NASA hiring religious leaders on extraterrestrial life....

by mikeflood 21 Replies latest social current

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

JWs have never had a problem with dinosaurs, in fact they devoted a whole Awake cover series to them. They aren't young-earth creationists so there is no problem, and most Christians also see what they believe are bible verses mentioning dinosaurs.

As for aliens, CT Russell himself, both in his books and in the Photo Drama speculated that there may be other intelligent worlds out there that have their own divine purpose to be fulfilled.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

A funny thing about ETs...

...American Evangelical ideology and cosmology (the JW variation included) doesn't really allow for the possibility of them.

I have, in fact, heard that it's one of the real reasons why UFO research has been so publicly stymied in the US for so long...

...numerous high-ranking military officials and politicians have subscribed to those belief systems and used their influence to avoid the issue, because it too deeply - and uncomfortably - challenged their belief systems.

Not to mention that politically, Evangelical Christians were too large a voting bloc to... well... alienate.

BTW... even as a young guy, I'd grasped that if a full-on First Contact scenario actually took place, the WTS would not handle it at all well.

• Ding
    Ding

How would the WT react?

Remember that the WT is always right, even when it's wrong, and that everything is proof that it's God's organization.

Hadn't Russell or Rutherford (I forget which) once taught that the moon was inhabited?

The WT will say that this proves they were on the right track all along and that their teaching just needed the refinement of new light (it was Vulcan, not the moon).

Oh, and by the way, Armageddon is just around the corner...

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Can you imagine how people on this planet would react---if they knew there was someone like this out there

Superman movie quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkh8n49ic0A

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

To tell you honestly, I believe if it was confirmed about ET life out there,,,,it would go over like a lead balloon in Dubland pretty much.

• Overrated
    Overrated

First Contact with ET's would put Watchtower into shock. And any other group as well. The followers would be some in denial or shock.

• jhine
    jhine

truth_be_known l haven't read through the other posts but l would just like to make this observation. Christianity does not just consist of American Evangelicals . American Christianity does not just consist of Evangelicals. There are Catholics and Anglicans as well, who have no problem with evolution. I have mentioned Hugh Ross and other scientists who are Christians ( as opposed to Christian Scientists) before . Hugh Ross has written many books on the subject of the beginning of the universe. John Polkinghorne was a British scientist who was also a member of the clergy in the Church of England. He's also written many interesting books . Please don't judge all Christians by the words of what are , worldwide ,only a very small minority.

Jan

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''A funny thing about ETs...

...American Evangelical ideology and cosmology (the JW variation included) doesn't really allow for the possibility of them.''

In JW land, and such groups, there just is no absolute possible way for ET's. Their entire belief system would collapse in on itself. That's why the argue so vehemently against it.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The JW’s would simply say: we never said it wasn’t possible, the Bible clearly hints at these things (see Ezekiel), now we need to find a way to preach to this new field,

• titch
    titch

Greetings, all: You know, something that I've wondered about for a long time. If---and I do mean IF---extra-terrestrial beings are discovered, or, they somehow reveal themselves to us Earth inhabitants.....What makes Evangelical people THINK that they, the extra-terrestrials, NEED to be preached to? What makes them think that? Supposing---just supposing----that they, the ETs, have a better understanding and knowledge of the origin of the Universe, and, of a creator, than we have. And that we, human beings, Earthly beings, need to be "preached" to, or, instructed? I wonder about that. Best Regards.

Titch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit