Why do some of you get so worked up over this, JW's control relies on lack

by Its so simple 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Its so simple
  • Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Your question is a theme of a fairly common rant. It basically asks people to defend their reason for being here. But you characterize the participation here as if it is little more than whining over nothing. It also implies that you personally would never get to a point where you would waste your time fighting the "Borg." That we should just get over it.

I admit that I was at a similar place in my thinking for several years after I left. I read a few exJW books and visited with several exJWs, but generally couldn't find a place for myself among them. I wouldn't have thought to antagonize any of the ones who were comfortable associating with other exJWs, but a lot of it was just too negative for my taste at the time. But these discussion groups contain a range of ideas, and not all of it is negative, even if it appears that way generally (or at first glance).

I wanted to answer this thread because I have personally made a conscious effort recently to take a little time out every week, sometimes every day, to participate. Here is why:

A lot more JWs will need support in the next few years. I'm afraid we will soon see many more thousands who will see their support system pulled out from under them -- and most have nothing to fall back on. The JW religion stands on precarious ground. If they are not careful with the changes they need to make to survive as an organization, I suspect they will begin falling apart as an organization within 25 years. There are people here who are anxious to speed up that process, and that may work, too.

I pick 25 years for a combination of reasons. (Mostly because the JWs no longer fulfill my need to make predictions )

• A critical mass of lawsuits ($$): blood, shunning, pedophilia, child custody, etc.
    • Certain types of new scandals will force indefensible responses or watered-down doctrines.
    • The upcoming Internet-savvy generation of JWs will want a better response to all these "attacks" on apostate websites.
    • The increase since 9/11/01 -- the latest JW "rush" -- will question the need for full indoctrination.
    • A new psychological anachronism is about to be realized based on discussing events that started in the late 1800's. This was not as much of a problem in the 20th century.
    • No new sensible dates or chronology to promote.
    • The virtual disappearance of currently defined FDS from the GB and Writing Dept implies, potentially, a "replacement FDS" team on the GB and in WTS Writing. Officially, replacement 144,000 come from unfaithful drop-outs which subliminally undermines the current and past authority of the FDS.
    • Combination of all the above will force a literal decimation by 2025 (loss of about 10%)
    • Losing even a small percent among people who were led to believe that increases are a sign of blessings, can have a snowballing effect on further losses. It could therefore crumble to nothing by 2050.

Collectively, on this forum, we understand from our own experiences what other exJWs initially go through and many here will admit that they have felt comforted by that experience. Some find it meets one of their own needs to be on the forum so that they can be helpful to others. Even after many years we also find it comforting that someone else now understands what we went through. Those factors produce part of the addiction to these sites. It may sound like whining over nothing, but these discussoin sites will become even more indispensible to the exiting process. We will need to be better prepared over the next few years.

I still doubt that I would ever try to do any real damage to the WTS. Is it of any value to damage them? What if we could bring them down as an organization? You imply that we accomplish nothing because some other trick would trap them -- something else would fill the need. Sites like this are probably still only currently seen by a small percentage of those who leave the JWs. But I think we who can should be here and be ready to help others out when they need us. We should give them more options to fill those needs before they get trapped in something else just as bad as the WTS.

Gamaliel

• Its so simple
    Its so simple

Gam,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think people must be given help and support. I think that the focus should be helping people. Let the sorrid stories be told by them. This will accomplish bringing to light the wrongs of the WTBS. Once a record is available of the offense what good comes out of other people restating the obvious? ( sincere question ) I feel if the effort goes toward focusing on the damage to the individual and those with a similar experiece can offer whatever healing advice has helped them.

I agree as well that we will hit critical mass, and I don't feel it will take 25 years. Tort lawyers will drool over the Manhatten properties and their value. I feel this along with dropping donations are the reason for the move to Patterson. WTBS is an emotionless organization, and as such it is no doubt creating a damage control dept complete with a legal defense fund. There is quite simply no where for them to hide from the internet. It will grow and grow ( are we striking a tone with monitering Bethel boys? ) just as so many taboo subjects that have hovered in the dark in the past are now spoken of and dealt with quite openly.

Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate them.

• freedom96
    freedom96

It's not so simple.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Hey Gamaliel: Boy, you sure talk pretty! Where did you learn all them fancy twenty dollar words and can I buy some?... You are very cognizant and I concur with your postulation of the demise of the WatchTower infrastructure in the next twenty years. And tell me, is this guy for real??? Maverick

• jgnat
    jgnat

AlanF vouches for Gamaliel. Look over his past posts. He drops enough information to convince me. I am so thrilled Gamaliel visits now and again. I hope that means the board has matured a little.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We are getting a good membership of posters who care about the board,and the people on it..NewWay has just come back,now Gamaleil,I hear Amazing may be back also...OUTLAW

• jgnat
    jgnat

That is great to hear. I hope if Amazing is back that means his health is better. I am thoroughly enjoying Neon Madman's browse through ancient history. I wonder if all this extra time on his hands means he has finished his schooling?

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

There is much life destroying energy in hate and contention. Find who you love, what you love & pour all your heart and soul into that.

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

This is a point well said. I agree, and its an issue I've always wrestled with, and continue to. I hope to soon get clarity on it. However, something is nagging in the back of my head that it isn't quite that simple. For example, I was raised, and have my entire immediate family in the org. Everyday I feel a huge tension between us- and the 'answer' is just to forget all about them and start my own new 'family'. Perhaps, but I'm not completely comfortable with that. Others on the board have truly complicated lives. What do you think?

P.S.- If you're a troll I'm going to kick your ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit