Peace vs War

by songmistress 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

What absolute garbage. http://www.ecoglobe.org.nz/nuclear/dupict00.htm go there, and look at those babies, and you tell me the US isn't as bad as the Saddamn.

• jelly
    jelly

Looked at the pics, and Im telling you Saddam is worse than the us.

Terry

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Okay, Charlie. The US isn't as bad as Saddamn. Feel better?

• wednesday
    wednesday

It does appear we are going to war, and how it will end, and who all it will involve, no one knows now. But my parents were around during WW2 and the very pro USA spirit that enveloped them. b/c they were jws , they lost their jobs, and many things happened to them. I am wondering if we could get to that point again? It is one thing for a Dixie Chick to open mouth , insert foot, and suffer consequences. But for an ordinary person, who is not involved with entertainment/politics to lose their job -well? Worries me, b/c when people are very swept away by emotion, the fact that someone is an xjw may not mean much to them. This could not happen? it sure could. It has before. And i almost understand it, especially if people hate the usa and are a part of hate orgs.

any thoughts?

• NewSense
    NewSense

Wednesday, you have a hell of a lot of nerve accusing me of "stalking" you. I would never stalk anyone, ***********************************************. You're trying to stifle my freedom of speech. I got news for you,*********; it's not going to work. ***********************.***************************************************************

***************************************************. For example, we all know ************************** that the Bible is divided into chapters and verses. What is the Qur'an (Koran) divided into? In ancient days, Iraq was the site of what great civilization? What do Moslems believe about Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Mary, Issac? When did the prophet Mohammed receive his revelation, that is to say, when did Islam begin? When Moslems speak of "jihad" ("holy war"), do they mean a literal war fought with real weapons? Or, do they mean a psychological and spiritual exercise intended to steel and stregthen one's faith? Did you ever stop to think that Western civilization owes its very existence to Arab/Islamic culture? After the fall of Rome, during the Dark Ages, it was the Arabs who safeguarded Western culture.

I bet you're asking yourself what these questions have to do with the impending war with Iraq. My only answer is that********************* you would know the answer for yourself. **************************. Let me ask you again. Can you imagine a situation in which Jesus Christ would say that war is O.K? Can you honestly say that Christ is/was a coward? How can war be reconciled with Christian doctrine? ********************************************* What I want to know is, do you have any answer at all to my questions? Or, are you really too much of a coward to answer? And my last words to you are: No one had better try to stop me from expressing my ideas and thoughts. It won't work; I'm no one's puppet.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

New Sense: You continue using insults despite my courteous warning. I remind you that Simon has warned you before, as in

"NewSense: You make some good points and I agree with a lot of what you say but unfortunately you did it using personal attacks and insults which is not acceptable.

Please debate what people say and not who or what they are.

Your latest post is therefore being edited. Kindly comply with board rules if you wish to continue posting here.

Ozzie

• dedalus
    dedalus
    When we say that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, that might be true. But, remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Saddam and Bin Ladin each think the other is an infidel. Not sure what your point is. My point is that the administration is redirecting fear of terrorism against an enemy not responsible for that terrorism. I'm not saying Saddam is a good guy. I am saying that the administration is using dubious tactics to do what it wants to do, disregarding any objection, sensible or not. A number of reasons are offered for war -- morality, humanity, safety -- but these reasons, if they are indeed valid, have been there all along. The only thing that's changed is the historical moment -- with so much American anxiety about terrorism, and so much American blustering about patriotism, it's more possible now than before for the administration to do what it wants, whatever its real reason is. The "reasons" I've heard are, to me, unsubstantiated quips that, if true, should have been acted on a long time ago and in numerous other situations worse than the one with Iraq (Rwanda -- which, I know, was under a different administration, but it's impossible for me to believe that Bush would have handled that any differently than Clinton).

After being in the organization, it's healthy to be questioning, even cynical, of what other organizations do. I scratch my head every time I see that cynicism -- and the American right to express it publically -- ridiculed in the harshest, most degrading terms possible. Freedom of speech also means that people have the right to speak harshly, perhaps even insultingly, but that doesn't make it right or effective to do so.

I also have a problem with many of the argument from analogy. The Watchtower did that, too (i.e. you wouldn't forbid your child to have a painful operation to save his life, would you--and therefore it's okay for God to let the world turn into shit). The problem with analogies is that they blindly ignore the differences between the two things being compared, and that they sometimes make false argumentation look attractive. It should be possible to discuss complex issues without them. And if this issue isn't complex, I don't know what is.

Dedalus

• Brummie
    Brummie

nuisance

You ARE stalking wednesday, you read every word she writes just so you can spout your mouth off at her. WHY? If she disagree's with your ideas you give a string of verbal abuse...God help anyone who lives with you and dares to disagree with your opinion! You sound like a control freak, psycho!

You dont miss a word she says do you? Go and stalk the posting guidelines instead.

Posting Guidelines

To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    ...Forums may be moderated to make sure they stay friendly and welcoming, legal and relevant. We reserve the right to edit or delete posts at own discretion and without notice, which we consider to be unacceptable. If you repeatedly break these rules, you may be prevented from posting.

OK? we all agree to them, its not stifling your freedom of speech, its a suggested code of conduct! Threatened by it are you? If you think freedom of speech means you are free to go around verbally abusing someone then you have more mouth than brain!

No one is persecuting you just because they disagree with you, sheeesh you sound more self rightous than the GB.

No one had better try to stop me from expressing my ideas and thoughts. It won't work; I'm no one's puppet.

Your ability to communicate is a disgrace. Puppets communicate better than you, but then puppets dont have their head stuck up their ass do they!

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit