Going where the "Need is Great"

by OUTLAW 30 Replies latest jw friends

• lollydawdle
    lollydawdle

Poor you, Mouthy! I can relate to you experience. I lost out financially too. I quit a good paying permanent job I got after finishing high school, at a Trust Company in Montreal, so I could "pioneer", and I did not even enjoy going to door to door. I used to hope the people weren't home! (I was too shy to be a successful pioneer.) I only had a high school education, so all the part-time jobs paid minimum wage and no pension. Then when I got married my husband wouldn't buy life insurance because he was going to live forever! Well, guess what? He didn't live forever and I'm still trying to catch up financially! But, I'm so thankful to be free!

• mustang
    mustang

Remember that??? Oh, yes; my folks did it in the 50's!!!!!!!!

Mustang

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Oh, yes; my folks did it in the 50's!!!!!!!!

and!!!!... like where'd they go .. what happened .. did your sweet mother go jungle mad and have a love child with a downed air-pilot and name the boy after his hot smouldering fighter jet? ... tell me what happened mustang ya cruel bastard !!! .. <--- unc about to blow his curiosity valve!

• berylblue
    berylblue

Hey, I went where my need was greater...the liquor store.

Beryl

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Bittersweet,

Back in '86 my sister went to County Cork Ireland to serve where the need was great. She met her now husband there

Sounds like your sister went where her need was great! LOL!

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Lost Diamond, Yeah,my sister couldn't find a husband in the States,but she had no problem finding one overseas!15 years and 2 kids later,she's still happily married!

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

My parents drug four kids with them to serve where the need was great back in the 80s. I didn't want to go and leave all of my friends and school but had no choice. We were poor to begin with, before we moved. We were dirt poor after we moved, we got the government free cheese (it was that bad). Us kids loved that cheese though. I don't remember getting any health care while we were there: no dentist or dr. appointments, there were lots of hand-me-down clothes, etc. I started working at a fast food restaurant when I was old enough and bought my own glasses, I couldn't see the chalkboard at school. We served there for three years!

What were my parents thinking?!?!?

• MacHislopp
  • MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Outlaw,

thanks for the unusual topic. Personally I never digested that expression:

"where the need is greater"!

Sf: thanks for the web-link.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• Eric
    Eric

Outlaw,

Wow! Very similar story with my parents...

The hippie movement was coming up the west coast from California, and my father didn't like what he saw invading the "Sunshine Coast" of B.C. Literally ran for the hills, and took a "where the need is great" assignment in McBride in 1967. (We almost went to Alert Bay, but my mother was uncomfortable about all the native Canadians, she still thinks their wood-carving artwork of stylized man/animal faces looks demonized.)

Worked very hard at spreading the good news, we did, but you're not likely to break down the viewpoint of a bunch of Menonites, are you?! My father had a return visist with some Seventh Day Adventists that would go on for two, three hours. It struck me as a young boy listening to those back and forth discussions that they believed very much what we did, with some interpretive variation and if God was likely to wipe out either their family or ours based on a literal or figurative new earth interpretation it would be good if He could make things a bit clearer.

We had some calls on total hermits living away in tar-paper shacks, tobacco smoke soaked into every pore and fibre, wearing dank sweat-stained underwear and a t-shirt and eating beans right out of the can cooked over the woodstove. "Man doesn't want to live right now" I thought, "what makes us think he wants to live forever?"

We went back to visit our old congo, they had filled the hall to capacity and had had a split.

We had recruited one horny guy who married a visiting young pioneer sister who was spending a summer with us. Well done!

Eric

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit