St.Patricks Day

by obiwan 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

I am currently living in Savannah, Georgia, home to the second or third largest St. Patrick's Day celebration in the world. This place goes NUTZ for about a week surrounding St. Paddy's Day. Businesses close. Schools are not in session. About the only businesses that stay open are bars and restuarants. There is quite a bit of "show us your tits" going on and plenty of showing, too. It's the only place on the planet where the bushes kick back. The parade is an afterthought. Everything is green: beer, grits, hair, skin, scrambled eggs, the stripe down the street, one year we dyed the Savannah River Green. The population swells from about 165,000 to over 350,000 on St. Paddy's Day. I don't have to do anything for St. Paddy's Day but be in Savannah. It's sort of a contact phenomena, like a contact high. It's gotten to the point where the craziness is over the top. Think Mardi Gras in a much smaller city, but with the same craziness.

Usually on St. Patrick's Day, I get in my car and go down to the Okeefenokee Swamp and hide out until things quieten down a smidgen. Or I just hole up at home. When I was a top 40 DJ in town, I rode in the radio station's van at the front of the parade broadcasting local color. It was fun then. No more.

I can't tell you what a thrill it is to have some drunken 17 year-old kid throw up green beer on your shoes at nine o'clock in the morning. Especially if he's been eating green scrambled eggs. No thanks.

But if you want to experience St. Paddy's Day as obsessive compulsive disorder, you couldn't do better than to come to Savannah. (At this late date, you'd better bring a tent. There are no motel room available in a radius of about 150 miles.) And be ready to party!

francois

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I'm not irish...I am scottish tho...that's close enough right??

I don't think I have ever celebrated St. Patty's Day...the opportunity just never presented itself I guess. I went out once, on the same weekend a few years ago...watched other people drink beer but thought better of it...hmm...I feel I have neglected this celebration...I shall have to look into ways I may celebrate this weekend...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'm not irish...I am scottish tho...that's close enough right??

OK, I'll allow it Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day anyway

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Being part Irish I plan to observe St. Pat's day by taking my Russian girlfriend to a cornbeef and cabbage dinner at the local Anglican church. Then after that we plan to stop at Outback Steak House for a couple of pints of Fosters. You might say, only in America. Athanasius

• Princess
    Princess

Sunday begins the running season with Seattle's annual St Patrick's Day dash, a 5K through downtown with a beer garden at the finish. I can't wait.

Monday evening we are having a few friends over for corned beef and cabbage, Irish potato bread and of course, Guiness. I love St Patrick's Day, we've been celebrating it for years.

Rachel

• Mulan
    Mulan

And we ARE Irish too, Princess. (thanks to Grandma...........Riley's) My mother is more than 1/2 Irish, thanks to her Irish father and half Irish mother. I guess I am about 1/3 Irish.

Your Dad, Scottish to the core, still loves the Irish food.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I'm 1/4 Irish. Not sure what 1/4 but it isn't the 1/4 that can drink anybody under the table.

• Mac
    Mac

Forget the green beer.....I want mine dark and heady and with a big Guinness slapped across the label! Done the St. Patties bar thing a few times but prefer to stay home and watch the Quiet Man with John Wayne and Victor McGlauglin (Sp) after a hearty meal of corned beef and cabbage and home made irish soda bread. (and if ya don't like it you can pog mo thon!!!)

mac, of the kiss me I'm Irish class

• Princess
    Princess

Yep, we have the Irish in us for real. Steve's family are Irish Catholics. Naturally they don't speak to one another. My little redheads have that Irish look about them.

Guinness for sure! I love it and will be buying ours at Costco where they sell it in LARGE quantities.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

No beer here, but I do have the corned beef and cabbage. Mmmmm, get it all to myself this year too

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit