Stand Up Comedy about JWs

by usualusername1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername1
    usualusername1

Hello All,

I have just signed up to do a comedy course. It starts in September.

In order to get a headstart, I did my first 5 minutes tonight about JWs.

I explained that I celebrated my first birthday last week.
    Bemusement and a tittle.

Explained that if you could choose between Hare Krishnas and people standing at a trolley/cart as a religion who would you choose?
    Got a laugh.

Explained that the whole world will be destroyed if you do not listen to our message, yet we are not prepared to initiate a conversation at a trolley.
    Big laugh

I asked the MC to help me flirt with a women. I did so badly.
    Got a laugh

I explained about my new company JWPass where you get 24hr membership to be a JW. Especially useful on Christmas day.
    They liked it.

I asked what do they associate with JWs and a guy said "Bad suits"
    Huge laugh

A quarter of my audience had spoken to a JW and nobody knows anything but our issues around birthdays, Christmas, blood and our preaching.

After 130 years of preaching I would call that a marketing failure.

Will do my same jokes tomorrow and try and improve hopefully

Paul

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Despite all those recorded hours in field service, the general population knows very little about the religion. You will find that the really funny stuff will just go past your audience because they just don't understand.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

BTW, good luck. If done correctly I think you could make a career out of the JW jokes.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I am sure there will be much more of comedic value that will come to mind but you seem to be off to a great start!

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I've been to a lot of standup in my life, and man, hate to break it to you, but most of those aren't even jokes.

Comedians with jokes that specific don't make it too far.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Good luck. Branch out. You can get it. Its a tough slog through comedy, but if you enjoy it, go for it. You need character, relatability, and conversational comedy. Don't be overly specific, just tell stories and tweak them until they are funny.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Let the audience know that a "Jehovah's Witness Assembly Hall" isn't the place where JW's are manufactured.

Explain to them that New Lite is old doctrine that has been put on a diet.

Tell them that the literature trolleys they are seeing around town, are a direct result of inexpensive and easy to install Bible Detectors having become available at Home Depot and the reason no one answers their doors to JW's anymore.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We've all been laughing about the comedy that is the society for years now....

• Landy
    Landy

What BB said - it's too narrow and you'll die on your arse.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Why dont witnesses make good hardware store workers?

They spend all day in the doors section knocking on each one....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit