Study Watchtower confirms shunning spiritually weak. How nice!

by Isambard Crater 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

"relatives, neighbors, coworkers, or schoolmates who are not worshippers of Jehovah" "do not understand or respect Jehovah’s standards". So everyone who doesn't agree with us, but we're definitely not a cult!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The concept of not keeping company with people who do not share your moral values is certainly not limited to JWs or even religious people; it is basic common sense. Why would you associate with people who disregard your sense of right and wrong?

However, the message boasted by the watchtower is that you have little control over your own morality and even small exposure to immoral people could be disastrous for you. This takes away the concept of helping people who indeed want to share your values.

Could you imagine a life guard who would not even try to help someone drowning for fear of drowning as well? Of course not! A strong swimmer with the right tools will be confident in his ability to help. Why should it be any different when it comes to your moral values?

If your morals and your beliefs are so weak that a little challenge puts them at serious risk, then perhaps they were not worth upholding in the first place.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

WT has set up a us versus them attitude and is turning the heat up on this with the rank and file. They are looking more and more cult like everyday.

My message to them....there's the door don't let it hit ya in the ass!!! We don't want people in our lives who don't want to be there. We only want loving, kind and respectable people in ours. WT is very very worried that those "weak ones" are going to rub off on the rank and file. If that happens, more money will be walking out the door.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    As in Solomon’s case, one of the greatest threats to spirituality is friendship with those who do not understand or respect Jehovah’s standards

Solomon had 700 Wives and 300 concubines (Correct me if I am wrong in my math) and as the story goes, was influenced by them. (Why wouldn’t that happen?)

And Almighty Jah allowed this greatest womanizer who ever lived, to write parts of the Bible and people fervently consider that holy.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

I'm guessing at least 50% of us born-ins do the double life thing to the max extent possible. Everyone subtly knows who's in the first category and who the uber-JWs are. The percentage of double-lifers seems to increase with every generation/age (none of that overlapping stuff ) and be more open about it. It's all about being just JW enough to be not shunned. There are virtually no new recruits to halt the relaxation of local JW culture where I am. A family/elder that moved in is still in shock, but doesn't have enough power to make any meaningful changes. In fact... his kids appear to be slowly adjusting to fit right in. The elder JW grandparents are just seen as slightly senile/overboard or they have no desire to see their progeny kicked out. There could also be some nepotism overlooking things over time/generations. I wonder if upper-management is catching on to what's happening. They might be trying to stem that flow (far too late...).

• Incognito
    Incognito
    If your morals and your beliefs are so weak that a little challenge puts them at serious risk, then perhaps they were not worth upholding in the first place.

Exactly. I have long considered the beliefs held by JWs as personal, are not truly their beliefs since most would immediately accept without question, a change to those beliefs if WT told them to do so.

There is an apparent fear conveyed that JWs in reading, hearing or considering anything contrary to that taught by WT, will cause them to abandon WT teachings. In this manner, WT is in effect acknowledging its teachings are weak and are not true. Individual JWs further acknowledge this when they fear and immediately run from anything which challenges 'their' beliefs.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"Solomon had 700 Wives and 300 concubines (Correct me if I am wrong in my math) and as the story goes, was influenced by them."

INFLUENCED by them?

I am going to go out on a limb, and say that any man who is sleeping with 1000 women is NOT easily influenced.

He is one horny SOB; how did he have time for anything but 'visits' with the wives and lovers??

Blame it on the women, I guess!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    He is one horny SOB; how did he have time for anything but 'visits' with the wives and lovers??

He should have written the Bible, surrounded by wives and concubines... Holy Work Indeed

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's all about being just JW enough to be not shunned.~ StarryNight

I think there is a WHOLE LOT of that going on in JW Land!

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Wouldn’t the spiritually weak benefit from association with spiritually strong people? Most of “Christendom’s” churches recognize that.🙄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit