For Witnesses Who Want To Leave Fade, Disassociate or Get Disfellowshipped?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

It really says something about an organization that takes so much thought to leave and still keep your family and friends intact. It's like mafia or a gang where you can't leave unless it's in a body bag. Just think about it, a grown up can leave their job, school, club, even the military once your time is done, and any other number of things. But with J W's it's all stress and strategy. I think it will get easier as time goes on. In my area of the U.S., even old timers are quitting, pioneers, m. servants and elders. I've had two C.O.'s that hinted that they would leave or resign from the traveling work, but have nowhere to go and no money for retirement. So they keep up the charade. Sad when you think about it.

I'm in the second year of my fade, elders that I served with continue to call and I get messages that the congregation misses me. They want to know why don't they see me on Zoom? I think sometimes that I should D.A., but I have too much family in that would shun me.

• Incognitatara62
    Incognitatara62

The outcome for me is the same regardless of which way I go. I have attempted fading over the last several months mainly because of my family. They now completely shun me since I stopped attending meetings and voiced my doubts. No action has been taken by the cong....yet. I'm simply going to move in with my life, finally, after 59 years and let the chips fall where they may.

Jehovah does not change---Jesus is "the Truth"❣

• JWTom
    JWTom

In my opinion, fading is the least disruptive way to exit. Slow but also does not destroy your personal life in the process. The reality is if you leave too fast you may have so much collateral damage that your life does not become manageable for years. Let's face reality.....you need to have a manageable life in general related to finances, relationships, work and so on or you can end up hating your life. Slow fade for me is the right approach.

Depending on how strong your connections to the Borg are....other approaches may work well. Every situation is different.

• minimus
    minimus

It definitely involves a lot of thinking. A few people just up and leave and it works out for them. Some stay too long and waste their lives. We only have so much time.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good point Min ! I left after 58 wasted years ! if only I had awakened fully much earlier !

Never waste time in the Cult, thinking it will change, or your circumstances will change, once awake, plan your exit to achieve what suits you, then FFS GO !

• minimus
    minimus

I waited probably 10 years before I left for various reasons especially because I didn’t want to kill my dear mother. But eventually I couldn’t take it anymore.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's pretty well covered here already. Different folks have different reasons for choosing different paths.
    If someone chooses to fade and it doesn't work for various reasons (usually family asking too much), they can still just exit. But if you just walk away and lose contact with family, it is very difficult to get that back.

While I am a huge advocate of fading, if I had young children being indoctrinated, I would look for a path that allows them to be free to pursue education, after-school sports or music, celebrate holidays, enjoy a normal life. That path typically involves a clean break and maybe a disassociation letter.

But each person needs to decide what to do.

• minimus
    minimus

Otwo, that definitely throws a monkey wrench into the strict JW parent. They have a difficult time being submissive to their husbands while the father repeatedly goes against Watchtower counsel.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

This has been repeatedly discussed over and over again. There is never a best way to leave. Everyone will carry his or her own load when the time arrives.

I know there are members who have little or no benefit from their membership for certain number of years. These ones when they DA it is as good as nothing to lose.

• cult classic
    cult classic

ReadOnly : We pulled the trigger and cold-turkied it out of there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit