Stand Up Comedy about JWs

by usualusername1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

I thought your jokes were cute and it's a good start. Since JWs are probably what you're most familiar with, it makes sense to write comedy about that but I'm sure you'll branch out into other subjects. Good luck with your course. And I admire your bravery. The thought of doing stand-up comedy is terrifying. Talk about making yourself vulnerable! Good on you.

Yes, it is funny that despite the 130 years of marketing, most of the world knows very little about JWs, or cares to. I've done my bit to fill in the blanks for people whenever the subject has come up - very rarely, as I don't deliberately bring it up. I like to inform them about the shunning and breakup of families, the hiding of pedophiles and the fact that refusing blood transfusions is through coercion more than blind faith for most. Just doing my bit, being helpful and all ;-)

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

I like the Jw day pass idea.

ive thought about doing some Jw stuff in my stand up. I thought about explaining disfellowshiping in an analogy about working for McDonald's.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I have always thought JW-related stuff would work in standup.

You have just proven it.

• dbq407
    dbq407

You would do really well in front of a crowd of ex jw's. I'd definately enjoy it.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I've thought about it but would be worried that it's a bit too narrow, especially since people do not know a lot less about Witnesses than we think and therefore the context and set up risks getting too long winded. With general religiously based stand up there is more understanding of the basic premises you typically use.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

You'd slay 'em at "Apostafest".

Maybe open up for a WT parody-song act.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Well done. Probably good therapy!

You are a brave soul...funny stuff!

• cobweb
    cobweb

Have you checked out Deborah Frances-White. She used to be a jw and is a stand up. If you haven't heard her check out the audio here called 'cult following' : http://www.deborahfrances-white.com/rollsthedice.html

she also appeared as a guest on a very long jwpodcast episode explaining how she got into comedy etc here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSplA_AjPvM

• Mum
    Mum

I heard this one from Garrison Keillor on "A Prairie Home Companion:"

A Jehovah's Witness converted to Unitarianism. So he went from door to door for no particular reason.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Here are some comic bits I remember......... put your own spin on it.

1.Two Elders meet up with two Mormons on the sidewalk..... one elder said "we don't step out of the way for apostates!!!"

"We do!" said one of the Mormons as they stepped around the Witnesses.

2. I invited the young JW into my home and we sat in my living room. He appeared nervous so I said "What have you come to share with me young man?"

"I don't know" said the Witness, "I've never gotten this far before!"

3.The Governing Body of the Jehovah's Witness's were meeting in Brooklyn when one of their helper's burst into the meeting room.

"I've got good news and bad news!" said the helper.

"My goodness" said one of the Governing Body "please tell us!'

"Jesus is back and he's on the phone!!"

"That's wonderful and we are so pleased he's getting in touch with us! What ever could be the bad news?"

".........He's calling from the Vatican!"

4. To a Witness who is making a house call........"Do I look Interested? No.... this look on my face is about having you spin out your tornado of bullshit over someone else's home!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit