St.Patricks Day

by obiwan 23 Replies latest jw friends

• obiwan
    obiwan

O.K who here is Irish? It's St.Patricks weekend and time get that green beer, Irish stew and corned beef and cabbage. Who is partaking this weekend? Show your green.

• Matty
    Matty

I'm gawna get seriously droonk and act like a feckeneejit on the 17th.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I'm Irish! (Irish-Irish, not Irish-American) Paddy's Day here is a week-long festival of drunken debauchery (well not quite, but I'm going to behave as if it is anyway!)

After a diet of "green beer, Irish stew and corned beef and cabbage" I think anybody would be green!

See also http://www.theonion.com/onion3909/irish-americans.html

• Red
    Red

well...green happens to be one of my favorite colors and beer is definately my favorite drink..so by golly you can count me in. Don't know if I'm Irish--don't really care, but I will help them celebrate!!

Red

• outnfree
    outnfree

If I could put up an avatar, it would be saying "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" or some such!

I happen to hate beer of any color, so I'll be partakin' of some creamy Irish Whiskey instead, while cooking up a fine pot o' corned beef and cabbage on Monday.

outnfree RYAN

• rocketman
    rocketman

I never much liked this hoilday. No candy, just green stuff. Give me the food-oriented holidays anyday. Bring on the jelly beans for Easter.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Well, I'm half-oirish to be sure - so I guess ya can count me in

Where's OUTLAW? He'll join anythin'! LOL

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Red said : well...green happens to be one of my favorite colors

Then shouldn't your name be green ?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Sorry, to the Irish, but as it goes for spring festivals, the Finn's have the Irish beat with St. Urho's day on March 16th.

The legend of St. Urho began in Northern Minnesota in the 1950s. However, there are differing opinions as to whether it began with the fables created by Sulo Havumaki of Bemidji, or the tongue-in-cheek tales told by Richard Mattson of Virginia. Either way, the legend has grown among Finnish-Americans to the point where St. Urho is known across the United States and Canada, and even in Finland.

St. Urho's Day is celebrated on March 16th, the day prior to the better known feast of some minor saint from Ireland, who was alleged to have driven the snakes from that island.

The legend says St. Urho chased the grasshoppers out of ancient Finland, thus saving the grape crop and the jobs of Finnish vineyard workers. He did this by uttering the phrase: "Heinäsirkka, heinäsirkka, mene täältä hiiteen" (roughly translated: "Grasshopper, grasshopper, go to Hell!"). His feast is celebrated by wearing the colors Royal Purple and Nile Green. St. Urho is nearly always represented with grapes and grasshoppers as part of the picture.

Ode to Saint Urho

by Gene McCavic and Richard Mattson
    Virginia, Minnesota

Ooksi kooksi coolama vee
    Santia Urho is ta poy for me!
    He sase out ta hoppers as pig as pirds.
    Neffer peefor haff I hurd tose words!

He reely tolt tose pugs of kreen
    Braffest Finn I effer seen
    Some celebrate for St. Pat unt hiss nakes
    Putt Urho poyka kot what it takes.

He kot tall and trong from feelia sour
    Unt ate kala moyakka effery hour.
    Tat's why tat kuy could sase toes peetles
    What krew as thick as chack bine neetles.

So let's give a cheer in hower pest vay
    On Sixteenth of March, St. Urho's Tay.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Hey xjw

that doesn't look like no grasshopper to me Looks like sumtin else

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit