How the Society can change anything they want

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The potential danger of going mainstream is that members may become more comfortable reading about the WTS from sources that aren't approved. I don't know when was the last time they explained their interpretation of Revelation and how it applies to them in 1919. If it hasn't been mentioned in a long enough time, they just memory-hole it.

After all, their books once explained how the measurments of Egyptian pyramids helped with their timelines for predicting events. They thought Jehovah's "home" was in the Pleiades. They stated that organ transplants amounted to cannibalism. They bought a house in preparation for the resurrection of Biblical personalities who would arrive soon and rule as princes. There have to be some JWs who have old magazines/letters from the 60s and 70s in their possession that refer to the "months remaining" before the end of the world. And so on.

They have never been shy about putting their ideas in writing for the rank-and-file, and then brazenly blaming that same rank-and-file for misreading or misremembering those printed words. But that requires a level of control and fear that have to be maintained. The more mainstream they become, the higher the risk of people holding them to their promises and predictions, and not backing down in the face of lies and misdirection.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

On some level, they gotta be aware of all the potential blowback.

My guess is, if they really are expecting the CSA scandals to sink the Org sooner rather than later, this is just to try and put off scuttling the ship for as long as possible.

😏

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Edlogan:

"The question remains, who gave them the authority? Nobody did".

Actually, they did.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    “My guess is, if they really are expecting the CSA scandals to sink the Org sooner rather than later, this is just to try and put off scuttling the ship for as long as possible.“

The deeper issue (and one no doubt deliberately unspoken amongst the higher-ups)…

…is that if the Org can be sunk, it can’t very well be “God’s Exclusive Earthly Organization”, now, can it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit