks on anything, no politicians, etc. (feel free to define "best" your own way)

The UN reports on the "best" place to live every year, using the following criteria. Wanna use the UN as your measuring rod?

• life expectancy;
    • educational achievement -- adult literacy plus combined primary, secondary and tertiary enrolment; and
    • standard of living -- real GDP per capita based on PPP exchange rates.

Check out which country is the "best" place to live according to these criteria, http://www.english-vancouver.com/canada-human-development/

http://www.undp.org/hdr2002/sakiko.html

no taxes, no politicians, - give me a break! Taxes is simply an agreed amount of pooled money to pay for things better done as a group than individually. Like roads. Get rid of taxes, and we would each have to fix all our own potholes on the way to work. Politicians people we pick to manage that money. Is it their fault we vote in idiots and then blame the idiots for everything that goes wrong?

free food, free everything, - give me a break! I was raised by Presbyterian Canadian Scots. The first thing they taught me is that nothing in this world comes for free. We work to eat. Without this little motivator, we would loll around in bed all day. What a waste!

no military, no enemies, no borders, no crime, no locks on anything, - as soon as the bullies leave the planet, we can work on utopia.

2. Have you ever run for public office? School board to President of your country? Why? What changes did you effect? I volunteer where I can. Parent advisory board, condo association, etc. I get involved with the issues affect my life. Some of my ideas are taken, others flop. Such is life when we work with a bunch of other people.

3. How would you make your country a better place for all citizens? (this does not include paying taxes and not murdering your neighbor for their new car) I mean real change....what would you do, given total power over all things in your country? Within my own power, I treat people as I would like to be treated. I look for opportunities to do a kindness. I do not have to wait to be in total power to do these things. Total power is a myth (except maybe at Bethel). The higher the person moves in an organization, the more constrained he is in what he can accomplish. For instance, a Prime Minister stays in power only as long as he retains the confidence of his cabinet. He also must remember to reward those who helped him gain power, so that they do not turn in to opponents. There are peers, mentors, and members of the public to consider. Canada needs a ten year plan (right now planning only lasts up to the next election). The civil service needs a serious overhaul. The Auditor General must be taken seriously. Taxes needs to be reduced and simplified.

4. How do you currently make your country a better place for all citizens? See answer to question 3. I bake cookies. I remember to say "thank you" to the clerk in the store. I smile and say hello to the office janitor.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

bttt

I would hope that everyone who has expressed such strong opinions on the world would post

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Since everyone (from the Dixie Chicks to NewSense) seems to agree that the USA is the worst country on earth (perhaps "The Great Beast" even?) and the USA does not "do" enough to help everyone else on earth, a short poll:

Teenyuck: I think you are misunderstanding some people. Just because someone opposes US Policy doesn't mean that they feel the United States is the worst country in the world. I read only one quote from the Dixie Chicks which stated their displeasure with Bush. I don't think that means they hate America. I did not read the quote from NewSense, do you have it? I would like to read it. Any other quotes you have where people are voicing hatred for America I would be curious to read.

You seem to be after Utopia's. None exist so this is hard to nail down. I do balk at the notion that any country has the one and only best way to do things and should be allowed to inforce those ways of doing things in other countries.

2. Have you ever run for public office? School board to President of your country? Why? What changes did you effect?

Not as of yet. Once I get out of school, and get a job...I would seriously consider it. As for now I get involved with campus politics whenever I can.

3. How would you make your country a better place for all citizens? (this does not include paying taxes and not murdering your neighbor for their new car) I mean real change....what would you do, given total power over all things in your country?

I would try to make healthcare available for everyone. I would put limits on campagin finance (which keeps people like me and you from being able to even consider running for office). I would abolish the electoral college. I would make sweeping educational reforms, give more money to social services and less to military spending. (Military funding would go to troops, personel, and family etc. Not bomb building.)

4. How do you currently make your country a better place for all citizens?

I volunteer in schools. I am going to be a teacher. My teaching philosophy will be to create critical competent thinkers, to create an environment in my classroom and school of peace, understanding, and respect.

But then again I am just a young loathsome idealistic punk...so what I feel and think is irrelevant, right?

Out of curiousity Teenyuck, I would like to hear your respones to your own informal poll.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Best country to live in? That depends on how much money a person has. Generally the country the US President is from, so that would be Texas. They never got over that Lone Star State thing. And Bush will always take care of 'Home".

Changes? Change 'rules of evidence' law to be more like the UK. Change the lawsuit regs. Make all health care costs tax deductible. Do away with Welfare and make those lazy bums work, remember the CCC and the WPA. Take control of drug distribution and ruin the drug loards power base..money.

Make child wellness, education, and protection a major priority. Make sure teachers and police are the best trained and paid on earth. It could be paid for by adding a Laywer Tax. Lawyers have to pay more for everything, after all they get a peice of every deal done in the country.

By not working for lawyers,ever! No lawyers or psychologists and psychiatrists. And I give police officers and teachers a discount for my services. Maverick

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

There is no such country. For me, I am inordinately fond of my homeland, England, but at the same time I can tell you lots of things I don’t like about it, from the stupidity of the population voting for low taxes for two decades, and then whining about bad schools, bad hospitals, bad roads and bad public transport, to how women are unfairly treated by the criminal justice system, to an extent that the UK violates UN guidelines. I like the ‘States, but don’t think I could live there. Religious nuts have too much influenece and I don't trust them as their invisable friends don't make sense. I live in

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Jo and Mav, thanks for answering.

The idea behind the "poll" was to get the people on all sides of the "I hate America and I am embarrassed to live here" to "I love America and everything about it" and the "America and Americans are a bunch of stupid/lazy/greedy/overweight/uneducated/corporate greed....the list goes on" To Think About What They Type.

No country is perfect. That is the point. Pointing out all the "flaws" of one country serves no purpose except to cause dissention and arguement. Calling the President names does the same thing.

I like the USA. As Abbandon pointed out on another thread, there are positives and negatives. Negatives to me include: Urban sprawl without adequate public transportation, inability to educate (needs a total overhaul), Kansas (lived there in what I term Pergatory for 3 years in Wichita), tax system, IRS, electoral college, healthcare, prescriptions.....my list goes on and on.

Positives include: Freedom, the ability to be totally uninformed and still be allowed to voice my opinion, the shopping, the blue sky, the freedom to move from one income bracket to another without being sold into marriage....my list goes on and on.

All I can do to effect change is by voting and volunteering I can treat people as I want to be treated (and I do) and try to help people who are not as priviledged as I. (this is done by giving $$ to various chairities)

I have visited other countries. Some I liked; some I did not. Big deal. Will my voicing my disdain for the other country make changes? No. Resounding.

My personal thought is this:

There are quite a few countries with nukes. We can lay down all our weapons and military and hope that they don't hurt us. Or we can keep our weapons and play a "hands off game" with the other countries that could hurt us. Like we did during the cold war.

I am sure that China will take over someday as "the world power". Will I care? Only if I am alive. I doubt I will be. They have a lot of people who need to climb out of the illiteracy pit.

As far as "free everything"....of course that does not and will not exist. Except in the new system...

I don't want more tax dollars given to social programs. They are failing. When social programs come from people who are really trying to make a change in that persons life, with their particular problem, they do better. I would much prefer to go to a chairity than a government institution to get a hand out. At least the people at the chairity will leave me with dignity....the person behind the government desk, deciding if I should get welfare, could care less if I leave with dignity and it shows.

Education is key. We as a country need to have a better educational system. Do I know how to fix it? Not a clue. However, I can see it needs fixing.

As for the "left" screaming that Bush is an idiot/murderer/like Saddam/etc.....I really find that sad. Clinton was a snake dressed as a penis and everyone thought what a great guy he was. I don't like or agree with Bush's religious stance. I hate it. When he is up for re-election, I will really evaluate other candidates and perhaps vote for someone who does not "thank God" at every chance he gets.

I guess the point of my whole thread was to make people think. It is easy to point out flaws....since so few responded, yet so many read the thread tells me that all the complainers have no answers. But they want it "better"....better than what--define better.

I think the "paradise" thought is in the back of the minds of many people still here. The naysayers (about paradise) are the ones calling for "give more to the poor", "stop funding the military", "the rich should pay more", etc. This is nice; noble. However, it ain't gonna happen. I have my mind set firmly around the idea that the world might settle down for periods of time, however, there will always be war, suffering, less educated, lower income people.

My thoughts on the "war" are that it could have been handled much better. How? I don't have a clue. I was never in the military, nor have I ever been in charge of 230 million lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit