'church elders are told to report any allegations of child sexual abuse to the authorities immediately'

by was a new boy 35 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

'The spokesperson also said that church elders are told to report any allegations of child sexual abuse to the authorities immediately, even if there is only one complainant.'

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/rebekah-vardy-sexually-abused-child-jehovahs-witnesses/

Is this true? Worldwide? Or only in the UK? When did this 'new light' letter go out?

I'd like to read the Elder's letter verifying this.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Asked whether making the documentary had given her closure on what she experienced as a child, Ms Vardy said: "Definitely. I think this chapter has closed...'

Earlier in the article she says, "What happened to me during my childhood still affects me every single day."

Which means, there is no 'closure' yet.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

They are told to immediately call the branch! Elder just told me this, he had waited until Monday instead of Sunday evening. No mention of police.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

'The Jehovah’s Witnesses strongly denies that it fails to take action when presented with allegations of sexual abuse perpetrated by its members and that it is “false and offensive” to say they try to prevent the authorities investigating sex abuse claims.'

Rebekah Vardy accuses church of covering up her sexual abuse (msn.com)

Yes now, but what about in the past?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I found this informative as to how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krv1A8UtCXY&t=31s

• Biahi
    Biahi

When they say they report right away, they mean they report to the branch, NOT the police, or civil authorities. They are liars, but they say this because they use their definition of a lie, they don’t think the journalists, or others are entitled to be told the truth.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

And if the Branch tells them to report, they’ve been advised to go into another town, report anonymously, using a pay phone.

Anybody wanna hazard a guess how often tips like that get investigated (or even taken seriously, FTM)?

Or - more importantly - whether or not the Branch knows how often?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

they call the branch first who tells them the work around...that is what I liked about the video I linked. It was explained. (loopholes and hopeful loopholes! )

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS used to say they did not have to report it to the police, because it was a sin not a crime per their interpretation of the bible. Now the WTS hides behind the clergy-penitent law/status, although the accused jw does not just confess to one person (who keeps it to themselves, does not share it, like confession to a priest) but the elders make a report that other elders know it and send it to WT headquarters). Add to that the WTS proclaims they don't have a clergy class. Yes, before elders do anything about a child sexual abuse situation, it is Call Legal, Call Legal, Call Legal, not the service desk (renamed Branch Office) to get advice. So the WTS really sees it as a crime, if the elders are to call Legal first. WT 2021 October p. 20 In contrast, true worshippers of Jehovah have no clergy. Although we respect those who are taking the lead, we accept Jesus’ clear teaching: “All of you are brothers.” (Matt. 23:8-10)

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

'Jehovah's Witnesses said: "Elders are directed to immediately report an allegation of child sexual abuse to authorities, even if there is only one complainant."

Patiently waiting for an Elder to come out and contradict their statement.

'Rebekah Vardy: Jehovah's Witnesses And Me, is on Channel 4 at 10pm on Tuesday.'

Rebekah Vardy says mum didn't believe her about being abused aged 12 in Jehovah’s Witnesses (msn.com)

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1658206312281284625

·
    Views

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit