Confusion about support for forces and support for war

by Simon 20 Replies latest social current

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Look, on the question of who wants war, I can bet that most do not. If I was serving, I would hope the Nation I would represent would be grateful for putting my life on the line.

The insult is when false facts, lies and smoke are used to misrepresent your Nation’s intent and reasons for going to war..........That is unforgivable! ""A soldiers mission, job, if you will, is to win the war. How can you possibly be for him and against his accomplishing his mission at the same time?"""

wow, cold, hard, logic can really open up the mind, good point!
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

""The absence of a UN security counsel approval leaves me with mixed feelings. ""

Please read UN Resolutions 660, 680 and 1441......It has been approved. 30 Nations are with us, France, who said they would kill any other resolution, killed any more votes.........The UN is already planning to come in after the War! What a great bunch of guys.......

Who cares about the UN when they place Libya as chair for their human rights committee? What a joke!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I would rather be a Bush Robot than a red diaper doper baby! (Please don’t tell Simon on me).

• Simon
    Simon

ThiChi ... you are convincing yourself and like minded peolpe who have already justified things to themselves ... but few others.

We've heard the rhetoric and that shifting arguments (what is the current reason for the war BTW?) and the fact remains that it is not sanctioned and going against worl opinion.

Don't like it? Be more convincing.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Read what I wrote and don't be an idiot.

Simon, you been hanging out with Trauma Hound too much? That sounds more like one of his replies.

As for not wanting people to die, I have to agree with you. But, people are already dieing, are they not? Saddam has shown himself to be ruthless and unforgiving of any who disagree with him. He cannot be negotiated with and has shown he will do whatever he wishes. His sons are reported to be even worse than he is. To me, that killing deserves to be stopped too, just like when Kosovo was invaded.

Killing is killing, yet, it seems the left is all too ready to ignore certain killing yet cry about the possibity of other killing. Israel should stop killing too, but when they are continually suicide bombed, how are they to stop too? Saddam and his regime are killing continually too and also need stopped. Yes, some will die in the process, just like WW2. But, some are willing to make the supreme sacrifice to stop the greater killing.

I'm all for being against death and killing, but let's be consistent and be against all of it, not just some of it.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

It just baffles me that people who are for the military action in Iraq are bringing out human rights NOW...where were you all 6 years ago? How many of you actually knew of the Taliban and what they did to women, before 9/11? Very few I would guess. I was part of an activist group trying to get petitions signed to get the U.N. to step in in Afghanistan. Nothing happened. Until 9/11. Suddenly we hated the Taliban and found them to be oppressive and evil. Let's not kid ourselves. The united states is very picky in who they liberate and who they let waste away under opressive governments.

So, I think it is a perfectly reasonable and logical position to be against the war but supporting the forces.

I couldn't agree more Simon.

I am now seriously concerned for one of my dear friends safety. And I still think this war is madness. Will I look down on my friend when he comes home? Of course not.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    I am now seriously concerned for one of my dear friends safety. And I still think this war is madness. Will I look down on my friend when he comes home? Of course not.

Joanna, this is a good statement. As a veteran, I applaud you for stating you will not look down on your friend. However, may I also add that while he is away and involved in this war, a kind and thoughful word can help his morale more than you'll ever know. Hearing all the statements against it all does little more than make the soldiers feel unappreciated and demoralizes them. I hope you are keeping in touch with him and drop him a kind word as often as you can, it definitely does help them come home.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I would rather be a Bush Robot than a red diaper doper baby! (Please don’t tell Simon on me)

LOL, you'd rather have your life controlled by one idiot, why don't you go back to being a JW? BTW where do you get doper, I don't do drugs moron, it's hard to code, when your stoned, hmm well if I'm a baby, then your a skid mark on the underwear of life. BTW are you Lucky Lucy, because you seem to be defending her alot.

• LB
    LB
    So, I think it is a perfectly reasonable and logical position to be against the war but supporting the forces.

I'll agree with you again Simon, as distasteful as that seems.

But actually I don't wany anyone dead. I would love to see those Iraqai forces wave the white flags and save their own lives too. They aren't evil, it's just their leader.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

ooo dakota's fallen for the right-left trap. lol

pst: dakota - you're acting like Dame Edna. Do you always whack labels on people, then rant at the label? It's quite entertaining from where i sit

===

simon, you're a gentleman

and you speak with such .....radiant calm (and reflect how millions down under feel)

cheers, unclebruce

ps: A lot of yanks seem to be confused by our stand on this and ne're the twain shall meet .. Similar differences were exposed in vietnam. Australians liked to and were trained to go about thier missions as quietly as possible. So while 8AR and and the rest would be stalking the various enemy under as much secrecy as possible, much to thier horror and disgust, the US actually had a policy of firing off massive amounts of amo into the surrounding jungle just before bedding down for the night - unbelievable but true.

===

"why use a nuke to crack a nut?" ub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit