Who read the WHOLE bible at least once?

by JH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

I did it a couple of times. After I finished high school, I used to commute to and from post-secondary school by train - an hour each way - and used the time to read the Bible (instead of studying my course material which would have been a better way to spend the time.... ) and was able to finish the reading in less than a year.

In my second year of studies, I took an English course called The Bible As Literature (figuring it would be a breeze, which it was, since I passed with 99.9%) and was required to read the Bible (including the Apocrypha) from cover to cover again, but this time using the Revised Standard Version.

I always meant to re-read the Bible again afterward, using other translations, but never seemed to be able to bring that to fruition. However, I looked into Judaism after leaving the JWs, and read the Torah and Talmud on my own between 1998 and 2001.

We'll see what comes next.

Love, Scully

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Blondie I would to know how you liked the buddist stuff and the other like minded material. I have oftne wanted to research them but never give myself the time to. I hear they are alot more harmonious than the bible.

m0nk3y

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, monkey, that Buddhist stuff, some is good, just like some of the WTS is good when truly based on the Bible. The real test is do the adherents live by it. I just pick out what helps me be a better person and be a better person toward others and I discard the rest. There are at least 5 different schools of Buddhism and I have not found Buddhists to be any more peace-loving than other groups. I live near a large enclave and have met the Dalai Lama once. It was just like meeting the GB members.

I would recommend checking into the local voc/tech or university to see if they have an introductory course. That's what I did and also took a class in Islam.

Blondie

http://www.aboutbuddhism.org/Buddhism-beliefs.htm

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"It is not how many times you have been through the Bible, it is how many times the Bible has been through you."

I used this jewish saying one time in my talk, got my a** reamed by the elders after the meeting!

• blondie
    blondie

ThiChi, what was the specific concern? Sounds like a good saying to me. I have heard brothers say way worse from the platform. Control freaks, eh?

Blondie

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yep I have read it a few times... Still trying to read it again. But I have come to a point in my life -that just Knowing God -personally !! is all I need - not religion! not being pressured to get Knowledge about the bible- Its there when I want to read it- & I can look out my windows & see the trees, birds,bees, sun, flowers etc: So I know HE made all things. I dont have to try to convince any one to believe ...I love em weather they do or dont.....But I do feel blessed to be free of the BORG!!!!! even though I had many happy times with them---

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Never did as a JW, and my life has been better without God, the Bible or Religion. I think I'll keep it that way.

ash

• Mulan
    Mulan

yes............a few times.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Yes, I did. The one thing I found amusing is The Breastplate of the High Priest. There was a stone for each of the twelve tribes. Same as there is a birth stone for each month. Odd isn't it?

• crownboy
    crownboy

Yup, I have been through it, and that was precisely the reason I started to doubt and disbelieve its veracity.

I'll definitely agree that reading the bible unbiased gives you a far different perspective than the JW one. Jesus would have been too liberal to make it as an elder today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit