If anyone ever makes the claim that they don't focus on Money ALL the time...

by HiddenPimo 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HiddenPimo
    HiddenPimo

I saw this mentioned on Reddit but no link - I found the article form this weeks Bible Study....

In the “Congregation Bible Study” part of the meeting this week there was a part that said and I quote: “Only Jehovah God and his Son can receive someone into the heavenly Kingdom or the Paradise on earth under that Kingdom. We should diligently cultivate friendship with them by using what material riches we have in supporting Kingdom interests”

• rickroll
    rickroll

I gave at the office

• blondie
    blondie

When my husband did accounts as an MS/and elder, he was told to be sure to ready all the acknowledgement letters from the WTS on the platform, usually the part "accounts report" regarding the donations sent in. He was told it would be indirect way to remind the "brothers and sisters" to donate. I don't know if that do that any more or even give a monthly account of the donations that month and the expenses, and whether they were in the black or in the red.

If that wasn't dunning every month, and every letter.

Edit 1 here is a quote from the 2016 God's Kingdom Rule publication:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014257?q=accounts+report&p=sen

Each month, the brother who cares for the congregation’s accounts prepares a financial report, which is read to the congregation.

Edit 2 (2008)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/202008322?q=accounts+report+letter&p=par

10 min: Local announcements. Read accounts report and donation acknowledgments. Discuss the branch letter, which appears on page 1.

• sir82
    sir82

Every other Christian denomination: You are saved by faith / grace

JWs: You are saved by "cultivating friendship with God by giving us your money".

Actually, that's probably unfair - come to think of it, there are plenty more Christian denominations which tie their adherents' salvation to their generosity.

• blondie
    blondie

The Mormons practice tithing, having members present their income tax filing and calculate the amount of tithing by the "gross" amount. Tithing implies that their salvation is tied to money.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

When the wt had products to sell, namely printed literature, and millions of "publishers" (publishers=sales persons--lol) out regularly selling their products, money was not as big an issue as it is today! Sure the wt can buy and sell real estate but that is not the same as a steady monthly income from millions of sales persons selling literature. So they gotta ask for cash and of course by tying it to our relationship to jehober and jesus it's now a "sacred" privilege to donate!

just saying!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

All organized religions become more corrupt in direct correlation to their size as all hierarchical structures moves towards corruption.

Its simple: The bigger the hierarchy, the more moving parts exist and the more it leans towards corruption.

The JW religion only differs in its legalistic approach and focus on “undeserved kindness” vs Grace. Even if you’re an Xian saved through Grace, you are still pressured to donate money, especially in a larger organization because they need even more money.

In the end it doesn’t matter if you’re in a small Church or Mega-Church. You gotta keep the lights on, as they say. We all know that God isn’t paying the light bill, so humans have to do it.

We may never be rid of cults as a species, but maybe we will find a way to manage them, and only those that are accountable to society and completely transparent while helping the community will exist in the future.

That’s going to be impossible unless:

1) Xianity is true.

2) Xianity goes back to the model of the 1st Century; that being small, independent congregations actually being directed by God.

That’s my two cents, and No Tomo, you can’t actually have my two cents.

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religion is very much about power and money in its structured operations, even the JWS.

Its also about lies, ignorance, fear , superstition and corruption mostly instigated by wanting men.

• Spiral
    Spiral

In the “Congregation Bible Study” part of the meeting this week there was a part that said and I quote: “Only Jehovah God and his Son can receive someone into the heavenly Kingdom or the Paradise on earth under that Kingdom. We should diligently cultivate friendship with them by using what material riches we have in supporting Kingdom interests”

So, apparently, according to the bOrg, the GB, Jesus, and Jehovah are all up for taking a bribe.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Diligently cultivate friendship with God and Jesus through money donations! Clearly this is the kind of friends the GB keep. But surely, even a JW would either get depressed or finally wake up on reading that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit