Video: Governing Body's Ridiculous Viewpoint of Higher Education

by Golden4Altar 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The J.W org. as usual says one thing and does another, as LHG said they are down on Higher Education because anyone who uses a measure of Critical Thinking Skill has questions that the Org. cannot answer honestly, truthfully, such a person is a danger in their midst, that person is aware of the smell of Bullshit, if not the actual length, and breadth, and quantity of it.

As one of my sons said when explaining why he did not stick with the being a J.W

"At University we are taught to question EVERYTHING, and HOW to question it !"

It is that kind of questioning the org. cannot have the R&F doing.

But as an Elder pointed out to me, decades ago, in Bethels they use the Educated, if they can find someone with the education and skills who is a J.W, he or she will be used, and even fast-tracked in to Bethel.

And as we now know, if they cannot find a suitable J.W, they use highly educated and skilled "worldly" people.

Hypocrisy of a very deep and obvious nature. Their stated viewpoint on Higher Education is given the lie by their actions.

• Halcon
    Halcon

You can't get expelled for going to college. Half the congregation I go to is/went to college. However, nobody talks about it so it's perfectly fine.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They try to discourage it, but I don't think they have ever expressly forbid it.

I've told this story before, but I knew an elder who was getting into arguments with his daughter because she wanted to go to college and he would not hear of it. He was at Bethel one day and asked Albert Schroeder (GB member) what to do, and Shroeder asked him "has she ever given you any problems before?" The elder said that no, she had not. Schroeder replied, "then why start a problem with her now?"

In other words, he got the okay from a governing body member to let his daughter go to college. I have no doubt that, during this time, they must have mentioned the "risk" of going to college a couple of times, if not more.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    You can't get expelled for going to college. Half the congregation I go to is/went to college. However, nobody talks about it so it's perfectly fine.

Exactly. My last congregation had real businessmen who were the elder body and all their kids went to college. They understood what the value of education was.

However, in the 1970's, a friend of mine went to secretarial school after high school and she got a load of **it for it. Her father wasn't a JW, and she still went, but what a load of crock.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    The Universities do not teach anything healthy if that is what they learn to be political rioters.

Nothing like generalizing everything into one pot. Someone hasn't a clue about education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit