Who is the Saviour?

by JW Answers 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

JW Answers:

You are very welcome! I might have listed quotes on a different topic than what you wanted. Maybe another cup of coffee will wake me up!

Want a cup?

Every person on this board has a quality or talent I wish I had. You have qualities, Cofty has qualities, everybody has qualities and talents.

Accepting each other for who and what we are and showing respect for what others believe, even though we may not agree all the time, we can still treat each other with respect, and move forward.

Especially when we are moving forward towards the Bar-B-Que and cold beer!

Atlantis!

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

You could also say - God is the savior of the world, because he provided a savior.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good point days of future

JW Answers says .....

because, when ye received the word of God

There is of lot scripture in the OT that cant be possible due to acquired knowledge through scientific investigation.

So someone was bullshitting .

All ancient civilizations created a relationship to their select god(s) and proclaimed their god told them to do this and that.

When the ancient Hebrews proclaimed that they are being directed by god (YHWH) through his word, where is the proof they just aren't making things up and then saying well its god's words and commandments ?

The high priests of given ancient civilization were always expressing ideas and thoughts channeled from their gods, so were the ancient Hebrews.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

It is a little bit silly to assume an infinite, all knowing & omnipresent God and then to imply that he cannot be manifest in the person of Jesus if he wanted to.

If people exist in three parts spirit, soul and body; and if we are created in his image, why can't God have three manifestations of the same essence?

The body of Jesus was from his mother. The Spirit of Jesus was the indivisible essence of God.

This understanding explains why Jesus could claim that "all power" had been given him and another time stated that the father was greater than him.

There are other seeming contradicting statements as well that vanish if Jesus was both man & God. At times he spoke from his human nature and at other times he spoke from is divine nature. There is no contradiction here.

• cofty
    cofty
    If people exist in three parts spirit, soul and body; and if we are created in his image, why can't God have three manifestations of the same essence? - Sea Breeze

And in one sentence you have committed two heresies — partialism and modalism.

It's as if trinitarians don't understand the trinity. Who would have thought it?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hard to believe Yahweh was the Hebrew's savior when he killed off the majority of the civilization during Noah's flood except one family.

.........just saying

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

It is a little bit silly to assume an infinite, all knowing & omnipresent God and then to imply that he cannot be manifest in the person of Jesus if he wanted to.

If people exist in three parts spirit, soul and body; and if we are created in his image, why can't God have three manifestations of the same essence?

Why does God have so much trouble making it absolutely clear that he's a threesome, in a book he supposedly inspired? Couldn't he foresee these problems beforehand? Maybe he likes to be mysterious.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

days ofp,

I think that the views of materialists have made it harder to grasp. JW's have pretty much the same view as materialists: We are just a body with some breath and electrical impulses mixed in.

Probably the vast majority of people on earth, past & present believe differently....that there is something that is immaterial, a consciousness... in addition to the body that constitutes "you".

There is only ONE "you" , yet you exist in more than one manifestation according to most. Christianity teaches that although God has three manifestations of himself, he is still just one essence, ONE God, not Three.

Jesus replied, "The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord..."

"Then they asked him, 'Where is your father?' 'You do not know me or my Father,' Jesus replied. 'If you knew me, you would know my Father also'" (John 8:19) "'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!'" (John 8:58). "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

1 Corinthians 10:8-10 KJV
    Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. [9] Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. [10] Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

So Christ was the One who was murmured against (the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus) and it was the Pre-incarnate Lord Jesus who sent the fiery serpents. Thus showing that He is God.

Never made that connection before. Thanks for posting this!

Early Christians knew this as well. I found this from Ambrosiaster 337 AD - 397 AD

"The Jews were putting Christ to the test, because it was he who spoke to Moses. Paul is warning us here not to do the same as they did." Commentary on Paul’s Epistles. [CSEL 81.3:110.]

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Whether they are one, three or an amalgamation - the actions that they take, are very different. While Jesus promoted compassion and forgiveness, God was pretty merciless and vacillating. Let's forgive David for having sex with a married woman but we will kill the child. Forgive him for murdering the husband - kill thousands because David went ahead and made a tally of the people but do nothing to him. And don't forget, David had a lot of wives. I guess God had his favorites. Too bad if you're not.

It reminds me of the multiple hindu gods. There are many, but there is just one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit