"Thanks for the thought" - how the religion robs people of normal humanity

by stuckinarut2 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Stuck

These kinds of people do not deserve "our thoughts." The JW's are really looking much like the Pharisees.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Does that mean that we can't get together and have a glass of wine and some snacks and bring each other up to speed with each others' lives?

Exactly. Because the Borg tells them that you are "spiritually weak" and you are a threat to their own spirituality.

I was mistaken to have been calling them friends, I guess.

IMO that's what hurts the most -- when we find out that none of them were "true" friends. They were at best "conditional" friends and likely many of them were just acquaintances, that is, they attended the same church.

• helpmeout
    helpmeout
    I agree with everything said in this thread. My wife and I are treated with disdain by people that we have been nothing but kind to for 30+ years. All because elders labeled us for not allowing them to interfere in our family. However, our family is at peace and happier than we have ever been. We have come to appreciate the value of unconditional love and friendship.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks everyone for the replies.

This family are not even what would be called "spiritual giants" in the congregation.

The husband deliberately stays on the fringe. And yet, they have acted so over righteously!

Not true friends.

But , we rest easier with an honest heart for acting on our impulse to show kindness. $60 of wasted flowers, but a priceless attempt at kindness....and a priceless lesson learned.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The kind of people that stay in a high control religion are the kind of people who would rather follow the rules then show any independent thinking. And unfortunately that includes who they can remain friends with.

Friendships, even marriages and your relationship with your children....... is conditional in the organization.

How bad does this get? In modern times we have Jonestown with over 1,000 suicides, including forced suicides and murder. Unfortunately I have never read of any push back, fighting to protect their familes, over powering the guards etc. Just meek compliance.

While I have never talked to a JW who favored or even understood what happened at Jonestown the JW's face a Jonestown every year! Be it the ban on blood, the torture of shunning, the lack of higher education, decent jobs, the ignorance which is worn like a badge of honor. And all the time that is spent preparing to live in a world that will never exist.

I always thought my wife and I were way better off leaving that kind of thinking behind.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    stuckinarut2 - "The husband deliberately stays on the fringe. And yet, they have acted so over righteously!"

You scared them.

And maybe they resent you a little for having the balls to do something they don't... go past the fringe.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Taking an alternate view, maybe the father's death has hit them harder than you recognize. Perhaps they are in shock and consumed with grief and so are not acting as themselves and are not associating their behaviour with acting rudely.

Friendships work in two directions so you may want to give them some benefit of doubt, particularly as they have remained close even after you both stopped attending.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"And maybe they resent you a little for having the balls to do something they don't... go past the fringe."

Vidiot got that one right on!!!! They could be very resentful of you. You stood up for what you believe in. This is something the majority just won't do. They live in fear. Watchtower instills constant fear in the rank in file. They know it works with the majority. 100% manipulation!

They don't deserve you and your wife Stuck!!!

Like DOC says: The best revenge is living a happy and successful life!

We are showing our family that we are truly happy since exiting. I believe that they are perplexed by this. KEEP EM GUESSING!!!! LOL

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

DOC

”spiritually weak” is according to the borg, something very contagious and mortally. It´s like the “black death” in Europe 1348. It spreads very fast and the best thing is to run away were you can´t find any infected with the virus which is naturally only among those that are in “a god stand”.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    DesirousOfChange - "The best revenge is living a happy and successful life!"

No, it's not!

It's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvFNLAnYNw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit