What JW Subjects Interest You The Most On This Site? What Doesn’t??

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Pistol, if JW Subjects bore you why are you here? Just asking

I like the drama on here on political subjects because many of the posters are not from the USA yet they are affected emotionally, maybe otherwise by what happens here. I find it fascinating that they have strong opinions on Trump, Biden, Conservatives and liberals in our Country. Yet they don't live here.

Since I've been here, I had no idea others countries had strong opinions on our freedom to have Guns, and the misinformation that the USA is like the wild wild west with hundreds of millions of murders.

I didn't know about their health care system, their immigration policies, their problems. Just reading some of their experiences makes me grateful for what I have because of living in what I believe is the greatest country in the world.

What I've come to find out since reading some post on this sub is that I really had no idea what other people in other countries thought about us here in the USA. I had no idea about the problems they faced. I'm trying to expand my knowledge of other countries and people because honestly I was very ignorant of what was happening in other parts of the world.Still am.

Now for the first time in my life I'm looking at news outside my county and it's hard for me to believe that some of the stuff happening in others places is actually real. But it is real.

But jw stuff-------LOL----They are only .001 of the population. I doubt they will be around in 40 or 50 years. They pose no real threat, they are on the decline, and the only ones holding the fort are those 60 years of age an up. The young ones couldn't care less about doctrine. Most of them figure out 607, 1914, last days, etc by the time they are 13 years old. And they do it using the internet and common sense. Plus there are tons of YouTubers who have something to say about the Watchtower.

The main concern of born in jws is not whether the Watchtower is God's Channel, but instead it is HOW DO I GET OUT AND TAKE CARE OF MYSELF ONCE I REACH 18 YEARS OF AGE.

Exjw reddit has over 60,000 jws most of them under 18 years of age. Their main concern is how to leave and afford college and a place to live. Not doctrine. Most already know the bible is not God's word, just a collections of ancient books.

That's basically it.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I like to read about goofy things witnesses have done, or said. Also, experiences with elders. I also am watching (and hoping) to see the Tower fall.

• Ding
    Ding

Even though many -- maybe most of -- us here are now well informed about WT theology and issues, there are always new ones joining the forum who are trying to sort through all of it.

I want to be of as much help as I can, being thankful for the people who helped me.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    LongHairGal

With regard to retirement, most people are grateful that they can retire at ALL when they reach actual retirement age and thankfully I planned for this and never listened to anybody’s foolish talk to the contrary!

LongHairGal, I know many single jw ladies who are in their 70s and working at whatever. Some never got married, some got married and got divorced, and some got married and their husbands passed. I feel sorry when I see them cleaning a office at night. No 70 year old lady should have to do that. But that is the price for continuing in the WT religion even when all the signs are there that it’ a sham. Good thing you got out in time.

On the other side of the spectrum I have met many single non-jw ladies who worked hard all their life. They never depended on a man to care for them. They got their hands dirty, and did whatever they had to when they were young and are now living a nice comfortable life enjoying their retirement. This is what we as humans need to do. We can't depend on another human, (husband or wife) to care for us. We have to look for ourselves and put that responsibility on our own shoulders.

The Watchtower teaches their members that Jehovah will care for their needs if they put the organization first. That is so dangerous and many are paying the price now that they are in their golden years. Sad!!!!!

My situation was the result of being forced to choose what kind of life I wanted to live. Of course I was born in a different situation than most of the posters here. They for the most part didn’t have access the internet.

But I was born in the internet age. I had access to everything by the time I was 5 years old. By the time I was 10 and attending the jw meetings, I was looking up Watchtower, 607, 1914, and the Bible on the internet. By the time I was 13 I knew the Watchtower was all a sham. By the time I was 15 years old, I knew my family was never going to leave the religion. By the time I was 16 I knew I had a choice to make when I turned 18.

Live the life of a JW which was based on falsehood and keep my family

or

Chose a life that I believed was normal and would make me happy.

I choose to leave my jw way of life which included my family and jw friends. I even had a jw girlfriend.

The internet guided my road to success.

I was young and strong, so I worked several part time jobs and went to school part time. I lived in shitty apartments for about 10 years. Bought a junky car for $400. It had bundle on the doors and fenders, and I kept buying used tires for about 10 dollars a pop for the next 10 years.

I stayed away from girls. Because I learned on the internet that girls lead to sex, and sex leads to children and children lead to responsibilities, and child caring leads to 20 or more years of caring for children and that is a good way to derail a plan of getting a good education and getting financially stable for the rest of your life.

My first degree was in business. This is where I learned about what it takes to be a business owner. I took extra classes – no credit – on political science- and Science courses.

I took a job as a plumber’s helper, unclogging nasty toilets and digging ditches and all the nasty stuff that the master plumbers wouldn’t do.

My boss saw that I was a hard worker and dependable so he slowly started showing me how to weld, some electrical, some construction, and some HVAC.

Long story short, I eventually got my master’s plumber license, my Boss sold his business and retired, I started my own business. Most of the businesses already knew me so they signed contracts with my company. I had to start hiring master plumbers quite quickly. I got contracts with many corporate companies.

My plumbing business extended to construction. Some companies wanted me to do their HVAC so I sub-contracted HVAC contractors and made money of them.

And ironically I didn’t lose my jw family.

I think a lot of it was meeting the right people at the right time.

Isn’t that how this crazy life works.

But also planning, sacrificing, and working hard was involved.

Just read the story of how Justin Bieber got started. He is a few years younger than me and his net worth is about 284 MILLION. All because “Someone” saw him on YouTube, reported him to Ellen. Ellen had him on TV. Some saw him on TV and the rest is history.

Now imagine Justine Bieber was a Jehovah Witnesses. Right now he would be writing letters and attending ZOOM meetings. And his net worth would be about $5 since he would be a Regular pioneer.

Life is crazy isn’t it, But it’s crazier if you stay in the Watchtower religion. No Retirement!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

These days I hope to find -

1. Posts dealing with anything new about the organization that might cause a PIMI to at least question the organization.

2. Posts dealing with what has been going on behind the curtain since the Watchtower began. We seem to have a wealth of former insiders posting here.

3. Posts dealing with historical facts of the Judeo-Christian world. The real truth behind the Old Testament and the New Testament.

4. Being able to help those who come here seeking help.

• minimus
    minimus

I always appreciated information from Bethelites, ex COs and people like that. That’s why Ray Franz’ books were so eye opening.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PISTOLPETE:

This topic of JWs who never planned for retirement is largely unknown by the general public.

These JWs toil and suffer in silence. Many of them are Baby Boomers who fell for the teaching that the New System would be here and they wouldn’t need to worry.

The hypocritical part that bothers me is that many of the older people who were preaching poverty to the then young JWs (and hosting gatherings) were all collecting THEIR pensions and were in the workforce and/or married to ‘worldly’ husbands...But yet they preached poverty to people who were young back in the nineteen seventies. I remember being labeled ‘unspiritual’ because I (wisely) wouldn’t quit my job to pioneer.

These older JWs are mostly all gone now. There’s a few of them I would have loved to tell off but good - and I would have tracked them down to do so!

• badcompany
    badcompany

I have mostly come here to escape politics. If I want politics I have dozens of sites to go to.

I've been on this site for ~20 years under various names. My favorite topic is what the current JW policies are. My parents are still active JW's (Dad a PO for many years). I've been DA for about 30 years and find it fascinating how their attitude and treatment of me changes over the years. I come here to inquire and find out how the policies have changed. Right now it appears to have gone much more liberal than the past. I visit them often and they even call me from time to time. That used to be a no, no.

I also am intrigued by input from former (and current) Bethelites, CO's and Elders.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I remember getting a copy of the Watchtower "What is God's Kingdom?" I wrote all over the cover in red ink that it's a delusional dream by some elites to enslave you into poverty.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Pete, your comments about other peoples perception of the U.S is interesting. Briefly, this is my take on it.

U.S. policy has affected the world for decades since ww2. On one side, you have the U.S and its allies, including my country, Australia. If America decides to go to war, even if its just about oil, we, and other allies, get dragged along for the ride.

On the other side of the coin is the country being invaded. They have American bombs dropping on their houses, killing their relatives. Their allies are also affected by American policy and the last few wars have been fought in countries that happen to be muslim, so other muslims around the world are also affected and feel they have a stake in American policy. This has led to terrorism around the world, which affects even more people.

This is just my explanation to show you what you may not see if you live in America. Other people might see it differently to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit