The org. Came out with a Christmas song!!!!

by nowwhat? 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Glory in the heights above" doesn't have the same ring to it that "Gloria in excelsis Deo" does, but at least they're trying. 🙄

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Larry Norman had a song entitled "Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music". The WT probably wrote off "Christendom's" music as the Devil's music, but they've been trending lately to more Hillsong style choruses, I believe*.

I wonder what's driving the trend? WT music has been described as dirge-like, historically, but so what? The WT always had tight control over the sheep; it wasn't like they were allowed to go to other churches where the more upbeat songs made the WT versions sound like crap. So why bother with the change? If it's dull, but all you've ever known, you're hardly going to be champing at the bit for something else.

*From comments posted on this board

• Aletheia1914
    Aletheia1914

Certainly, here are a few scriptures often cited to support the concept of the Trinity in Christianity:

1. **Matthew 28:19**: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." This verse suggests equality between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

2. **2 Corinthians 13:14**: "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." Here, all three persons of the Trinity are mentioned in conjunction, emphasizing their unity.

3. **John 1:1-3**: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made." This passage speaks of the Word (Jesus) being with God and being God, suggesting a divine relationship within the Godhead.

4. **John 10:30**: "I and the Father are one." Jesus declares his unity with the Father, indicating a shared essence or nature.

These verses, among others, are often interpreted by Christians as evidence for the existence of the Trinity—the belief in one God who exists as three distinct persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Quite the shift for WTB&T Society.

In the early 60s, as a little kid, we had a green songbook with some older more traditional mainstream songs. We also used the American Standard and King James Bibles at times.

JWs could informally "speculate" about bible subjects.

It gradually became more and more culty, reflected even in the music.

Eventually, only songs written by an exemplary JW could be used.

Is this a move towards mainstreaming?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Is this a move towards mainstreaming?"

Possibly. If they start allowing JWs to attend Carols in the Domain, possibly have a choir of their own present their new Christmas song to the world, I'll be somewhat impressed. But seriously, doing something like that might gain them serious cachet in the broader community.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We should recognise that the song is new for the Summer Convention, not Christmastime . They have never contested the birth of Christ in Bethlehem so there is no reason to not sing about it .

However, I do agree that the words do sound Christmassy … I think in the past they would have avoided it . It will pass into their library of songs , just don’t choose it in December !

BTW … if you play the audio on the site .. it is pretty dire ..

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

The cover of the convention invitation has Jesus looking like he can't believe it either.

There's so much to unpack from this! I mean this is a paradigm shift.

The joyless, plodding, funereal melody of the song is a clue that watchtower wants to be clear the birth of Jesus, while being Good News that brings Joy to all mankind, is not in itself something joyous or to be celebrated. Just follow that line of thought!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The announcements say there are no plans to include this song in future print editions of the song book. However I rather interpret this as a demotion of the significance of print publications rather than the song. Until now there has been relative parity of provision between print and electronic media. Is this a sign they intend to phase out print altogether?

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

WT HQ is in such a panic not only over all of the CSA cases against them, but also from the mass exodus (especially of the yang wanzzzzz) since COVID, that they are absolutely DESPERATE to stop the hemorrhaging.

Like a hemophiliac who needs a blood transfusion, WT HQ needs an infusion of money and yang wannnzzz to take over responsibilities for all the old geezers of the past "Generation" who are dropping dead like flies.

Guess what? Kingdumb Hellz are now basically empty. If you pop in any random KH today, you see a 3/4's empty building with only Grey Hairz in the chairs. The Yang Wanzzzz had enough, and have already voted with their feet, and with their wallets.

One only has to look at the Christadelphians today (IF you can find one) to see exactly where the JW's are heading.

All this modern, new-age emotionally driven drivel and social media crap they are pulling out of their asses today? Loosening of the reins? "Allowing" grown ass adults to have a beard or wear pants?

Waaaay to little, and VERY too late. They are re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

"Too bad, tooooo baaaaad!"

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

It does sound to me more like they are preparing the Brotherhood for some more "new light".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit