What bothers/worries you most about the war ?

by m0nk3y 41 Replies latest social current

• Shakita
    Shakita

Our former neighbor's son, who was my son's friend throughout school, is now in Kuwait. His Mom, a very kind person and a great neighbor, was written up in the newspaper last week saying how upset she is and is so very worried about her son. My heart went out to this family, they are going through so much now.

What bothers me most about this war that is hours away?........... that the chemical/biological weapons Saddam has said he doesn't have, that his son has said he will rain down upon invading troops.

Source: International Institute for Strategic Studies:

Chemical Weapons Iraq has claimed to have in the past, unknown what has happened to them...

Sulfur Mustards - blister agent - 2,850 tons

Tabun - nerve agent - 210 tons

Sarin - nerve agent - 759 tons

Cyclosarin - nerve agent - 759 tons

VX - nerve agent - 3.9 tons

CS - tear gas

Biological Weapons:

Anthrax - bacteria - 2,200 gallons

Botulinum - toxin - 5,000 gallons

Ricin - toxin - 3 gallons

Gas Gangrene - bacteria - 89 gallons

Aflatoxin - toxin - 581 gallons

Trichothecenes - toxin - Iraq has claimed it has researched this toxin

Rotavirus - Iraq has claimed it has researched this toxin

Wheat Smut - fungus - in 1991 Iraq has claimed all destroyed

Mrs. Shakita

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Interesting CS gas is listed, the cops in Seattle used it on WTO crowds like it was christmas.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

What bothers me most is that it didn't need to even happen. A show of solidarity from the UN and not useless resolution after resolution, could have avoided the entire thing and forced Saddam into disarming without a single shot being fired.

• Simon
    Simon

Well, that is what the UN was doing ... but the USA got impatient and never really wanted the inspection routine to work. It's notable that the more success the UN inspectors had, the more the USA pressed for war and tried to disrupt the process.

"Oh, if only everyone would just agree with us and fall into line"

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

What bothers me is the loss of life if we don’t go in. Reports taken on Capital Hill yesterday indicate that 1,000 babies are dying a month because the government is diverting oil for food programs to other pursuits. Dissidents are dying at a faster rate, some say to leave no witnesses of the crimes the madman and his sons have committed.

Terror training camps have been located in Iraq. Wake up!

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

The UN was playing Saddam's appeasement game. Even Hans Blix said that Saddam has no credability. Saddam was saying that he had no chemical weapons, now we find out that he is planning to use them against our troops? What were the inspections accomplishing? Saddam wasn't cooperating, was never going to cooperate and the UN gave in to him every time like bad parents with a disobediant child. So called 'success' was measured by how saddam could push out a few weapons in front of the inspectors that he formerly claimed not to have and that he had a lot more of that he wasn't telling the UN. He would have played this game perpetually until he had the time to develop even worse weapons and the US was forced to send its troops home.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Well, that is what the UN was doing ""

Yeh, 12 years and 13 Resos to quit! Thank God 1441 was passed by the UN so we can address this madman!

Ignorance is Blix!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Well, that is what the UN was doing ... but the USA got impatient and never really wanted the inspection routine to work. It's notable that the more success the UN inspectors had, the more the USA pressed for war and tried to disrupt the process.

12 years and 17 UN resolutions later, with France fighting all the way wanting sanctions lifted so they could complete their financial contracts for oil, it was hardly ever a solid front. Where has there ever been any teeth in the resolutions? 1441 was the only one that called for consequences and now, they still don't want it followed through. The only real successes the inspectors finally received came about as more and more US and British troops amassed near Iraq. Even then, the success was very limited and more of a show than anything. Saddam still refused to account for known weapons that he clearly admitted to before.

"Oh, if only everyone would just agree with us and fall into line"

In fighting Saddam and saving the Iraqi people, yes, that would be nice. I admire the British as much as I ever did. Too bad some of the populace there have forgotten the lessons they learned over 50 years ago in dealing with tyrants.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Too bad some of the populace there have forgotten the lessons they learned over 50 years ago in dealing with tyrants.

Yes, far too many willing to say "I'm all right Jacques." But not all, fortunately.

Expatbrit

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

The Greeks have a saying: "When the buffalo fight in the stream it's the frogs that suffer." It really hurts to think of people dying while the leaders who started this just sit back and orchestrate it.

Nina (of the Frog class, definitely)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit