Going where the "Need is Great"

by OUTLAW 30 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lets go back in time,back to the late 60`s early 70`s..Armagedon is coming and the WBTS wants it`s members to sell every thing they got and preach in areas where there are few or no dubs..Where did the people you know go?..My parents packed up their belongings and went to..The Friggin bible belt of B.C..LOL! A good wind storm would knock a few christians out of trees there were so many..A bloody church on every street corner,and every one of them had the truth..So why the bible belt?..There were`nt many dubs there at the time,but most importantly property was cheap.A smart dub could make a killing at Real Estate,and they did..More money than you could shake a dead donkey at,LOL!....My bud`s dad also went where the need was great.The dumb-ass religion broke his family up,his wife being a none believer and all.So where did my buds anointed dad go?..Hawaii,LOL! Where else would you go to rough it out till armagedon? One of his favorite places to preach?..A Buddist temple.The monks were happy to talk religion all day long,and he got his time in..Bizzare but true......OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

I remember a few people going to where the need was great. I also remember many that either wanted to go to Bethel or serve where the need was greater.....You know why? Because they HATED their congregation and wanted out so bad that they would go to Timbuktu. And if they left for these types of assignments they were virtually treated as gods.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I remember that.

Seemed like, back in the late 70s, especially in Canada, everyone was headed to: QUEBEC

For me, I stayed put for the most part in Atlantic Canada. I simply moved further north in the province to 'serve where the need was great'. Honestly, it was fun and I did enjoy it to some degree.

But eventually, I was so damn poor and my unemployment premiums were running dry, so an opportunity came for me to go to Toronto. So I did.

My exit was not long off. A little over 4 months > Rayzorblade was on his way out the Kingdom Hall door.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yep, my parents did it twice. Now, to be fair, both instances of "going where the need was greater" coincided with a juicy job offer for my dad in a rather exotic location: first, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands and then the Northern Territory of Australia. Believe me, the deals my dad cut with the companies he worked for did not leave us starving. My dear old Uncle Paul, on the other hand, made the big mistake of writing to the Society and asked where he should go, so he ended up in Del Rio, Texas, a border town whose only two claims to fame are (1) Wolfman Jack broadcast from Ciudad Acuna, across the border from Del Rio, and (2) the "Lonesome Dove" miniseries was filmed there. The actors in that miniseries said the best thing about Del Rio was seeing it in the rear view mirror.

Nina

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

So you bin well and truly biblebelted OUTLAW .. well that explains everyfink!!!

Some people recon sophisticated Adelaide is about as far away as anyone can get but it ain't true!!! South Australia is the driest place on earth (bar Antartica) with small towns and isolated properties scattered near and far. (you've never really been isolated till you've spent a few nights alone in the SA outback lol ) I had nothing to sell so for me "serving where the need is greater" just meant loading up ones bicycle, riding to the nearest bus or railway station and heading to some bush witnesses house. . Funny how little a bloke really needs .. the box of literature i peddled was usually much heavier than the spare cloths and stuff i carried.

Witnessing in rural South Australia I had some of the best times of my life (and i've had a good life :) .. shouldn't i feel guilty admitting that I enjoyed being a JW so much? Sure i was a slave but hey, being a watchtower slave wasn't as bad as shooting drugs in Hindley street or gooks in Vietnam

here i am sent me, unrepentant bruce

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Back in '86 my sister went to County Cork Ireland to serve where the need was great. She met her now husband there. He was from England, and he also was serving where the need was great. As soon as they hooked up, they got out of there, and as far as I know, they've never gone to any other place to serve where the need was great. They are unfortunately still in the org though. Lots of people in my old cong go every summer for a few weeks to serve where the need is great. I never wanted to do that . I had a hard enough time preaching in my own element, never mind an unfamiliar one!!!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

All three of my sisters, at one time or anther, left rural Saskatchewan for Quebec.

Now, since all of the dubs have left for more needy areas, most of the congs in rural Saskatchewan are being disolved, and so people are being encouraged to move back. What a stupid waste of energy.

• sf
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good morning all..It`s a beautiful day in the Great White North..The year 1975 affected so many people from around the world as this thread shows..Some made alot of money,some lost everything,some like Uncle Bruce just had a good time..Trust Uncle Bruce to have a great time just before the "Apocalypse",LOL! The World is going to end,Yah-hoo! Thanks to you all for your posts..Hopefully we will get more good stories on this thread,there are so many of us who lived through this era...OUTLAW

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was IN Quebec --- where the" GREED" was great. I had a marvoulous time from a JW veiwpoint .Ugh! hate to admit it I made 10 people JWs .. I did have a lot of laughs though I must admit.Sorry folks I loved going door-to door.. Guess its because I love to talk.... I really did think I was preaching LIFE!!!!! Then I was told by the Circut servant I had to go to work- ( Cos my hubby had complained about me working free for them when we had no money)I went to work as a buyers assistant at THE BAY!!!! They wanted me to move to Ontario & be an assistant manager of "Shopright" a side line of the BAY...But I didnt take it ->>> It was to close to Armeggedon!! They went down after a few month & its employees were awarded a nice tidy sum!!!! Yep Another loss on account of being under mind control .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit