Peace vs War

by songmistress 47 Replies latest jw friends

• songmistress
    songmistress

For anyone who is interested, there are candlelight peace vigils being held Sunday night 3/16/03 around the world starting at 7:00 in all locations. Information can be found at www.moveon.org. These are intended to be peaceful, silent vigils.

We live in a country that values freedom, and this freedom, has to extend to both sides of the war issue. For myself, I would like there to be a peaceful solution, I am focused on and believe the world and this nation has divided itself enough. It is time to stop before we destroy ourselves. We are members of the human race first and formost. Violence only begets more violence. If you hit me, I will hit you. And then my people will come and get you, and your people will come and get us. On and on it goes. Where it stops, nobody knows.

What concerns me is that in the midst of war fever and possible blood lust, we have an either or/us against them/either you are for us or you are against us mentality when it comes to war vs peace. I see in the news, hear on talk shows, etc reports that have more to do with extremists. I find this very curious. I hear reports of teachers being disciplined for wearing buttons showing them to be on the peace side of things, but have not heard of anyone being reprimanded for coming out for the war. I cannot believe there are no extremists on that side of things. I fear it may be because war is the accepted thing right now and dissent on the side of peace makes one the enemy.

If your home is in a mess, where would your energy be best spent? I would think you would want to get things together at home before you start running off to help your neighbor. A husband or wife who neglects things at home could be considered guilty of abandonment. Is it different just because we are talking about President Bush. I read in our newpaper the Oregonian yesterday a quote from George Carlin. I don't have the paper here so I will try to paraphrase. He said in effect that war is something this country does well. Which is a good thing,because we cannot educate our children, feed our hungry or care for our sick and elderly. But we CAN bomb the S@#% out of Iraq. Is this something to be proud of?

This is only a small sample of what goes on in my busy little head. There is much more here. I am not in any way trying to be UnAmerican, nor am I against the troops or any other idea or attitude that is commonly held about those who desire there to be no war. That is the beauty of living in the US, we have the right to choose and the right to hold our own beliefs.

Blessings to all

Cheryl

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Thanks Song, that's exactly what I've been trying to get across to people, you just did a much better job.

• heathen
    heathen

I'm with ya on this . Saddam is exactly what you are saying , a fellow war monger but I think the US should leave the middle east affairs to the arabs .I don't think I will light any candles tho .I am not affraid to say that war is not the answer ,I've even heard some senators and congressmen say they think it is not in the best interest of the US to wreak more havock in the middle east but have a feeling that they will be swayed by public opinion in order to be reelected . They now believe that Iran has nukes and they are just as likely to use it as Iraq so what I think is likely to happen is a domino effect where countries will ally themselves in order to fight the great satan (USA) .Those people are nuts with all their religious crappola .

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Thanks Song, that's exactly what I've been trying to get across to people, you just did a much better job.

Charlie, maybe if you posted comments without all the personal insults, your message might be better received. I too agree with what Cheryl says. However, apparently those who flew the airplanes into the World Trade Centers and those trying to sneak into the country with explosives and such to do our citizens harm disagree, at least until such time that we give in and follow their rules and laws. History has repeatedly shown that giving in to and trying to appease tyrants just encourages them and results in a much larger war with a much larger loss of life. War isn't pretty and something not to be taken lightly, but it is what has kept us a free people. What has been going on hasn't been about vengence for September 11 so much as to ensure it doesn't happen again. We can give in to the Saddams and Osamas now out of fear of reprisals and probably give in the next time they demand we do something, or else. When will it be our women wearing Burkas and not being allowed to go to school or being murdered for wearing cosmetics. Yes, sounds far fetched, but the goal of the radical Islamic's is to force all to their views. Sooner or later, if not stood up to, they will being trying to force their views and laws on us too, after the other nations. Live and let live is a great way of living your life. Now, if only those of radical Islam were willing to do the same and some other tyrannical dictators followed it too, there would be no problems. The world tried live and let live with Germany and Japan in the 1930's and look at the end result there. I have no desire for another war and geniunely hope there isn't one. But, Saddam needs to be stopped. He is raping a nation and we are being encouraged to turn our backs, to live and let live. Would we do the same if a young lady were being savagely raped on your street? This is why, prior to war, I have called for all to stand together against Saddam and demand he comply, not to bring on the war, but to show him he must back down and stop raping and slaughtering his nation. Sooner or later, he will need to be dealt with. I pray for sooner, before more shots are fired and all out war is waged. But, the hatred and anger expressed against the Bush Administration instead of against the continual atrocities and terrorist training Saddam is doing throws support to him, not the condemnation needed to depose him and avert war. As you light your candles, also say a prayer that something encourages Saddam to comply with the 17 UN resolutions he refuses to comply with. Ask that he stop raping and slaughtering his own people and that he sees that his quest for power is more to blame than the hate felt towards our current president.

• songmistress
    songmistress

You are welcome Trauma. I had a feeling this is what you were trying to say, but things were getting a little heated in the other thread. Now take a deep breath and let it go.

Heathen, I haven't actually decided if I am going to participate in the vigil. I will see what tommorrow brings. I am just getting really tired of all the accusations and innuendos flying back and forth by one side or the other.

I will however concede that sometimes cancers (saddam??) may need to be surgically removed and if that is what ends up happening, I hope it can be done quickly as it probably should have been done during desert storm.

Just my two cents

Cheryl

• songmistress
    songmistress

Lew, thanks for your comments. I know you feel very strongly about the whole thing.

As you light your candles, also say a prayer that something encourages Saddam to comply with the 17 UN resolutions he refuses to comply with. Ask that he stop raping and slaughtering his own people and that he sees that his quest for power is more to blame than the hate felt towards our current president.
    This is a very good idea. I actually find myself feeling sad that there are people in this world who are so warped in their thinking, that they feel that victimizing those weaker than themselves is an OK thing to do. We are all members of the human race and the differences in reality are only superficial. Live and let live may not be real practical at this time, but I can hope and pray that sanity will one day prevail and human beings will find a way to bridge the gaps we have created between ourselves. Namaste Cheryl
  • heathen
    heathen

songmistress-- I agree that the thing should have been finished during the gulf war and so does people like Norman Schwartzkoff . The US likes to claim they backed out because they could no longer use laser guided missles due to all the smoke from the well fires . These people like to go to war but are afraid of casualties it's ridiculous. I am not going to be manipulated by the media again on these issues .I don't even believe that the US can create a democratic republic in the middle east . The nations they call allies over there won't even make moves in that direction.The saudies themselves have proven to be the traitors I always suspected them to be now that they have ties to the al quieda .It's really a damned if ya do and damned if ya don't situation.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Peace would always be best, but there is not going to be any peace.

That hope totally ended on 9/11.

We can sing peace songs and pray all we want, SH will continue amasing WMD and Korea is there too, and let us not forget China. it is too late, if we don't act, we will be acted upon.We will all be singing a different tune if there is another 9/11-and why won't there be? If the american people roll over for this -they just may as well give them the key to the white house.

Unless God really does step in and stop this.

No wonder people hated JWS stance on not fighting for your country. It is a supremly cowardly thing to do.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    Charlie, maybe if you posted comments without all the personal insults, your message might be better received.

Well I wasn't personaly insulting you, until you decided to do it to me, so kiss my ass, too bad I actually told someone you were halfway decent.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Well I wasn't personaly insulting you, until you decided to do it to me, so kiss my ass, too bad I actually told someone you were halfway decent.

Charlie, this is exactly what I was addressing. Nearly all your replies to any and everyone that disagrees with you contain insults. If you really do have a message, it is lost. Someone disagreeing with you is not an insult. But, you do show a good example of why there are so many problems abounding in the world. You are very intolerant of anyone elses view and don't mind saying so. That shows me that not even you can practice live and let live, but you demand that others do.

As for your offer, again I have to decline. I have a much better offer waiting for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit